• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
lizard_brain

Plastic Boots - Suggestions? Faves?

My old Koflack Degres are SHOT. I had them for years, and liked them a lot. They fit perfectly, and were comfortable on approaches. I went looking for a new pair, but it looks like they are not making them anymore. Can't find them anywhere.

Anything else comperable in a hard-shell boot? My feet get cold easily (Reynaud's), so I use them a lot for both glacer and snowshoeing. Better wide than narrow.

Anybody...?

I've got Lowa Civettas and I'm not particularly fond of them. The design puts a lot of wear on the inner boot.

Unfortunately, they are the only plastic boot that comes in size fricken huge.

You can get the Koflach Vertical, which has the shell of the Arctis Expe, but with thinner liners, for relatively cheap here, and I think they've got most sizes. Should fit comparable to your Degre:

Edit: Not many sizes left.

Edited by jared_j

The local shop has a notice from Atomic stating that they are shutting down Koflach Mountaineering boots - no more.

Lowa are in my experience very narrow.

I have a pair of the Asolo Evolution that I passed liners back and forth with a pair of Arctis Expe, and they are only slightly narrower.

If you want to go non-hard shell, I have talked to lots of people with wide feet who like the Vasque 9000. Same for the Millet 8km boots.

Good luck.

LB - I can't see where you mentioned your size, but I have some Vericals, size 11 that are in great shape. Just a little large for me. Here they are:

Link

I was just at PMS and they have replacement liners - I think I'll give the shells a look over and decide if that's the way to go. There's a bit of de-lam around the edges, but I think some super glue will take care of that.

2 more seasons...

If you mean the rubber rand when you say de-lam, I'd recommend "barge cement" - I don't know if super glue would work - esp. in the temp. range these might have to endure.

I think it's a brand - comes in a yellow and red tube says "Barge Cement". Actually, I think the guy at the shop I go to most would probably do it for me for free - they have a tube laying around all the time.

Many climbing shops, shoe repair places and some hardware stores carry it.

You could always ask at wherever they know you by name.

barge-1.jpg