Leather 4-season mid-range boots

mike1

Hi Climbers,

I've been looking for a good pair of medium weight - leather - four season boots. I outgrew my last pair of La Sportivas after 7 years of hard use. Man, I miss those boots. I was totally thinking I would resole them and get another 5+ years until THE trip. If it hasn't happened to you, be prepared; your feet may flatten a bit after 40 years, adding a size to them. I figured it out after a 40 mile traverse in the Olympics having lost 5 toenails... and a little blood. Anyway, shortly thereafter I picked up a pair of Scarpa Triolets (Awesome 3 season boots, two thumbs up). Now I need another pair for a medium weight, four season boots. I'm willing to wear the extra weight and stick with leather. Long story short (too late for that), I'm currently looking (pretty hard) at the Scarpa Summit GTX, but can't find any testimonials. I think La Sportiva kinda whimped out on their latest mid range leather boots to lighten them up. Obviously the Nepal is an awesome boot, but a bit more than I'm looking for. SO, does anyone have the Scarpa Summits? Do you like them?

Any comments otherwise?

Anyone remember when you just had one pair for everything?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These work for Colorado and New Mexico winters for me, and they are made out of leather. My feet have not been cold to a little below zero with these on. Very comfy, but I do have sportiva feet, long and narrow. I don't do very technical stuff in the winter, mostly snoweshoeing and class 2 and class 3 climbing. These do not have that clunky feel of plastics. They seem to dry very well in a tent overnight and warm up fairly quickly in the AM.

La Sportiva Lhotse

Thanks FatTexan!

My old pair of La Sportivas were the Karakoram GTX's and they resembled this design. The Lhotse are only a few ounces heavier than the Summits and about $20 more. One question about the upper though. I have a friend that bought some Glacier Evo's. He tried them out in the cascades a few years ago he was complaining about the "too soft" upper. The back of the boot specifically was very flimsy and didn't look like it could take much wear and abuse before blowing out. He ended up returning them for some Trangos. It looks like the Lhotse has the same soft upper in the back. I plan on using these boots for years of cold-weather mixed alpine climbing in the Cascades, Olympics and Stuart ranges along with some volcanoes. Do you think that upper can take it? I too have the long and narrows so I've always tended towards LaSportiva. FYI Scarpa isn't too bad a fit either.

Mike

There is a hard plastic counter on the upper heel of the boot and the rubber of the boot extends up the back a good ways sort of a rand. Then leather than the cordura cuff. The heel looks quite a bit more substantial than the Evos. I have the older Glacier summer boots and the back of those are all leather.

There are hardly any seams exposed on the back of the Lhotses so I think they should hold up well. I remember reading somewhere that some of the Special Forces boys were using these in Afghanistan along with the new cold weather gear for the Army.

Wow, that's an interesting boot to be sure. Amazing, but I think I'll let the test of time prove its durability. I believe Kevlar is a brittle fiber by nature (may be why it was never used as mantle?). Something leather has done for many generations. I'm actually more interested in this one: AKU Mach GTX

Now that I've been more serious about getting my next boots, I've begun looking at the Nepal Extreme EVO GTX boots... again. I mean... if I'm going to get 4 season boots and want leather I'll never need another boot. So who has these and for how long?

I agree with lightning. I also have the Raichle boots from REI and they are amazingly comfortable. I use them for all kinds of hikes from Granite Mtn. in the winter to Mt. Rainier. They don't have much insulation so plan on wearing extra socks when it really gets cold but the leather repels water quite well and they also have a gore-tex lining for backup. They are also pretty light compared to most leathers which made the sale for me.

Here is the link: http://www.rei.com/product/735188

Edited by mtndfndr

The Raichle’s from your link look like good boots but they’re more comparable to my 3 season boots (Scarpa Triolet). I definitely want my winter boots to be insulated and able to take step in crampons. Front bail as well as rear. I am interested in those K4S’s though. Do you have them? Otherwise I’m still juggling the LaSportiva Lhotse and the Scarpa Summit GTX... and maybe, just maybe the Nepal.

The Raichle’s from your link look like good boots but they’re more comparable to my 3 season boots (Scarpa Triolet). I definitely want my winter boots to be insulated and able to take step in crampons. Front bail as well as rear. I am interested in those K4S’s though. Do you have them? Otherwise I’m still juggling the LaSportiva Lhotse and the Scarpa Summit GTX... and maybe, just maybe the Nepal.

I have previously used the Lhotse and for me personally they are not warm enough to use as a winter boot. However, I tend to have cold toes so if you run warm they may suit your needs. I would opt for the K4S, they would be similar to the Vasque Super Alpinistas that I currently use for a winter boot. Not sure what size you need but they are currently on sale here.

Wow, that's an interesting boot to be sure. Amazing, but I think I'll let the test of time prove its durability. I believe Kevlar is a brittle fiber by nature (may be why it was never used as mantle?). Something leather has done for many generations. I'm actually more interested in this one: AKU Mach GTX

Now that I've been more serious about getting my next boots, I've begun looking at the Nepal Extreme EVO GTX boots... again. I mean... if I'm going to get 4 season boots and want leather I'll never need another boot. So who has these and for how long?

AKU Baltoro may be another option if your feet tend to run on the very warm end of the spectrum, and they are on sale if they meet your needs.