Alpine Trekkers - Practical?

gertlush

A friend of mine is keen to try backcountry skiing, we had her out on a pair of tele's but she didn't like that. So I've picked her up a pair of used alpine trekkers. Before we go out though I wonder if anybody knows of any issues or problems with using them that we should look out for?

The one thing I was worried about is skinning up. She'll be using her regular downhill boots so they don't flex, is that going to really suck? I'd be interested to hear people's experiences using them.

Thanks,

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her alpine boots won't be optimal but they will work. As far as the trekkers it will quickly be obvious why AT binding exist. The trekker is heavy and akward, but it will help get her uphill. If she is going to ski much it may be worth it to just get into some fritshi's or something like that.

I don't have any experience with them personally but have read a bunch of reviews. I think they work well enough as long as you don't have to do any side hilling or edging. They have poor torsional stiffness.

Alpine boots will be fine for going uphill but the forward lean is really painful along the flats.