Snowshoe/Ski Opportunities around Eugene Cascades?

AaronW

I moved to Eugene this summer and am still learning the area. I want to plan an overnight back country snowshoe/ski trip for some friends and was hoping for some advice on specific areas/trails/shelters to look into. This would be for early January.

We are all strong skiers, though most of us have little-to-no (real) back country ski experience. My main concern is avalanches, as I'm from the Northeast where they are not very common. Other back country and winter camping stuff I am familiar with. We won't necessarily be skiing - it could be just snowshoes to a shelter - we just want to get out before school starts.

We won't have crampons or ropes - this isn't a climbing trip, though snowshoeing to the top of a hill (for a view or turns) would be sweet, if it is safe. I'm looking at the various shelters available for winter use around the local passes, and was hoping for some more specific direction or information to research farther.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do some searching online. i haven't been to them yet, but i know that there are huts down in the willamette pass area that you can XC ski into and spend the night at in the winter. those should be pretty accessible to you from Eugene.

After you find where you're going you should be able to get a good handle on how concerned you'll need to be about avalanches. some of the nicer XC trails & huts (i.e. the more expensive ones) will have groomed trails etc and should be fine. but of course, checking the NW avalanche center forecasts & conditions is a good idea for whereever you go.

• 3 weeks later...

There are lots of options around for both backcountry skiing, and for shelter use. There are a few shelters up by Willamette pass (Maiden Peak), the range from 3 wall shelters, to full on shelters with wood stoves. As for skiing road access is best in the southern part of the state, Crater Lake, Bailey, Thieslen, and McGloughlin, And Diamond Peak (depending on road access). If you are in Eugene still, you should look into the Outdoor Program at the University, there should be lots of skiing or snowshoeing trips going out once school starts back up.