Ten Days That Shook Olympia

prole

That's quite an idea you've got there. I'm going to call it...."saving for retirement."

Good name for it. I thought you'd like the personal-responsibility aspect of it. Are you turning nanny-state on me?

If you were to call the police to remove the socially conscious neighbor blocking your driveway, and or the Fire Department to cut the chain tethering his infant to your bumper, I certainly wouldn't think any less of you.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there are a few hundred kids who walked out of school and are outside the capitol. There is another anti war thing tomorrow. Meanwhile the comments people are posting on related news reports on the Olympian website are calling for blood of those who don't support the war. It's scary how much everyone hates each other in this country.

No worries. Evergreen's answer to Mr. Garrison is on point and has this one covered, mmmkay..

" From: Johnson, Leslie

Sent: Wed 11/14/07 13:03

To: All Staff & Faculty DL

Subject: FW: Port demonstration Debrief with Counseling Center staff

—–Original Message—–

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:15 PM

To: Gaetz, Gloria

Subject: Port demonstration Debrief with Counseling Center staff

The Counseling Center will be holding a debriefing specifically for TESC students who have been involved The Olympia Port war protest.

The purpose of the debriefing is to provide emotional support and help students process traumatic experiences. This will be a therapeutic setting and as such no media will be present or allowed. If you are aware of a student who was involved in the protest and is having difficulty coping with or processing this experience please encourage them to attend this therapeutic debriefing.

When: Thursday Nov. 15

Time: 6- 8 p.m.

Where: CAB room 108

Leslie Johnson, MSW

Mental Health Therapist

TESC Counseling Center

Ext. 6802"

Now if this isn't coddling

Ohhh, that's right, you supported the war from the beginning. Is that you with the God Loves Israeli Bulldozers sign? Too bad there won't be any grief centers for you and the thugs you run with to process your guilt for being on the wrong side of history again. But then again being a bastard means never having to say you're sorry.

Edited by prole

I'm not sure how this thing has been depicted by the TV news, but because I am a photojournalism student...

Not a very good one either. Despite your own wavering declarations, you ventured down to this event with an agenda. I don't subscribe to the idea that opinion-reporting is inherently wrong, but I do believe in disclosure. Don't try to pretend you're just a neutral observer who, once on site, had some kind of epiphany.

I'm not sure how this thing has been depicted by the TV news, but because I am a photojournalism student...

Not a very good one either. Despite your own wavering declarations, you ventured down to this event with an agenda. I don't subscribe to the idea that opinion-reporting is inherently wrong, but I do believe in disclosure. Don't try to pretend you're just a neutral observer who, once on site, had some kind of epiphany.

Where's the part where he/she is pretending?

Hey, thanks again for some eyewitness reporting, Dannible. There are a few pricks around here who aren't comfortable with confronting anything first hand, but then again, they're not comfortable with much of anything. Our attitude around here is pretty much "fuck 'em". Cheers to your for taking a personal risk, buddy. Or buddette. Or whatever.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

What was the agenda, and where do you have proof or suspicion of it?

Yeah, apart from photoshopping out all babies strapped to the protesters chests, the inconvenienced commuters, the old lady in the ambulance that couldn't get to the hospital, and digitally removing the majority of bandannas, I'd say these were pretty good.

I wasn't reporting anything. I was just telling you guys what I saw. Would you have rather had this thead be only speculation from people who who were not there? In fact I told my journalism teacher about all of it and she told me to write an article about it, but I said that I didn't know how because I would be too biased.

Hey Prole, who are you to go up against Shitfeather's huge body of photojournalistic work? Or his gold standard: FOX News? Why, just one of his riveting TRs alone could crush this poor kid's career hopes forever.

It's OK, Dannible. You didn't measure up to Shitfeather's standards, but with enough therapy, you might eventually recover. And don't bother defending yourself; you're basically confronting a skidmark. Just grab a clean pair of undies and carry on.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I think the same standards you apply to him would have you supporting your charges against him with some type of evidence.

a) My thought experiment concerned the absence of LAND OWNERSHIP, not private property. In this hypothetical world, you could own any other kind of property.

There is plenty of precedence for this. Water, mineral and airspace ownership are more often than not separate from land ownership. If airspace, and in some locales water rights, both necessary resources, cannot be privately owned (and our legal system seems to handle this in stride) why is land somehow fundamntally different? I argue that our current legal system is perfectly able to handle the instance where it isn't any different.

b) I didn't state that the legal system wouldn't change, just that it need not change much.

Those are my statements. I'm ready to be proven wrong.

Go.

Just to clarify your terminology, by "land ownership" do you mean ownership of real (as opposed to personal) property? I apologize if I confused the discussion by using the phrase "private property" which is often used in constitutional jurisprudence, and in the constitution itself (see, e.g. the Fifth Amendment), to denote all property (whether real or personal) that is owned by individuals (as the Constitution recognizes that term) rather than the government.

While I'm thinking about it, what precisely do you mean by "land ownership"? Do you mean all interests in real property or just some of those rights? Property rights are often referred to as a bundle of sticks, with the right to occupy property being one "stick", the right to use property being another, the right to transfer bing another, etc. Thus, someone who owns the entire bundle can contract away some of the rights (the right of possession to a tenant, for example). In your hypothetical, would all rights in real property be exstinguished, or just some. It make a difference, as you can imagine.

Two guys who selflessly gave of themselves so that 500 could protest in Olympia. There are men, and then there are men among men, and I humble myself in their memory:

Iraq Medal of Honor Recipients

*DUNHAM, JASON L.

Rank and Organization: Corporal, United States Marine Corps

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Rifle Squad Leader, 4th Platoon, Company K, Third Battalion, Seventh Marines (Reinforced), Regimental Combat Team 7, First Marine Division (Reinforced), on 14 April 2004. Corporal Dunham's squad was conducting a reconnaissance mission in the town of Karabilah, Iraq, when they heard rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire erupt approximately two kilometers to the west. Corporal Dunham led his Combined Anti-Armor Team towards the engagement to provide fire support to their Battalion Commander's convoy, which had been ambushed as it was traveling to Camp Husaybah. As Corporal Dunham and his Marines advanced, they quickly began to receive enemy fire. Corporal Dunham ordered his squad to dismount their vehicles and led one of his fire teams on foot several blocks south of the ambushed convoy. Discovering seven Iraqi vehicles in a column attempting to depart, Corporal Dunham and his team stopped the vehicles to search them for weapons. As they approached the vehicles, an insurgent leaped out and attacked Corporal Dunham. Corporal Dunham wrestled the insurgent to the ground and in the ensuing struggle saw the insurgent release a grenade. Corporal Dunham immediately alerted his fellow Marines to the threat. Aware of the imminent danger and without hesitation, Corporal Dunham covered the grenade with his helmet and body, bearing the brunt of the explosion and shielding his Marines from the blast. In an ultimate and selfless act of bravery in which he was mortally wounded, he saved the lives of at least two fellow Marines. By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

*SMITH, PAUL R.

Rank and Organization: Sergeant First Class, United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.

From today's PI:

Conspiracy, bribery and money laundering, the federal charges levied Friday against an Army captain from Tacoma, sound more like a mob crackdown than a complaint against an Iraq war veteran.

Cedar Lanmon, an officer who has completed two tours of duty in Iraq and who faces multiple charges in U.S. District Court in Tacoma, is accused of accepting tens of thousands of dollars in bribes from contractors in Iraq to steer Army contracts to them.

The contracts included heavy construction at military installations in Iraq.

Lanmon, 30, also is charged with illegally bringing a piece of ancient pottery back to the United States from Iraq.

The artifact appears to be from an archaeological dig in the city of Ur at a site believed to be the home of the biblical figure Abraham.

Lanmon was based at Fort Lewis from December 2002 to August 2007, base spokesman Joe Hitt said.

He is now part of a student detachment at Fort Jackson, S.C.

Hitt said the military is unlikely to take action against Lanmon until the federal case is resolved.

Lanmon made his initial appearance Friday in front of U.S. Magistrate Judge J. Kelley Arnold and was released pending a preliminary hearing next month.

According to the criminal complaint, Lanmon accepted bribes from two Iraqi citizens and an Albanian contractor in exchange for awarding them government contracts. He allegedly took $25,000 from the Albanian contractor in exchange for a $250,000 contract to build berms at a military base in Ballad, Iraq, and accepted $5,000 from an Iraqi man in exchange for getting him on the base and introducing him to a contracting officer.

Lanmon also is accused of accepted $1,000 from an Iraqi in exchange for the contract to build a tin roof on a military facility.

According to court documents, the case came to the Army's attention in September when Lanmon's estranged wife came forward with accusations that he had accepted about $40,000 in bribes during his two Iraq deployments.

The documents indicate that Lanmon told his estranged wife that he'd married another woman while in Iraq and "wanted them all to engage in a polygamous marriage."

He later recanted and said he had not actually married the woman but that she was pregnant by him.

Two guys who selflessly gave of themselves so that 500 could protest in Olympia. There are men, and then there are men among men, and I humble myself in their memory:

Iraq Medal of Honor Recipients

*DUNHAM, JASON L.

Rank and Organization: Corporal, United States Marine Corps

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Rifle Squad Leader, 4th Platoon, Company K, Third Battalion, Seventh Marines (Reinforced), Regimental Combat Team 7, First Marine Division (Reinforced), on 14 April 2004. Corporal Dunham's squad was conducting a reconnaissance mission in the town of Karabilah, Iraq, when they heard rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire erupt approximately two kilometers to the west. Corporal Dunham led his Combined Anti-Armor Team towards the engagement to provide fire support to their Battalion Commander's convoy, which had been ambushed as it was traveling to Camp Husaybah. As Corporal Dunham and his Marines advanced, they quickly began to receive enemy fire. Corporal Dunham ordered his squad to dismount their vehicles and led one of his fire teams on foot several blocks south of the ambushed convoy. Discovering seven Iraqi vehicles in a column attempting to depart, Corporal Dunham and his team stopped the vehicles to search them for weapons. As they approached the vehicles, an insurgent leaped out and attacked Corporal Dunham. Corporal Dunham wrestled the insurgent to the ground and in the ensuing struggle saw the insurgent release a grenade. Corporal Dunham immediately alerted his fellow Marines to the threat. Aware of the imminent danger and without hesitation, Corporal Dunham covered the grenade with his helmet and body, bearing the brunt of the explosion and shielding his Marines from the blast. In an ultimate and selfless act of bravery in which he was mortally wounded, he saved the lives of at least two fellow Marines. By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

*SMITH, PAUL R.

Rank and Organization: Sergeant First Class, United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer

Fri Nov 16, 6:41 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Soldiers strained by six years at war are deserting their posts at the highest rate since 1980, with the number of Army deserters this year showing an 80 percent increase since the United States invaded Iraq in 2003.