Ultra-lite Synthetic Bags

darstog

Does anybody have any experience with the MH Ultralamina 45? I'm looking for an ultra-lite synthetic bag that would be used in conjunction with a belay jacket and micro-puff (pajama) pants in colder weather and as an ultra-lite standalone in the summer. I like the zipper setup on the MH more so than I do the setup on the Marmot Pounder, which is also in contention.

Of course, now that I think about it, I was thinking earlier in the year that I liked the Marmot better. They both have 11oz of fill, but the Marmot was 8oz lighter. Yeah, I was liking the Marmot better. So does anybody have experience with the Pounder?

Crap, there's probably a thread about that somewhere. Maybe this thread can be this amazing resource where everybody waxes about synthetic ultra-lights.

But you can't say "get a down bag" because I got a 1lb down bag. That's a rule. Go!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Pounder Plus bag and have really liked it for the 3+ years I've had it, the Pounder seems like a pretty sweet bag too. The only complaint I have is that primaloft doesn't breath that well and I wake up pretty sweaty sometimes, compared to a down bag or even some polarguard bags.

I would also recommend the FF Vireo half bag (yes I know it's down, but it's awesome and <1lb) or the Wild Things primaloft half bag, if you were planning on using it as part of a layering system.

I have a go-lite down bag that comes over the shoulders but doesn't have a hood and I really like that. This tosses the viero out. The thing about the half bag is that it's 13oz heavier than the pounder and I think a little less efficient than a pounder and a 13-oz heavier jacket/pants system.

Did it lose warmth because it wasn't stored properly or do you think it was because the Primaloft began to deteriorate (was it stored dirty/oily)? Or should it be expected that after about 100 nights on an uber-lite synthetic bag the thermal capacity will begin to drop? Were you compressing it frequently during the summer you used it a lot?

Did it lose warmth because it wasn't stored properly or do you think it was because the Primaloft began to deteriorate (was it stored dirty/oily)? Or should it be expected that after about 100 nights on an uber-lite synthetic bag the thermal capacity will begin to drop?

It could certainly be a combination of factors but Primaloft is not nearly as durable as some of the other popular synthetics. That being said, none of the other synthetics can touch it in a straight ounce for ounce comparison of warmth. It's actually warmer for it's weight than down (stay with me here) but you have to add material to it to keep it together which increases the weight to beyond comparable down. Primaloft does not handle repeated stuffings nearly as well as some of the more traditional synthetics (Polarguard 3D, Delta). It is certainly more performance driven than the other synthetics and the life span reflects this a bit.

Now like a few have said and many others will confirm that you can still get years of loyal service out of a Primaloft bag. Just know that for that additional weight savings and compressibility you are paying a durability price.

Also, be on the lookout: The upcoming Pounder and Pounder Plus bags will have Primaloft SB, which is a "sleeping bag" version of Primaloft giving about 20% more loft and 5% more warmth for the weight. The temps and weights stay the same as Marmot wanted to cement the bags as solid 40 and 25 degree performers as some questioned the rating and that's not Marmot's style to have bags even close to the advertised rating.

When in my pack it was in the stuff sack provided by marmot. So it wasn't in a compression sack cinched down to a softball or anything, but it wasn't hanging nicely in a closet either. When I slept in it I used a bag liner. Nothing was ever spilled on it and actually it never stunk either, so I don't think dirt and oil was a major factor. I think (as you and Baltoro have touched on) that it just couldn't stand up to being compressed that much. If you use it for a few over-nighters here and there and are able to store it properly then I'm sure it would last longer. Mine just couldn't hold up under everyday wear and tear (the Primaloft I mean, the construction and shell material were great).

I talked to someone at Feathered Friends when I was looking for a new bag and he mentioned that synthetics do break down (lose temp rating) faster than down (esp. w/increased use, and according to Baltoro Primaloft is even worse). But I can't say they're totally unbiased either ;)

Edited by sixoclocknews

Mountain Laurel Designs XP Quilt

BackPackingLight Bozeman Mountain Works Quilts

Look at these quilts. The have water resistant shells with Polarguard insulation. The largest is probably the BMW Pro 90 quilt. It also has the Pertex Endurance shell.

I use my Nunatak down quilt and will not go back to a regular bag unless in extreme conditions, meaning well below zero.