• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
sh47

road trip vehicle question

we have a large dodge van- with a built in loft that is basically a piece of plywood on stands- right now we sleep on it with our camping pads, but i am realizing it would be much more comfortable to have either foam or a mattress on top. anyone have experience either custom building or buying some sort of truck bed mattress or something like that? i don't have the dimensions with me- but it's the entire width of a ram van.

the cheaper the better!

thx

If you can find an inexpensive memory foam mattress topper and put it over your camping pads it works great. We have a Dodge Sprinter van, and that is the set up we use for our bed. Good luck and long live the dirt-bag, van living climbers!

i bought a double foamton mattress for $100 about twelve years ago. it was very comfortable and easy to maintain. i guess a futon would work to but this mattress was much lighter and easier to bend in half.

IKEA has some good cheap mattresses. When I was looking, it ended up better value than buying from a custom foam shop. Zip-off washable cover, variety of stiffnesses and thicknesses etc. Just buying straight raw foam was surprisingly expensive.

Back in the day...

I lived in a Ford E350. The bed was a double mattress given to us by a relative upgrading to a fancier mattress. Worked fine for a few years and felt a lot like "home" more so than foam pads. When it wore out we got one of those inflatable mattresses. Oddly enough it never punctured in spite of our desert-rat lifestyle. But it got cold at night - had to put a quilt under our sheet.

I lived in my 1960 Ford Falcon van for several years of climbing and woods work. I put cheap closed cell foan on plywood and 2" open cell foam on top of that. After a few years, I put an air mattress lightly inflated under the open cell foam. It worked great. I may have invested $20 total.

I have a queen sive air mattress you can have but I am in Redmond WA.

Sure but you will just re-infest it. ;)

I didn't get any mold btw. Try closing your windows.

I also used a propane radiant heater. It kept me dry and warm.

You DO have to open your window a little for that.

is that why our brain doesn't work. what's wrong with lice, that's my family your talking about.

Hey Mountainstyle,

I have been checking out Dodge sprintewrs for just that purpose. Do you have an pics of how you have it rigged up inside? Anything fancy or just a mattress? Thanks in advance

is that why our brain doesn't work. what's wrong with lice, that's my family your talking about.

I once spent endless hours pulling head lice eggsacs off the long beautiful hairs of my girlfriend while we were ending our 6 month trip in Mexico.

If she would have been just a little less cute, she would still have them.

I did nnot have any problems with bug infestations nor mold in my van but then, I took a couple trips a year to the desert. They had to be ready for sub-zero (Montana), damp and wet (Seattle), and hot and dry (Moab).

we have a large dodge van- with a built in loft that is basically a piece of plywood on stands- right now we sleep on it with our camping pads, but i am realizing it would be much more comfortable to have either foam or a mattress on top. anyone have experience either custom building or buying some sort of truck bed mattress or something like that? i don't have the dimensions with me- but it's the entire width of a ram van.

the cheaper the better!

thx

just pm tvashtarkenton, i'm sure he'd know.