Stupid AP Article on Rock Climbing

jon

I don't know for sure, but I swear that people have become more inconsiderate over time. They are more removed from the outdoors, less in touch with nature, and therefore less concerned about their impact on it.

Well, I don't know about "inconsiderate" but in general, outdoor users have cleaned up our acts a LOT in the last couple decades.

I'm sure there's plenty here that remember the days when it was common practice to cut up trees for firewood and bedding, bury your garbage behind rocks, put your shit in a nice little bag and huck it off the cliff.... etc.

We used to shit in a paper bag, light it and throw it off the wall.

Now we don't.

The AP never gets it right.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are not lats, it is excess Yankie fat trying to get out.

Sorry, I've met her. Ruth is an Edmonton ex-pat.

So, OW, since you've met her, can you say she's hawt?

If so, you can clear my (apparently) tarnished image for thinking she has big lats.

We used to shit in a paper bag, light it and throw it off the wall. Now we don't.

Actually, I was at the base of El Cap last weekend and came across a paper bag. Thinking it was just trash I looked inside. Poop. Yuck.

BTW, why are those guys putting on their harnesses at the trailhead?

OK, I read the article. It is certainly cast in a negative light, which is what people like to read in the rags.

Climbers work with park staff to collect and remove tons of trash. A climbing ranger works to educate noobs about how to protect the environment while they climb. Climbing areas developing plans to protect their resources from overuse and abuse. Those sound like good things.

The quotes and story are just plain stupid. Not a quality piece.

If so, you can clear my (apparently) tarnished image for thinking she has big lats.

Oh, them are muffintop lats for sure, but she's lost a fair bit of weight since leaving Edmonton and she's headed in the right direction. She's plenty hawt, unless you're deeply smitten with the Kate Moss archetype.

I like how the author goes on to contradict themself:

"People are looking for weekend escapes," said Rick Potts, the former Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Chief for the National Park Service. "Trips are getting shorter, and trips into the backcountry are getting less and less common."

But I thought this article was about how theres an increase of people!?

I, too, got into climbing after watching an episode of "America's Top Model". Little did I realize the terrible cost I would have to pay: ravaged cuticles, days between waxings, and the horrible experience of confronting a rock that hadn't been cleaned before I touched it.

Good to see that climbing, like the rest of America, is flushing itself down the toilet in the most ridiculous of fashions. I do wonder, though, if more people are getting into climbing these days, as the article states, considering how expensive everything (gear, food, gas, air) is getting. Who has $1000 to get geared up for trad climbing?

This paragraph made me think of the goat scene in Jurassic Park.

"But on a recent weekend, when he came across an abandoned dog tied to a tree in the middle of bear country, he felt had no choice but to fine its owner $225 as he came strolling down from the summit."

Hmmm, dog as bear bait...

:rolleyes:

I, too, got into climbing after watching an episode of "America's Top Model". Little did I realize the terrible cost I would have to pay: ravaged cuticles, days between waxings, and the horrible experience of confronting a rock that hadn't been cleaned before I touched it.

Good to see that climbing, like the rest of America, is flushing itself down the toilet in the most ridiculous of fashions. I do wonder, though, if more people are getting into climbing these days, as the article states, considering how expensive everything (gear, food, gas, air) is getting. Who has $1000 to get geared up for trad climbing?

You have to poop where?

:o

This paragraph made me think of the goat scene in Jurassic Park.

"But on a recent weekend, when he came across an abandoned dog tied to a tree in the middle of bear country, he felt had no choice but to fine its owner $225 as he came strolling down from the summit."

Hmmm, dog as bear bait...

:rolleyes:

what I thought was lame was that they call the dog "abandoned", yet the owner returned right as the ranger was there. I don't "abandon" my dog every single time I leave it alone for a couple of hours. Over-inflated hystronics--just like the rest of the article.

Oh, them are muffintop lats for sure, but she's lost a fair bit of weight since leaving Edmonton and she's headed in the right direction. She's plenty hawt, unless you're deeply smitten with the Kate Moss archetype.

I feel vindicated. Thanx, OW.