stores in PDX?

shortstow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owners of Climbmax are the best! They have shitloads of great gear and are all climbers themselves.

site says:

"Climb Max Mountaineering is an employee owned and operated business in Portland, Oregon. We have been providing Portland with life safety equipment for over 8 years! Come check out our shop at 928 NE 28th Ave (corner of 28th & Sandy). We're here Monday-Saturday 10-8pm PST. Call the retail store at 503.797.1991! Or call our websales department at 503.797.1996 or 1.800.895.0048!"

Oregon Mt community is also nearby, and advertises on this site, and Portland Rock Gym has a selection of gear too.

For hard goods,rock shoes CLimbmax is the spot!! Owners are the best. Will answer any and many a question.

For soft goods. OMC for clothing if you want it they most likely have it other than gloves. Went there this weekend and found them severly lacking. Maybe they are waiting to restock???

Good glove selection was found at The Mountain Shop.

Climb max (geared more towards rock climbing), Oregon Mountain Community (ski and mt. climbing), The Mountain Shop (ski, mt. climb, and snow-board), The US Outdoor Store (Ski and mt. climb), and REI (fly fishing, biking, knitting... oh I guess there's some climbing and skiing stuff too). I don't know if you can get used gear at REI still. They use to have a spot were they sold returned items cheap. The Next Adventure is the place to find used cheap gear.

US Outdoor carries tons of the best brands of rock climbing gear (not just ski and mt. climbing) and will match prices on comparable items.

As far as return policies: REI has the best one because they are a huge company and they can absorb losses better than the "one shop" businesses. We could have the whole debate about supporting the little guy, fuck the Walmarts, vs. free market economy, etc... but I'm tired. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to rock climbing gear, once you walk out the door it's yours. I don't want to buy a rope that sat in the trunk of someones car next to the old battery for a week.

US Outdoor carries tons of the best brands of rock climbing gear (not just ski and mt. climbing) and will match prices on comparable items.

Of course they do. They probably have as much as OMC. I think all these shops carry enough rock gear to outfit anyone, but I think Climb Max makes it a specialty of theirs. You sound like you may work for US Outdoor with that plug :)

The nice thing about all these shops is that it seems like they all carry different brands so if you're looking for something specific, just call around and you'll probably find it.

You can't loose with REI's return policy though. A friend of mine threw his rope down at the local crag and it was the most twisted mess I'd ever seen. We climbed on it a few frustrating times and he returned it for a new rope. Another friend picked up some boots, wore 'em up hood and through the Cascades then returned them for an upgrade no questions asked.

I heard a story about a guy who worked on the set of Vertical Limit, or some shit like that, and said all the cams, biners, etc were dipped in some kind of rubber to reduce the clanging on camera. What a dishearting sight for a climber, a bunch of brand new trad gear that can never be used.

How sad... I find the sound of gear clinging to be a melodic turn on! Whoops, did I say that!! :blush:

Of course they do. They probably have as much as OMC. I think all these shops carry enough rock gear to outfit anyone, but I think Climb Max makes it a specialty of theirs. You sound like you may work for US Outdoor with that plug :)

The nice thing about all these shops is that it seems like they all carry different brands so if you're looking for something specific, just call around and you'll probably find it.

You can't loose with REI's return policy though. A friend of mine threw his rope down at the local crag and it was the most twisted mess I'd ever seen. We climbed on it a few frustrating times and he returned it for a new rope. Another friend picked up some boots, wore 'em up hood and through the Cascades then returned them for an upgrade no questions asked.

I don't (work for US Outdoor that is) I was merely pointing out that they do carry more than ski and mountaineering gear. And I agree, I hope REI never changes their return policy. My wife returned a Marmot Precip that was 4 years old and had started leaking, they gave her a new one that day.

• 1 month later...

You can't loose with REI's return policy though. A friend of mine threw his rope down at the local crag and it was the most twisted mess I'd ever seen. We climbed on it a few frustrating times and he returned it for a new rope.

(Insert high pitch whining noise here which sounds like Mr Cheswicks whine to Nurse Ratchet that he wants his cigarettes back, listen to the U-tube clip to get the feel for this) B5NyyC-UjBM

"Sir... (coming into the REI and addressing some pimply faced teenager): My rope is tangled and it's brand new and I want a new one .....

my rope is tangled and I bought it here and I want a new one....one thats not tangled."

"I SAID: MY BRAND NEW ROPE IS TANGLED AND I WANT A NEW ONE WHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!.......I WANT A NEW ONE ..........!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT A NEW ONE WHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAA !!!!!"

And you got one too! Remarkable.

Want to get into the office pool for the date they stop selling ropes?

Stay tuned for part 2, "Rappelling with an Italian (Munter) hitch", cue "As the World Turns" music and lights out.

Edited by billcoe

• 2 weeks later...

You can't loose with REI's return policy though. A friend of mine threw his rope down at the local crag and it was the most twisted mess I'd ever seen. We climbed on it a few frustrating times and he returned it for a new rope.

(Insert high pitch whining noise here which sounds like Mr Cheswicks whine to Nurse Ratchet that he wants his cigarettes back, listen to the U-tube clip to get the feel for this) B5NyyC-UjBM

"Sir... (coming into the REI and addressing some pimply faced teenager): My rope is tangled and it's brand new and I want a new one .....

my rope is tangled and I bought it here and I want a new one....one thats not tangled."

"I SAID: MY BRAND NEW ROPE IS TANGLED AND I WANT A NEW ONE WHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!.......I WANT A NEW ONE ..........!!!!!!!!!!!

And you got one too! Remarkable.

Want to get into the office pool for the date they stop selling ropes?

Stay tuned for part 2, "Rappelling with an Italian (Munter) hitch", cue "As the World Turns" music and lights out.

So what's your point?

Based on my observations, the sheer quantity of people in REI purchasing armloads of new shit every time I've gone to return something far outweighs me and the dirtbag next to me returning our "faulty equipment." My point is, they are making so much money hand over fist that I doubt they are considering doing anything to their return policy. Besides, they resell most of the stuff that comes in at the garage sale (not climbing gear, I hope).

Learn how to uncoil a new rope before REI gets tired of people abusing their return policy and stops selling ropes.
The point is that REI took it back without question. He said the dude didn't even let him get to describing the problem. He just happily took it back and offered him a better deal. Edited by Mikester

rbw'66 is a pumped up freak?

or is bill the pumped up freak?

what does that mean anyway.

it's a good idea to flake out a new rope a bunch of times before you climb on it; that's been my experience anyway. but maybe you really did get some kind of defective rope.

now if your friend had torn that rope apart with his bare hands...