Beacon Rock Stories

wayne

i only ran into the old boy the 1 time but heard many stories of him - i'll be there - where ya'll gonna congregate?

in the meantime:

"wise sir, do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best and only bulwark"

I PM'd both Kevbone and Grit, neither of whom have been here in awhile. I'm connected to Kevin on Facebook too, so I'll probably poke him there. There is also a Cascade Corridors climbing group on FB that I'll post something in once there is a date/time. Keep me in the loop.

Off

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Off_White said:

I PM'd both Kevbone and Grit, neither of whom have been here in awhile. I'm connected to Kevin on Facebook too, so I'll probably poke him there. There is also a Cascade Corridors climbing group on FB that I'll post something in once there is a date/time. Keep me in the loop.

Off

the plan is to meetup may 6 at 1pm in the beacon rock parking area, and then do a hike up.

On 12/7/2007 at 5:26 AM, wayne said:

Dennis Hemminger repeatedly told the story of when he was leading Dods and fell while his belayer was rolling a smoke. He didnt come out of that one real well.

Lucky only a few marks from the tree a flew past .  Wayne how about the time Ranger Bob busted us cleaning a new route by the parking lot , shit house. Only remember the good times at Beacon with good old boys , now its birds, rangers

4 hours ago, dpasquinelli said:

the plan is to meetup may 6 at 1pm in the beacon rock parking area, and then do a hike up.

sorry to hear that David, last time i climbed with Ken was in Colorado a few years back. He was a great friend and somewhat of a big brother.

RIP Ken...

Andrew

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ivan said:

i only ran into the old boy the 1 time but heard many stories of him - i'll be there - where ya'll gonna congregate?

in the meantime:

"wise sir, do not grieve

when a warrior is gone

That's really nice man.

Mentors rock, they show us what is possible beyond our limits and they do it from the heart.

Telling your buddy that you will catch them if they fall, that's style.

Edited by Chris Hopkins

You've been gone too long DH, heads up and spread the word that Joes been upgraded to "above average" decent person now and not to be F**ed with as in the past, since @ 3 weeks ago. Anyway, to Kenny's family, I didn't really know him, but I know how tough it can be, and wish you well. I'll touch base with a few folks who might not read it here that may have been buddies and let them know. FYI in case you don't know the climber trail to the S face is closed currently, something Kenny would have stepped right over, kicked down or at least taken a moment to piss on if he was here,  but let folks know where you want to meet up, maybe in the parking lot and head up to the trial right where the SE Corner tops out,  - hopefully you have good weather.

2 hours ago, billcoe said:

You've been gone too long DH, heads up and spread the word that Joes been upgraded to "above average" decent person now and not to be F**ed with as in the past, since @ 3 weeks ago. Anyway, to Kenny's family, I didn't really know him, but I know how tough it can be, and wish you well. I'll touch base with a few folks who might not read it here that may have been buddies and let them know. FYI in case you don't know the climber trail to the S face is closed currently, something Kenny would have stepped right over, kicked down or at least taken a moment to piss on if he was here,  but let folks know where you want to meet up, maybe in the parking lot and head up to the trial right where the SE Corner tops out,  - hopefully you have good weather.

Above average 😳 so like over five inches? 😮 Ken was cool, you were too busy raising ur kids to have met him.. displacement... go figure! Larry and I thought he was so cool that we called him the Fonz 👍🏻 It’s too bad, cause I woulda got to know ya as well. 

Cheers Bill 

On 4/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, pink said:

Rare shot of Ken... smiling. Hangin with Larry on LOTLP.. 

831B0649-1C53-4D3C-A783-4F20A6BF6573.png

This is Gail, Ken's former wife and mother of his kids, Denise and David.   Wanted to say it does my heart good to see such great stories and pictures of Ken on this site ! Hoping there will be a nice turnout at Beacon on May 6th for his celebration of life at one of his favorite climbing spots...when he couldn't be in Yosemite, of course! Trying to find Jim Opdyke, Google is failing me.   If anyone knows a way to contact them, or any of his old climbing buddies, please let them know that Ken has gone on to bigger and better things.  Looking forward to reconnecting and/or meeting you guys!

Edited by Gail (Pasquinelli) Zumwalt
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 6:45 AM, billcoe said:

Thank you, this was a shock and is very tough on the kids and me, for sure   I  appreciate your help in getting the word out!  You are absolutely right about what Ken would do with a "closed" route! HA! Yes, hoping for good weather, too...we all know how iffy springtime in the PNW can be!

On 4/10/2018 at 10:45 PM, ivan said:

in the meantime:

"wise sir, do not grieve

when a warrior is gone

Thank you, Ivan, I like that...

• 2 weeks later...

gail - not certain if you're monitoring this thread and don't know how else to get in touch w/ you - just talked w/ jim - we're thinking it's crazy to try to meet in the beacon lot main parking lot b/c the place will most likely be full and crawling w/ tourists - there'll be more parking and privacy if we met first at the boat launch?