Learn to Ice climb...?

amber10_79

Ok, I'm farmiliar with rock climbing; been doing that for a few years. What I'd really like to do now is to learn to ICE CLIMB!! I don't know where to go, who to talk to, what equiptment I'll need...someone help me!!!! It looks like a sport I could really get into, if I could just figure out HOW!!! ANY advice would be appreciated :chebit: -Amber

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have not done an extensive amount of ice climbing, when I first made the transition from rock climbing I also felt like I had to learn a whole new sport. However, once I strapped on some crampons and grab some axes, it was very similar to rock climbing... Only you have a hold just about anyplace. Only advice I have is DONT FALL! Hope that helps. I'm sure this is a great place to find someone to get you started. Just find someone who has a lot of experience and go from there.

I'd say if you're just beginning and you don't know anyone who can take you out, don't let that stop you. Try Chicks with Picks in Colorado, or Yamnuska in Alberta. Also, buy a few books and read up. I liked Will Gadd's book - can't remember the name of it right now, though.

I hope you like to suffer! ice climbing is kinda a masacistic desire. You're cold all the time, get the screamin barfies, get hurt if you fall (just found that out yesterday), get hit by falling ice, and did I mention you get cold. Just be careful when you're learning, it is totally different from rock.

The problem is the lack of local ice. Sure, you can find some stuff here and there, but it usually requires dropping everything and running for it when it's in.

The place where most beginners get started is on the lower Coleman Glacier on Mt. Baker. Glacial ice is a lot more forgiving than thinly formed water ice. There ae a few places on rainier to access seracs and set topropes. I've never climbed there.

There are still places to get WI in WA. Leavenworth, Snoqualmie Pass, Banks Lake, and some areas in the Columbia River area come to mind.

Thats a lot of "where" and no "who". I'm pretty sure that Jason Martin is a guide. There are also plenty of people around here who wnat to climb. Keep an eye on the Partners forum, maybe even drop a post there.

I just ran into Jason Martin at Red Rock a few weeks ago. He mentioned that he is a guide for American Alpine Institute, I believe, and posts here under his own name(check the "user list" under the Quicklinks tab). I remember him mentioning doing guiding for ice climbing around here, too.

Seemed friendly and knowledgable.