Sock combination

ASmith

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using that same system... a heavy sock, a liner sock and superfeet for all my alpine trips. I've never gotten blisters or had any issues. For very cold temps and altitude I've been going with a vapor barrier as well. I used turkey cooking bags this year in Peru and it kept my heavy sock and boot liner dry. Also they've been very durable so far... I used one pair of turkey bags for several multiday climbs.

I have found the same. I have been using the poly pro liner under a single pair SW Mountaineering socks but I am thinking about trying a thin Swartwool merlino wool liner instead or possibly a different liner and was hoping to get some feeback if anyone has used the Swartwool liners or just what liners they are using?

I have also used the super feet but have just ordered the SOLE Veister's model after looking at it on the SOLE website so I would also be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with these also.

Edited by ASmith

• 3 weeks later...
I have found the same. I have been using the polo pro liner over a single pair SW Mountaineering socks but I am thinking about trying a thin Swartwool merlino wool liner instead

I have been wearing a liner sock and Smart wool Mountaineering with superfeet "Green ones"and get blisters on both heals so I mole skin them prior to climbing.Question :is the liner sock to go over my thick wool like you say or was that a typo.My feet are always warm and dry but would like to do away with the blisters.

One note though.When I get home with juicy blisters and soak in epson salt foot bath by the next day they have reabsorbed into my foot and you pretty much cannot tell I had a blister.

The Viesturs insole is thick, make sure you have room, it doesn't compress much when you heat-mold it.

I've got the SOLE Slim Sport in my boots - much better IMHO.

I normally wear just the SW Mountaineering w/o a liner, but I got blisters late in the season this year, so I'm going to experiment with the SW Trekking sock (thinner) with a liner this upcoming season.

I use a Smartwool mountaineering sock with a thin liner. For those of you that are prone to blisters, try Spyroflex on your heel before hiking to prevent the blisters. I know where my heel gets sore, and I stick one on if I am going for a really long approach and it works great. REI carries them as well as a lot of other retailers: http://www.rei.com/product/615485

Sorry, it was a typo and I msade the correction. Liner under SW Mountaineering sock. The double liner socks as noted above work great for those who are prone to blisters and you can get "blister tape" from Althetic Supply in Seattle, which is a really think plastic type of tape that is smooth, that you apply right on the skin either before or after blisters so the sock slides over it plus it protects the area. Great stuff. A VPL sock is great up high and really cold to keep the moisture out of the thick sock, dry the liner every night in your bag and/or jacket pocket and powder up a few times a day.

Edited by ASmith

Maybe I am wierd but I have found that for me, a sock without a liner works better than with a liner. I have felt that the modern socks like smartwool and thorlo were soft enough on the inside to not need a liner sock. The liner sock idea came about when everyone had on wool socks which was practically a steel wool shaped thing. Newer socks also wick moisture so well that a poly blend liner sock is not needed to keep the skin dry.

My cheap liner socks just sag down and bunch up causing blisters.

just my 2 cents. maybe I am lucky with tough feet.

Maybe I am wierd but I have found that for me, a sock without a liner works better than with a liner...

The liner sock idea came about when everyone had on wool socks which was practically a steel wool shaped thing...

agreed, more or less. especially the comment about liner socks sagging/bagging and causing trouble.

on the other hand, I like to wear boots fairly big for warmth, so a single sock doesn't fit snugly enough.

SOOOO: my system for the past 3 or 4 years has been double pairs of Wigwam Merino Light Hikers. cheap, soft, durable, wearable for several days without 'foot-rot', and nearly devoid of synthetics - fishstick laid it out clear: "never wear a sock with 'max' in the name!"

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

Maybe I am wierd but I have found that for me, a sock without a liner works better than with a liner...

The liner sock idea came about when everyone had on wool socks which was practically a steel wool shaped thing...

agreed, more or less. especially the comment about liner socks sagging/bagging and causing trouble.

on the other hand, I like to wear boots fairly big for warmth, so a single sock doesn't fit snugly enough.

SOOOO: my system for the past 3 or 4 years has been double pairs of Wigwam Merino Light Hikers. cheap, soft, durable, wearable for several days without 'foot-rot', and nearly devoid of synthetics - fishstick laid it out clear: "never wear a sock with 'max' in the name!"

cheers,

I like to use the very light wt produce bags for a vapor barrier but they do wear out quickly. For longer/colder climbs I like to bring a few extra since they are so light...