we are fucked

pink

"Low margin business like agriculture"? I have family in ag, and hardly would their business qualify as "low margin".

"Concerning since I have two hives but they seem to be doing well and swarmed twice last summer for lack of creating room." - Seahawks

Two convincing arguments, same logic. :rolleyes:

The profit margin for the average farm, across all 2.1 million farms in the U.S. was -0.9% in 2003:

The USDA Report

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than a quarter of the country’s 2.4 million bee colonies have been lost — tens of billions of bees, according to an estimate from the Apiary Inspectors of America, a national group that tracks beekeeping. So far, no one can say what is causing the bees to become disoriented and fail to return to their hive

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/science/24bees.html

Concerning since I have two hives but they seem to be doing well and swarmed twice last summer for lack of creating room.

that because you believe in god and he only cares about people who stroke his ego. :wave:

Pink=dumb shit

:ass:

The profit margin for the average farm, across all 2.1 million farms in the U.S. was -0.9% in 2003:

The USDA Report

I just did, but we had a post storm. In addition to the above, consider that agriculture that depends most on pollinators, such as orchards, enjoy the lower end of these profit margins.

ok excellent, the source of the problem.

When you say "farming is a low margin business", it is certainly accurate as a generalization ; i myself am not big on generalizations, so that is what i took exception to.

if one lives one's life according to an understanding based on generalizations, one lives a life of mediocrity, imo, since generalizations are usually short on wisdom and high on conformity.

I know one commercial bee operator and let me tell you, they are very worried. They can't sustain losses of 75% of their hives more than a couple years. They will go out of business. Commercial scale agriculture would be impossible without them. There's a few places in China where honeybees were depleted because of industrial pollution and the fruit growers acutually pollenate BY HAND. Now that would be fun to do to 300 arces of vegetables.

Maybe they will figure out the issue soon enough.

The USDA Report

I just did, but we had a post storm. In addition to the above, consider that agriculture that depends most on pollinators, such as orchards, enjoy the lower end of these profit margins.

When you say "farming is a low margin business", it is certainly accurate as a generalization ; i myself am not big on generalizations, so that is what i took exception to.

if one lives one's life according to an understanding based on generalizations, one lives a life of mediocrity, imo, since generalizations are usually short on wisdom and high on conformity.

So, in other words, I won that round. Hey, and thanks for the life coaching, sense. I've always had a problem with conformity. Who would have thought that a jewel in the eye of the lotus would emerge from this cesspool, bathed in a piercing, crystalline light, to guide us to satori.

OK, on to my next mediocre experience.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The USDA Report

So, in other words, I won that round. Hey, and thanks for the life coaching, sense. I've always had a problem with conformity. Who would have thought that a jewel in the eye of the lotus would emerge from this cesspool, bathed in a piercing, crystalline light, to guide us to satori.

OK, on to my next mediocre experience.

trash, i fucking love you man. now get rid of that ghey scarf.

I know one commercial bee operator and let me tell you, they are very worried. They can't sustain losses of 75% of their hives more than a couple years. They will go out of business. Commercial scale agriculture would be impossible without them. There's a few places in China where honeybees were depleted because of industrial pollution and the fruit growers acutually pollenate BY HAND. Now that would be fun to do to 300 arces of vegetables.

Now that is scary!

The fact that we have our little "immigration problem" going on right now makes that a bigger threat. Not having enough pickers is currently a bigger crisis looming for us than not enough bees. If we run out of both, we're screwed. And you are going to see cherry prices going through the roof.

Now that is scary!

The fact that we have our little "immigration problem" going on right now makes that a bigger threat. Not having enough pickers is currently a bigger crisis looming for us than not enough bees. If we run out of both, we're screwed. And you are going to see cherry prices going through the roof.

Now if we could just import bees from Mexico...

...oh, wait.

The USDA Report

Hey, and thanks for the life coaching, sense. I've always had a problem with conformity.

no sweat dude, but you can just call me Guru (capitalize the G, please!).

As far as the conformity problem: your unique physique certainly keeps you outside the lines of conformity to a certain degree, but the behavioral aspects could be teased away from the common stock just a bit.

How to do this? It's a difficult dilemma, since any behaviours stimulated by a reaction to some unwanted thing have that unwanted thing contained within them.

I would prescribe meditation next to bald-faced wasp nests. This spring would be when to start, and it's the best time since they are a bit friendlier then.

The USDA Report

Hey, and thanks for the life coaching, sense. I've always had a problem with conformity.

As far as the conformity problem: your unique physique certainly keeps you outside the lines of conformity to a certain degree, but the behavioral aspects could be teased away from the common stock just a bit.

How to do this? It's a difficult dilemma, since any behaviours stimulated by a reaction to some unwanted thing have that unwanted thing contained within them.

I would prescribe meditation next to bald-faced wasp nests. This spring would be when to start, and it's the best time since they are a bit friendlier then.

Sense, you've strayed from the eight fold path of wasp knowledge. Bald faced hornets are very benign. You can garden very close to their nests without worry. I know this: I had a basketball sized nest only 10 feet from my raised beds several years ago. You will not find bald faced hornets in the high country.

I have already enlightened you on the habits of forest yellow jackets, which become aggressive in late summer and fall, not spring, sense.

Until you know the physical world, you cannot know the spiritual one.

The USDA Report

Sense, you've strayed from the eight fold path of wasp knowledge. Bald faced hornets are very benign. You can garden very close to their nests without worry. I know this: I had a basketball sized nest only 10 feet from my raised beds several years ago. You will not find bald faced hornets in the high country.

I have already enlightened you on the habits of forest yellow jackets, which become aggressive in late summer and fall, not spring, sense.

ahh little one (such rich irony!). i didn't wish you to know, but since you have forced the issue, i must tell you that, at your stage of development, you must start your meditation practice with the friendlier of the wasps. you are not ready to calm the fires of the forest yellow jacket, nor are you ready for the high country. this will come with time; you cannot force the issue.

ahh little one (such rich irony!). i didn't wish you to know, but since you have forced the issue, i must tell you that, at your stage of development, you must start your meditation practice with the friendlier of the wasps. you are not ready to calm the fires of the forest yellow jacket, nor are you ready for the high country. this will come with time; you cannot force the issue.

Ready or not, sense, I shall go to the high country tomorrow to begin my telemeditation practice, far above the bodi tree, bathed in the divine sunlight where earth and sky kiss.

The USDA Report

I want in on the multiple quote box thing too.