Ron Paul

Blake

Anyone else paying attention to this candidate?

33764882.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-1113ronpaulnov13,1,4407214.story

Zogby polls predict him to get about 15-18% of the New Hampshire vote and he'll remain in the top-3 GOP candidates for fundraising.

I think his support is due partly to his consistent beliefs, and partly due to how he presents them... no BS or political game playing, even if he knows his ideas are not popular or good in focus-groups.

I wish that the candor with which he expresses his philosophy and ideas would be taken up by any of the other candidates. Listening to him sounds like a real person, not a robot.

I'm really curious to know what others might think of him, particularly the manner/style in which he operates and speaks.

I know this is spray, but I was hoping for a few semi-serious responses at least.

It's also interesting that the most anti-Iraq-War candidate out there has received the most donations from military members. Might make one reconsider the concept of "supporting our troops."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....these dipshits keep holding his sign across the Lake Sammamish I-90 pedestrian bridge slowing down traffic all the way back to Factoria....I don't know who I'm madder at, Ron Paul, or Seattle drivers that can't read at over 40 mph.

Ummm....wouldn't that be Eastside drivers?

Fair enough....I use the term "Seattle Drivers" pretty loosely for the entire metropolitan area

Yes....these dipshits keep holding his sign across the Lake Sammamish I-90 pedestrian bridge slowing down traffic all the way back to Factoria....I don't know who I'm madder at, Ron Paul, or Seattle drivers that can't read at over 40 mph.

Ericb chooses to commute Seattle<--->Issaquah during rush hour.

Random Issaquah/Bellevue drivers slow down to view political signs being waved during Rush hour.

ie... Ron Paul and his supporters are dipshits. :shock:

Ummm....wouldn't that be Eastside drivers?

Fair enough....I use the term "Seattle Drivers" pretty loosely for the entire metropolitan area

more semantic games for mailboxkong...

i'm sure a fair number of those drivers are headed into Seattle, where they will be "Seattle Drivers".

and "true Seattlites" don't drive, they bus, bike or walk, so Seattle driver must be an oxymoron, unlike TTK who's just a moron.

I don't see him as being of much appeal to socially liberal voters.

I've always thought liberals would be foursquare for the 2nd Amendment. With these facist Bushites ignoring habeas corpus and wiretapping without warrants, I'd think they'd see the writing on the wall. The police forces in America have been an occupying army for a generation, too, and are becoming less and less subtle about their contempt for the citizens. Both freedom and tyranny come at gunpoint.

I don't see him as being of much appeal to socially liberal voters.

I've always thought liberals would be foursquare for the 2nd Amendment. With these facist Bushites ignoring habeas corpus and wiretapping without warrants, I'd think they'd see the writing on the wall. The police forces in America have been an occupying army for a generation, too, and are becoming less and less subtle about their contempt for the citizens. Both freedom and tyranny come at gunpoint.

if the citizens had guns, it's be harder for the liberals to round up the conservatives, execute them, and dump them into pits in the forest.

That's funny. That picture of Ron Paul in an empty room would be exactly what his Libertarian views would have the government look like. A single dude behind a desk with a poster behind him saying "Federal Government". Vote for Ron Paul if you don't like Social Programs such as schools. His naive view of human nature is pretty, well....naive.

I like Ron Paul. I would have a tough decision if it was Ron Paul versus Dennis Kucinich. Neither are perfect, but close to what I believe.

I like Ron's libertarian stance becuase people do not understand that health care and social security are a privelege and not a right in the U.S. It goes back to the basic philosophy of people WANTING rather than GIVING.

You don't like it? Then change the US Constitution.

Education and Health Care? Is the state's responsibility IMO.

It's kind of funny, actually, since a lot of progressives also seem to end up having libertarian tendencies (except it seems when it comes to personal ownership of firearms or letting their kids think for themselves) and a lot of conservatives also tend to be rather libertarian but still believe in social programs and taxes for basic infrastructure needs rather than user fees. If the libertarian party actually got it's head out of it's ass and figured this out, ditched some of the scarier parts of their platform, they'd probably be taken seriously enough to break the stranglehold that the other two have on American politics. Well, that won't happen. I give him a lot of respect, though, for speaking his mind about what he thinks instead of qualifying every statement so that he's basically saying nothing and supporting/offending nobody.

That's funny. That picture of Ron Paul in an empty room would be exactly what his Libertarian views would have the government look like. A single dude behind a desk with a poster behind him saying "Federal Government". Vote for Ron Paul if you don't like Social Programs such as schools. His naive view of human nature is pretty, well....naive.

What makes you say he doesn't like school? He's a doctor who went to school in the US for ~20 years and often speaks of their value. He's just said that public education should be managed by states and school districts, not at a federal level.

Meanwhile...

In Paul They Trust (The Feds May Differ)

By Alec MacGillis

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, November 17, 2007; Page A01

"The ardent supporters of Rep. Ron Paul, the iconoclastic Texas libertarian whose campaign for the presidency is threatening to upend the battle for the Republican nomination, got word yesterday of a new source of outrage and motivation: reports of a federal raid on a company that was selling thousands of coins marked with the craggy visage of their hero.

"Federal agents on Thursday raided the Evansville, Ind., headquarters of the National Organization for the Repeal of the Federal Reserve Act and Internal Revenue Code (Norfed), an organization of "sound money" advocates that for the past decade has been selling a private currency it calls "Liberty Dollars." The company says it has put into circulation more than $20 million in Liberty Dollars, coins and paper certificates it contends are backed by silver and gold stored in Idaho, are far more reliable than a U.S. dollar and are accepted for use by a nationwide underground economy...."

I don't think the uber-progressives latch onto a guy like Ron Paul because they're closet libertarians. Rather, they follow candidates who are as fanatical on a single issue as they are; in Paul's case, his staunch opposition to the war. They also like iconoclastic outsiders, because they feel that they and their candidate must remain 'outside the system' to be legit. Because these progressives are not want to form coalitions because it involves some compromise, they are forever doomed to vote for losers (electorially speaking).