vasque ice 9000

goldenchild

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean you had a thumbs width of room when you try on just the liner, and then no room when you try on the liner and the boot? Maybe the liner is too big for the boot?

I think you are supposed to size the shell first, and you should have about 1.5 fingers fit behind your heel in the shell only with your toes at the front. Mine are fit this way. My left foot is a tad smaller than my right so my left liner shrank to fit it and it is a tad loose in the shell but doesn't seem to affect anything when laced up. There is a fair amount of give when you mold the liner, you need to make sure the shell is the right size first.

You mean you had a thumbs width of room when you try on just the liner, and then no room when you try on the liner and the boot?

Exactly, and I just checked there was about 1.5 fingers fit behind the heel.

So, I shouldn't be concerned until I mold the liner?

For those reading these posts and have these boots, what trips have you done with these boots? Do you recommend them? Are they good for ice-climbing?

And for those in Vancouver, Canada...where's the best place to get these molded?

Edited by goldenchild

I don't own those boots. but have ski boots with modable liners of which I am getting new ones later this week.

I will have to second what OlympicBoy said. You should have 1.5 fingers with just the shell not the liner. If you have that much room in the liner there is something amiss. When I bought my ski boots I had 1 finger in the shell. The liners were snug, not tight. Then I had them molded and they fit perfectly. Maybe the liner that came with the boot is too big for the boot?

GC, I have them and I used them in Peru this summer up to almost 20K. I got them because I was worried my single leathers might not be warm enough. It never got that cold, but the boots were extra toasty warm. I managed several miles of approaches with a giant pack with them on too and didn't have problems. I like em, but I'll still climb with my single leathers for anything but Rainier in winter here. They will work fine for ice climbing, probably great if you get really cold feet, but won't be nearly as sensitive as a single boot. They are a lot better than many double boots I've used (I like the sticky rubber), but I'm not an expert, they are the first pair of double boots I've owned.

My liners fit about like any other shoe, the left one was a tad bigger on my cause my left foot is smaller. A whole thumb is too much extra in the liner I would think. 1. You need to have room in the shel for a liner of the proper size. 2. A liner ofthe proper size should pretty much fit before it's molded, molding it will form it to your foot better, basically like breaking it in. It's like a hiking boot new out of the box, and then after you've been wearing them for a season. Don't expect miracle size changes.

Good luck. :-)

For those reading these posts and have these boots, what trips have you done with these boots? Do you recommend them? Are they good for ice-climbing?

Used them on Denali in June '06. They were so warm I could have left my overboots at home. They are the most comfortable double boot I have used. If my foot were a bit narrower I would opt for the LaSportiva Nuptse, but I definitely have a 'Vasque' foot type. Haven't used them ice climbing, but would expect them to perform adequately.

I love em, extremely warm and comfy. Been up Rainier and mount washington with em. and some non tech ice. and they'll be coming up denali with me in May. Im brining a pair of 40 below overboots but doubt i'll need em.

I've never had mine molded. Is this something I can do in my oven? at what temp for how long? and do I just slap em on and let them mold while sitting around or should I throw on a pack and go for a walk?

thanks everyone.

I actually got these brand new at a gear sale. I'm just concerned that with my foot in the liner it feels fine. But then it felt VERY snug when I put everything in the boot. Guess I won't know until I try it out in the field.

However, with my intuition liners, it feels awesome and even warmer :)