Mountain Gear props

DPS

Thanksgiving evening I decided a needed a new haul pack for cragging and bicycle commuting so I ordered one from Mountain Gear on teh internets. I was not in a hurry so I opted for the free shipping option. By Saturday (48 hours later) I had the new haul pack in my hot little hands. Hard to believe they filled the order and shipped it that fast over a holiday weekend! Nice work Mountain Gear.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mountain Gear folks rock :tup: I make a pilgrimage there pretty much every time i'm in Spokane, and always seem to run into someone I know from high school :P Great people, great service, and they know they're shit if you ever have questions!

Swung by on my way back to Seattle Yesterday...sigh....why we can't have a retail store with that amount of high-end selection in Seattle is beyond me.....love that place.

MOUNTAIN GEAR ROCKS IS A HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

I love the fact that when all that Alien cam failure stuff started, with the CCH folks totally denying that they had an issue and just sitting with their thumbs up their asses picking their noses, Paul Fish of Mountain Gear just grabbed a bunch and paid to have them independently pull tested.

Shitloads failed at shockingly low foot lbs. and CCH was BITCHSLAPPED UPSIDE THE HEAD and FORCED to recall and fix all the dimpled ones.

Paul Fish alone may have saved many lives by his actions. We need to support and encourage folks like this every chance we have.

Thank yew Mountain gear!

Mountain Gear site for internet sales link

• 3 months later...

I live in the Seattle area and have placed a few orders from mgear. I have found their standard shipping speeds to be very fast, often times getting here within a couple days. I even have gotten the package a few hours before I get the shipping notice email!

Very satisfied.

Ordered the Metolius Master Cams yesterday @ noon on their web site and requested ground shipping (est 4-10 days per order form), they showed up the next day.

They rule - they absolutely rule. Especially since it's suppose to be nice weather outside in 2 days.

Ordered the Metolius Master Cams yesterday @ noon on their web site and requested ground shipping (est 4-10 days per order form), they should up the next day.

They rule - they absolutely rule. Especially since it's suppose to be nice weather outside in 2 days.

I'm guessing they are shipping from Spokane so not surprising, but cool nonetheless

• 2 weeks later...

well I just ordered some boots from MG so we can see how it works to Canada..I recently ordered some guide books from Chessler books which took 6 weeks and he blamed it on Canada Post punishing canadian buyers for buying US..so will see

the boots I ordered are not available in Canada including from the canadian distibutor

Ordered the Metolius Master Cams yesterday @ noon on their web site and requested ground shipping (est 4-10 days per order form), they showed up the next day.

They rule - they absolutely rule.

Q4T. Ordered some cosmetic blem Jaks this winter, regular shipping, and they showed up in Seattle the next day. Some dirt bag in a beat up van dropped them off.

Mountaingear does indeed rock. Unbeatable prices and never had an issue with anything they have sold me.

Would love to give a shout out to backcountrygear.com as well.

They custom ordered a couple portaledge flys for me to see what I could get to fit my custom ledge. Even though it is a custom order, no problem returning the fly (or flys) I can't use. No restocking fee. No hassle.

That is customer service.

Mountain Gear does kick ass Ive bought about 2/3 of my climbing gear either in their store or online, also great because I live in spokane and if they don't have something in store they can ship it there the next day for free for instore pick up.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll have to be the wet blanket on this thread...

This happened a lonnnnnnnnng time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...), like early 1990s.

Ordered a couple replacement picks for my BD X-15s from MG.

They showed up, but had the wrong bolt hole pattern. They were for an earlier version of the X-15 (mebbe the solid, red-shafted wonders?). I was very specific when I ordered that I had the newer, rubber-bonded shaft versions. I was assured that the picks I would be getting would fit just fine. Well, they didn't.

I sent the picks back and requested a refund. Never heard from them. After numerous phone calls to no benefit, I finally got them on the phone and they out-and-out refused to refund my money. Said they never received the returned picks! Well, I know their address pretty damned well, so I'm reasonably sure that the fault did not lie with me in addressing the package.

I even showed up in their store on at least two occasions after this, with my receipt in hand, to continue the dispute, to no avail. It wasn't until a few years later I learned I could have taken the dispute up with my credit card company and had them refuse payment. But whatever, I learned my lesson about MG.

I'm glad the rest of you all got satisfaction, but I never did.

As always, YMMV...

• 1 year later...

Mountain Gear has given good service to me. I have returned a few things and received help, replacement, or refund. I have not bought much gear from Mountain Gear the past year or so, because I have sooo much stuff now. One time I was not happy with one guy on the phone, but MG took care of the issue satisfactorily. I have spent quite a bit $$ in the past 10 years at various places, and I can be a real pia if I think I am getting poor service in return for my $$. Conversely, here are some props as I have given others before as well.

Edited by Randonnee

• 2 weeks later...

In years past, it was a mixed bag for me. Rude and unknowledgable sales people and piss poor customer service in the store.

I continued to buy there from time to time because they often had some items that REI or Mountain Goat didn't carry.

In the last several years, their service has greatly improved and the crap sales people have moved on. I don't view them as the store of last resort any more. I am slow to forget though, so I don't go running there first either.

In years past, it was a mixed bag for me. Rude and unknowledgable sales people and piss poor customer service in the store.

I continued to buy there from time to time because they often had some items that REI or Mountain Goat didn't carry.

In the last several years, their service has greatly improved and the crap sales people have moved on. I don't view them as the store of last resort any more. I am slow to forget though, so I don't go running there first either.

Up front disclaimer: I used to work at Mtn Gear (but it was long ago--20 years ago), and know virtually each of their past and present salespeople, at least those at the retail store. I also try to spread my little wealth around, including at Mtn Goat, the local REI, and independently owned shops in the locales I visit.

Like any workplace, any individual store will have stronger and weaker salespeople. Get to know your store, and the individuals that are knowledgeable and provide good service and info for what you're interested in. In fact, you should be able to determine this immediately: don't be afraid to ask for another salesperson if necessary. Be assertive dammit, but tactful as well. While I occasionally encounter rude people in my own line of work (I'll save those stories), I've never had a rude experience at Mtn Gear from one of their sales folks, nor have I met any "crap sales people" there either.

I'm generally one of the first people to respond to rudeness by others: if you ever do perceive a person as rude, don't be afraid to tell them immediately and directly. Or if it's appropriate, go straight to their boss. Mtn Gear Retail Store Manager John Schwartz, other than being a great guy, is one of the fairest, no-nonsense people you'll ever meet. John knows the value of excellent customer service. If one of his salesfolks is indeed rude, he'd be the first person to take appropriate action.

I've never had a rude experience at Mtn Gear from one of their sales folks, nor have I met any "crap sales people" there either.

Maybe it's your magnetic personality or that I'm easily recognized as a push-over.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply that my experience with every one in the store was bad. Just that there were enough things that rubbed me wrong to sway me to shop elsewhere. I was not alone in that perception either.

But the point of my post wasn't to diss the current state of the store but rahter to contrast it with what I feel it used to be.