Carry-on Rack??

Crillz

Anyone carry-on a rack on a flight lately? Me and my buddy were going to carry on a rack and rope in case our bags got lost - that way we wouldn't lose a day while they tried getting our bags to us. Any advice? Obviously we won't try to get nut tools past, just nuts and cams - what about chaulk?

Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if you make it onto a plane with a rack of any kind these days. I was flying down to Palm Springs out of Vancouver just before 9-11 for some climbing at Joshua Tree and almost didn't make it because the US custom guy figured I could possibly handcuff someone with several wire nuts and redirect the plane to Cuba or something (seriously). After grilling me with retarded questions like "who was Canada's first prime minister?" and "how many points on a maple leaf?" he seemed satisfied that I was a harmless Canuck. So, pack your gear into your luggage and bury it deep, including that chalk that looks remarkably like cocaine.

I normally only take shoes and maybe a harness onboard - everything else I can do without or make up for somehow if I really have to - though it would suck.

Stove can be a pain - it's really vague about it on the TSA and airlines' sites - so I take my Jetboil stove in carryon. Had a TSA-nazi sniff it for 5 minutes then call every other TSA clone within shouting distance to come sniff it (for fumes). Finally told me he was a backpacker and I had a nice stove and wished me luck on my trip and handed the stove back with a sad look. Guess he just wanted to take it home like all the ostensibly female TSA agents and their cosmetics over 3oz or in the wrong bag.

I've packed my rack in my checked baggage for the last couple trips and (knock-knock) had no troubles.

On the other hand, I forgot to take that last swill of water from my water bottle in my carry-on before going through security, and they wanted to confiscate the whole bottle(it wasn't a disposable one) rather than just dumping out the offending 4oz of fluid into the garbage. My bad for forgetting it was still in there, but do they need to trash the container along with the fluid to make their point???

Think carefully about taking anything through there that you want to keep.

I don't think I would carry gear on a plane anymore. Maybe a rope, but I would pack the metal. I just about lost some $100 pedals because there were debating on wether or not they could be used as a weapon.

I guess the other option is to leave with more than enough time, so that if they did say anything in security check you could go back to the counter and check your stuff in. It might be a little more difficult if you have connecting flights since some airport will have you go through security again.

I miss the good old days where I could bring my rack, one time it was ice gear. They had me open my bags because they ere curious what I had in my bag. I gladly showed them my ice axes and crampons and explained what they were for and they let me carry them on.

The times the airlines have lost my luggage has always been because either I was late checking in or the plane was late into an airport where I had a connection. So with that said if is a non-stop flight, just show up early to the airport and check your shit in. Most likely in the future the way things are going we won't be able to bring anything on a flight.

I carried on a full rack with big cams from Bellingham-> Vegas a year ago no problems, but this month I was told by a different airline and different employees at SEATAC that I could NOT carry on cams or nuts or carabiners.

I'd say plan on not being allowed to take any of it.

I've done it twice recently and nobody asked any questions. I was still a little nervous about it, but I made sure I had enough time to check it if they shut me down.

Bring a climbing magazine with you too - might help to show them what all of that stuff is if they start asking questions (most TSA employees will have no idea what a cam is).

Edited by SlickWilly

I carried on a full rack with big cams from Bellingham-> Vegas a year ago no problems, but this month I was told by a different airline and different employees at SEATAC that I could NOT carry on cams or nuts or carabiners.

I'd say plan on not being allowed to take any of it.

Why are you flying out of SEATAC? these guys have cheap airfare to Veags right out of Bellingham:

http://www.allegiantair.com/

After grilling me with retarded questions like "who was Canada's first prime minister?"...

Well Pierre Treudeau DUHHHHH.

...and "how many points on a maple leaf?"

Well 5 to 7 of course...hmmm

I just got back from Vegas, flew both ways. Always fly with your rack. It wasn't an issue, Ujahn heard about the nut tool on the way down, but boarded with it after they looked at the whole rack. You might put that item in the luggage. CArried the ropes too.

Shit, you don't want to lose something like that.

I accidentally had a nalgene 1/4 full of water in my work camera bag and they were so busy wiping the camera with the explosive attractant cloth they missed the water.

I normally carry my keys on a big@ss OP biner and clip it into my carryon - never had a problem with it - even some of the odd things clipped to it seem to get missed.

I know a guy who wrenched his water bottle out of the TSA's hands and chugged it. "What water?"