How often do you lose your toenails  

159 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you lose your toenails

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First year of hiking in mountains I lost my big toe nail because I ignored the pain and thought it normal for my foot to jam into the front of the boot- its not and should be corrected.

First year of climbing I lost my big toe nail learning to jam cracks because I ignored the pain and thought it normal to keep wearing tight fitting climbing shoes for hours on end - its not...

Clip em short as you're able and size your footwear properly.

I am heartened that the "rare" and "NEVER"s are leading the poll. I think what is happening to my right foot big toe is revolting.

My lesson taken to heart is: "Overweight baggage be damned! Bring the big sturdy boots for long alpine ice routes, not the fruity lightweight ice craggers"

Despite many thin crack toe crushing pitches I have never had such a violation to my delicate and beautiful lower extrema. I look forward to the day that this nascent grey bloom forms into a proper and righteous toenail and the nightmare is behind.

You might need to be patient. When I was 13 I had an ice skate fall from a storage bin in the rafters and land blade first on my big toe. I never fully lost the nail, but it was partially detached and funky for a long time, and would accumulate nasty smelly bits that could be scraped out. However, it did fully recover by the time I was 39.

...one of my big toe nails is three times the thickness of a normal toe nail. It bugs me and I wish it would go away. It's a major pain to trim it; I feel like I need to buy a special cutter to deal with it.

I paid somewhere around a Grand a few years ago to have four toenails removed permanently. They were all fucked-up (thick, semi-attached, discolored, etc.) making it hard to trim/maintain them, and giving me trouble inside climbing shoes. Due to the scrambling and damage to nerves from frostbite, it was an extremely painful procedure; a nurse and my ex had to hold my leg and foot down while the physician injected the anesthetic after I bent one needle from the first attempt. Even then, the anesthetic was partially affective only. Three months later, the bastards grew back anyway.

A tip for ease and efficacy in nail-trimming: do it immediately after showering or bathing. The nails are softer and more pliable.

I ripped my big toenail clean off the toe when I lived in hawaii. I was walking on volcanic rocks to access a surfbreak and gently brushed it over the surface of the rock when I jumped off into the water. So painless it was that I didn't notice it till I was surrounded by a pool of my own blood floating in the water around me. It grew back but it has been "different" ever since...maybe even tougher.

Toe002resize.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words (or at least the number I used in my previous post to describe my yearly process). Note the completely dead nail but not before previous injury has thickened it, probably with the help of some fungus. The extra thickness exacerbates the pressure, accelerating the process until removal is of the utmost importance. And by leaving a live stub we save even worse pain and the price of a medical procedure.