Caffeine

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drink a LOT of coffee, but I always stop around 9:30am. On the occasions that I do drink it after that, especially in the afternoon, I feel a jolt fairly quickly. I don't notice much difference when running, but I do use it a lot outdoors in the form of Gu as anti-bonk.

I assume you've looked this up in other places - if you haven't, take a look at it on Wikipedia, and look at the external links.

Some of the marathon training books I've read say that caffeine is listed as a perfomance enhancing drug, and is banned by the International Olympic Committee:

"Because caffeine enhances performance in many individuals, it has been banned by the International Olympic Committee. But ironically, the level at which caffeine is banned far exceeds the amount needed to enhance performance. Higher, illegal levels are generally attained with caffeine supplements, since a 150-pound athlete would need to drink 3 to 4 large cups of coffee within an hour before activity to reach the upper acceptable limit. Just 1.5 to 3 milligrams of caffeine per pound of body weight (225 to 450 milligrams for a 150-pound man) is enough for an energy-enhancing effect. That's as little as one 10-ounce cup of coffee!

(THE PHYSICIAN AND SPORTSMEDICINE)

I'm glad you figured out how to make your tummy happy, Muffs.

About the Olympic ban on caffeine, it was my understanding that only the super high levels were made illegal (as your post hints to)?

I was asking about it because there is a lot of research on this chemical, but it seems to affect each person a little differently. The reasons for this could be a super interesting bit of research...... Anyway, I drink ONE 3 shot espresso in the mornings, and sometimes have a green tea in the afternoon. I did quit the drug for three months last winter when I was all burned out, but I found that when I started drinking my 1 morning cup, I definitely had more energy throughout the day. ALSO, I notice that I'm LEANER when I drink coffee (this probably has to do with extra catacholamines floating around, which do a big part in fat metabolism). Also (even though I've read this in studies) I've found my ability to do sustained hard exercise ABSOLUTELY goes up; my total strength doesn't increase, but if I'm well rested caffeine seems to help me have higher quality workouts.

Yeah, this drug pretty much kicks ass.

I have my own Mr. Coffee ® coffee maker on my desk at work, and I get a few pounds of coffee direct from Columbia a couple of times a year from my Cousin when he's there on business, and I tank down about 4 cups of strong brew each morning as soon as I get to work. Then that's it for the day. Usually done by 9:30, rule of thumb - no caffeine after noon.

I'm considering cutting it back to 2 cups. I'm even thinking of dropping it back to 1 or even none (prolly 1) 1-2 months before the next marathon.

I was asking about it because there is a lot of research on this chemical, but it seems to affect each person a little differently.

It sure does... I'll add that even though I drink a lot of it in the morning, I don't notice the difference during and after that daily load, but on the occasion when I do have a cup of coffee or a coke in the afternoon - WHOA! I'm lit! Same thing happens when I have the coffee late.

I'm glad you figured out how to make your tummy happy, Muffs.

About the Olympic ban on caffeine, it was my understanding that only the super high levels were made illegal (as your post hints to)?

I was asking about it because there is a lot of research on this chemical, but it seems to affect each person a little differently. The reasons for this could be a super interesting bit of research...... Anyway, I drink ONE 3 shot espresso in the mornings, and sometimes have a green tea in the afternoon. I did quit the drug for three months last winter when I was all burned out, but I found that when I started drinking my 1 morning cup, I definitely had more energy throughout the day. ALSO, I notice that I'm LEANER when I drink coffee (this probably has to do with extra catacholamines floating around, which do a big part in fat metabolism). Also (even though I've read this in studies) I've found my ability to do sustained hard exercise ABSOLUTELY goes up; my total strength doesn't increase, but if I'm well rested caffeine seems to help me have higher quality workouts.

Yeah, this drug pretty much kicks ass.

damn maybe i will start drinking coffee again..... :o sounds like what happened to me when i did coke and not the cola kind...

I was asking about it because there is a lot of research on this chemical, but it seems to affect each person a little differently.

It sure does... I'll add that even though I drink a lot of it in the morning, I don't notice the difference during and after that daily load, but on the occasion when I do have a cup of coffee or a coke in the afternoon - WHOA! I'm lit! Same thing happens when I have the coffee late.

There's pretty good science coming out about that kind of thing. When the body gets habituated (addicted) it will start working ahead of time to counteract the effects of the drug. There's some rat experiments where they get a rat habituated to a drug (NO in the experiments I'm thinking of) accompanied by a stimulus such as a flashing light or buzzer. Then when they do the stimulus without the drug there is a measureable opposite effect of what the drug would do. In the case of NO they were looking at body temperature.

I've read in less scientific sources that heroin addicts are known to have overdosed using their regular dose but in different circumstances so their body gets surprised and hasn't had time to start the mitigating effects.

Anyway, this is all meant to explain why LB feels so much more affected by the caffeine if he drinks it at any time other than the first morning jolt. I also experience this phenomenon.

The only scary thing is realizing that once you're habituated (one mug full o' espresso each morn) you probably have an extra "downer" effect each morning, and you need the dose just to get you to normal. No wonder some people feel like they have so much more energy after they kick the stuff!

I regularly drink anywhere from 1 cup to 6 plus a day. The caffiene in coffee doesn't do much to pick me up, nor do I notice an enhancement when I am exercising. If I don't keep up with water consumption, I will notice a decrease in performance due to dehydration. On the other hand, if I am absolutely dragging I will choke down a red bull (this is a rare occasion), which seems to give me about 1.5 hours worth of mental and physical enegry... followed by a nasty crash. Sometimes you gotta do it. I can only imagine I feel a difference due to the massive amounts of sugar in the Red Bull, as I tend to stay away from huge sugar highs.

As for all you coffee junkies out there, regular drip coffee has more caffiene per cup than your double shot espresso drink. The legal overdose on coffee is around 13 cups o' joe if I remember correctly. All useful things I learned as a barista, slinging coffee to make my way through college.

Caffiene doesn't do much to me. I've drank a lot of it, but it only gives me very little boost -- for instance, I can drink right before bed. It doesn't have any effect on my exercise, except that I notice too much tea or coffee keeps me from drinking enough water.

I need to be careful not to use way too much coffee. The problem is that I like the stuff so much, its easy for me just to grab "one more cup" in the middle of the day - then I'll crash after the caffeine wears off. Basically, I get great positive side effects if I keep my doses in control and get enough sleep, but if I take in too much over the day or I take if after not sleeping well, I just end up feeling strung out and icky.

Oh, Muffs, please don't do Coke ever again. Please :wave:

Nerve healing? I've never heard anything about that, but it sounds super interesting! I'll look into it!

I have heard that regular caffeine use is thought to reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. Its also supposed to have mild anti-inflammatory effects. So perhaps there is a correlation with axon/dendrite morphology.