Who let these guys out of the gym?

backclipped

How is one to curb his anger as he watches an adjacent party of young bucks traverse across his top rope to get to the anchors of a climb too difficult for one of them to lead? Perhaps I was lucky to have ascertained my elementary climbing concepts from adept climbers...or had parental figures to instill manners.

A commandment from the climbing tablets: Nylon on Nylon is not a savory thing.

Something Pops told me way back when, "Wait your fucking turn!"

So what do you do in this situation?

Do you A) Lower your buddy and commence with verbal abuse, pack kicking and other protocols of pre-brawl foreplay.

B) Lower your buddy. Ask the adjacent belayer to lower his. Gather the two parties into a nice discussion circle in the dirt, and allow the young and uninformed to fire questions at the old hands in the know.

C) Walk them through how to get out of the unfortunate situation that they've put everyone involved in.

D) Climb away like nothing is going on.

We opted for choice C and then quickly retreated over Asterisk with the knowledge that young bucks need to be seen (they'll stay in the ghetto) and craggers are lazy (they'll stay in the ghetto too).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

option E = priceless...lol.

Or one of your party could have looked over to see what the heck they were doing and stopped them before starting the trouble next time.

Think we were getting close to option A. Young craggers + old rock jocks = newbie ass kicken.

You just can't assume people know what they are doing anymore. Gymn rats are for the most part dumb rats.

At least they TRed the route it would have been rather scary to watch them try and send that route.

Glad we took option C, would have felt sorry for stompin the newbies. Could you imagine that brawl?

I haven't been climbing long enough to know if people in the past actually knew what they were doing. Gym rats aren't dumb, they're just....not experienced. There is no way we could have brawled with those kids. They would have changed all of those route names in the Combination Block area to things like "Three assholes in jail", "Assault", "And the Rocks Run Red", "Dismembered Gym Rats", Triple Trouble, Double Thump, Should have Hesitated, Smashing Toy Blocks....etc.

Watching them try to send Ring of Fire would look strangely like me getting launched off of Bad Moon Rising. Humble pie is disgusting...sometimes I hate the higher ground.

Just curious why you didn't say something to them as they were crossing your rope? Anyone does something stupid (meaning unsafe) around me, I let them know immediately. I expect the same from others. It is actually a service we provide each other as far as I see it. We communicate with each other right then and there.

Some clueless dude started tromping right across the top of my rope stack last week and I nearly snatched him bald-headed before he ever knew what hit him. Amazing how quickly we came to a mutual understanding about where it was ok and not ok to for him to walk. :)

Just curious why you didn't say something to them as they were crossing your rope? Anyone does something stupid (meaning unsafe) around me, I let them know immediately. I expect the same from others. It is actually a service we provide each other as far as I see it. We communicate with each other right then and there.

You're 100 percent right. Looking out for one another is important. I don't have an answer to your question. Someone in my party should have said something, but we just let it unfold. Hindsight 20/20.

They talked to use and was ASSUMED (when you assume.....well you now the rest of that one) they were going to redirect via the nice fat bolted belay at the top of thier climb and ours. We did not double check what they were doing till after rope on rope action was achieved and illreversable.

Next time some one will be watching forsure!!

Some clueless dude started tromping right across the top of my rope stack last week and I nearly snatched him bald-headed before he ever knew what hit him. Amazing how quickly we came to a mutual understanding about where it was ok and not ok to for him to walk. :)

Was he a climber?

He was with group of noobs and had just been lowered from a route on the other side of me. It was like he was stepping on the rope so as to avoid touching the ground as he walked back over to them. :noway: