SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

Crevasse

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardware is cheaper than most PLBs, the $99/year for service is about the same I think. I like that you can transmit a "help, send rescue" message, "help send friends" and "check in" feature instead of just an emergency broadcast.

Never used one though, probably wouldn't bother unless I was doing another real remote trip. Doesn't look like they have much coverage in Kyrgyzstan. I guess that's another thread though.

I have a friend that pointed it out and wanted to get some user feedback for him. He is a 60+ yr old gentleman who does some impressive solo backpack trips mostly cross country. I have been his return contact for a few trips. He always gives me a detailed itinerary but it can change. Seems ideal for this situation and the one with the lost UO professor a few weeks ago.

I also like the tracking feature. I have had more than one trip get extended with no cell coverage. It would give the family nice peace of mind when things ran late and they could track your progress.