Smith Rocks late January early February...

scrambled_legs

I'm thinking about planning a trip to smith sometime late January to early February, what's the weather like then?? I know the nights will be brutally cold but is it a good bet that it'll be comfortable climbing during the day, or is it hit and miss then and possibly unclimbable?

Edited by scrambled_legs

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm, Smith Rocks or Redrocks? Two different places.

Smith is somewhat hit and miss, although Morning Glory wall and that area will still be popular once the sun hits it (10 am to 3 pm). As long as it doesn't snow, you can get some climbing in. Everything is still climbable, it just depends on your tolerance.

A good option would be to hit up all the out of the way stuff (Koala, Brenton spire) and by the time you hike out there, the sun is on the rock...... or hit up some obscure stuff that is usually closed due to nesting.

Redrocks is in good form, although the park closes early before spring break, so you have to be out of the park early (around 5 if memory serves me correct), which shortens your day considerably with the long approaches and hikes out. The canyons are going to be really cold, stay on the open walls.

Enjoy the trip.

Thanks summerprophet... ya a bit of a slip there, I meant smith but was planning red rocks if Smith wasn't in. I did both about 6 years ago but can't remember if it was early/late february or even March.

What temperatures can you expect? I was looking at a chart that showed the averages from -6 to 6 degrees Celsius. I remember wearing a t-shirt and sweating when I was there so I figure it had to be at least 70f or 20c. Does that happen in late January or early February or is it year round climbing similar to Skaha where you have to be part Yeti to enjoy it?

When is spring break? Do they close off areas like Black Velvet Canyon after five or is it just the loop road?

I went to Red Rocks in February once and got snowed on. We drove over to Arizona and went all the way down to Cochise Stronghold before finding it warm enough to climb. I think it depends on the weather systems that come through, and you can't predict them this far in advance.

scrambled legs,

it is just the loop at RR that closes at 5. Black velvet is cool- have you been in there-if not, a high clearance rig definitely helps, you can make it without but it is a slow go-- and/ or first creek trailhead which you can access a couple of differ canyons if you don't mid the hike. smith is hit and miss that time of year but i climb there year round, usually??? don't have to worry about too much snow down in the Smith canyon and it is usually ~ 5 degrees warmer down there than the Bend or terrebonne forcast say