is ice climbing on road cuts illegal?

KingsMM

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that you asked about idaho, but from my experience there it was not a problem. After our day out (where at least 2 cops drove by), i checked the law and there was nothing about climbing, but as CBS said there are some public nuisance/distraction laws. They could probably cite you for destruction of public property too, i guess.

In Washington, people have gotten ticketed for climbing the roadcuts at Stevens Pass.

In Vermont it was never a problem.

Here though, my impression is that the parking is often more of an issue than the climbing since the road side is often narrow near the road cut (hence the reason for the cut) and parking in such areas is often illegal, even when you think you are all the way off the road. Sometimes cops keep their eyes open for abandoned, broken down, or slid off the road cars near these icy areas where people don't usually park and when they find out you are none of the above, they are annoyed at having stopped for no good reason. I think the nuisance/distraction issue is less likely to come up if your car is nowhere to be seen (parked in a lot or off a side road). I think proximity to ski areas increases the chances you'll get an annoyed cop too.

Then again, don't come crying to me if you get a ticket while following my advice. ;-)

I think it also depends on how far back the road cut is. If say, the road cut is within the egress of the road and hence under state ownership, I would say have at it. however, if it is further back from the road where uthe state land ends, then you may be on private property. i would treat each instance on a case by case basis. Do your research and have fun!

Most states I think don't have laws about climbing on road cuts or near roads. I think it will depend on the situation. When I was living in Maine, there was a particular road cut that was a local ice bouldering area. There was very little residential traffic on the road, and I never had an issue climbing there. There was another cut along the freeway that had some beautiful 60 foot columns, some friends went to climb them and were chased off by the police. I checked into it and there were no laws against climbing on the cuts, but the officer I talked to mentioned other offense that I could be charged for if I attempted to climb.