[TR] Mt Hood - Eliot Glacier (minus the HW plus the BS) 11/2/2007

Crackman

Trip: Mt Hood - Eliot Glacier (minus the HW plus the BS)

Date: 11/2/2007

Trip Report:

Laura was the only one willing to take me up on my offer to go check things out on the N side last Friday and see what might unfold. Well, we ended up getting in a fun route up and a not so fun route down.

Going up, we reached the base of the N face gullies at dawn and found them to be, as others had warned, “not in”

IMG_0666.JPG

So we kept traversing around the base of the N Cleaver and crossed a massive ramp between two large open crevasses to reach the upper Eliot glacier.

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

We continued up the center of glacier weaving a path of least resistance around and over numerous crevasses. The HW did not have any ice routes to offer us so we climbed solid ice and snow on the far right side to join the ridge above the Queens chair. I don’t think we climbed the actual HW (shown as route 7 in Thomas’ Oregon High photo) but skirted it to the right.

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

Anyway, beautiful conditions on the summit, never saw another soul.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

Ok here’s where it get’s interesting (but mostly embarrassing). I have never been up or down Cooper Spur before but didn’t expect it to be difficult to find and follow with clear conditions. Well I was wrong.

We passed up going down the ridge and and left here

IMG_0759.JPG

And instead, headed down the right side here

IMG_0763.JPG

After some initial easy down-climbing on perfect Styrofoam, we eventually dead ended at a small cliff band that appeared to connect with another snow slope not to far down below. I assumed we were on the route but that it had not yet filled in all the way with snow. We committed to a rap and soon discovered that this cliff led to more of the same and that we were in the midst of a very large, steep, chossy gully system that I now suspect is one of the notorious Black Spider routes. I lost count but it took around 10-12 raps with our single 60m rope, some dicey down climbing, and the rest of our daylight, to finally reach the Newton Clark glacier. It was constant challenge to balance moving fast and efficient with being methodical and safe. We were also very fortunate. Somehow, in the midst of this endless sea of choss, I always managed to locate a solid rock horn for the next rap anchor (even if it did require carving out the rubble behind it. There were also more close calls with rock fall and getting the rope stuck than I care to think about.

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

This descent was a whole new level of adventure for Laura but she was a champ and really kept it together. We were both very happy to have it behind us and make the final hike back to Cloud Cap before friends and family got too worried.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report. I was wondering how the north side was looking. Good on ya for gettin home safe. Looks like fun. My hands are itchin' to break out the tOOls...

Can anyone clarify for me exactly where the route taken falls in relation to the standard Sunshine route? From the pics and description it sounds/looks like the same route I took last year...thinking I was roughly on Sunshine (was my only trip up the North side). Did I have my head up my ass? Or am I just confusing the TR's description...?

Edited by jfs1978

O-M-FLIPPIN-SHIT. You rapped the Black Spider in November!!!

Congratulations on surviving that one!

There is some "decent " rock on the spider when its frozen in, so I am not surprised you found anchors. I have a photo I could post , would you be able to pick out the location you went down?

Some one else may have a pic in the mean time.

Jeebz,

Here is our route (red) relative to the Sunshine (green) which starts from snowdome and goes around horseshoe rock (usually the right side but sometimes left) and then up the ridge.

Hood_NF_10-12-07.jpg

Wayne, Is this the BS secret topo? If so, like Rob said, you already posted it. I think we came down near the purple line on the far right.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/upload/148804-Black%20Spider.jpg

Wow, congradualations on safely getting down the Black Spider! That route has been on my list for winter climbs for years and I always find a way to chicken out, tons of loose rock raining down from all directions. Keep this in your memory banks for future epics.

I hate to bring this up, but your decent route was directly below the snow cave where one of the missing north chute climbers was found last year. Had the rock fall conditions been better during the final search; this was one of the hot spots we wanted to check for their remains.

Dammit tim, I'm sitting in a starbucks in Veags and think I just pissed on myself from fear reading that story.

Bastard!

Even after going up the spur, coming down and picking the spot can be hard even when you have your own tracks. counterintuitive.

Damn, glad you got back dudes!

went up the spur sat/sun - very windy - the spur's complete, though thin covering on icy bottom - nice rap tim! holy fuck! looking up what you did i wanted to immediately drive back to camas and shoot you w/ a bazooka! a very nasty night indeed bivied near tie-in rock!