Winter Route on Hood?

piscomac

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thing is, Minnesota guy, (or anyone) that you need to not be GOAL oriented, but process oriented. Especially in the winter where the weather can just suck donkey balls.

If you come out here from Minn with a goal of summiting, you may be tempted to squeeze in the summit and elevate your risk by ignoring things you need to be paying attention too, like the fellas last year.

If you come out to hang with your bros and to enjoy some climbing, and are thinking "process" and not "Goal", then you (in my mind) increase the odds that you'll have a balls deep time of it and beautiful memories for years to come. It's like the guy Anderl says to Jonathon in the Eiger Sanction, "Jonathan, you're very good. I have enjoyed climbing with you."

Dude is all about enjoying the climbing, the process.

I don't know if that made sense.

Maybe I should say it again?

How about just hooking up with an existing CC.comer some of these dudes seem to get up there all the time and survive some heinous shit (search for recent Hood trip reports from which will shrink your testicals).

Edited by billcoe

The east face of Crater Rock is the hairiest part of the climb. That's just as you enter the Devils Kitchen area. I believe the elevation is around 10200. The route runs right up against Crater Rock on the left and the snow is frequently deposited deeply on a 35° slope just above the route.

The crazy thing about the Crater Rock/Chute area is the loading can vary drastically during the course of the day, since the wind shifts around in there depending on the prevailing winds on the mountain. So the east facing slopes and SW facing chute can be totally loaded or bomber depending on the recent precip and wind patterns.

There are really no safe routes right after a decent storm. You can probably sneak over the south shoulder of Crater rock if you have to, but it's best to let it settle after a big dump. Now, if it's a small dump on a solid base then take your skis.

Good info on ava for the NW @ this site http://www.nwac.us/products/SABNW

Gotta have your shit together to do a winter ascent of mt hood and survive it. Especially this year...

"Currently living in Minnesota has limited my resources. Also, what are some possible ski/snowboard decent routes? Past trip reports, etc?

"

Some good climbers met their end up there just last year. They were from out of town too.

Here we go again...

• 2 weeks later...