Heybrook Ridge

Tony_Bentley

Heybrook Ridge myspace

Heybrook Ridge dot org

Heybrook Ridge is the feaure that divides the North and South forks of the Skykomish River at it's junction. It is also what climbers will look beyond while climbing the upper and lower town walls while viewing Mount Index.

This photo is from Lookout Point

l_8958a84a912e0d260ebf502e9bf46db9.jpg

This is an awareness campaign to help protect Heybrook Ridge from being sold for clear cutting in June of 2008. There is a group of Index residents that have formed a non-profit focused on raising money to buy the land and protect it from logging and development forever.

The myspace and the website are to help spread the word so please join the myspace if you are on there. I am also reaching out the core users in the recreational arena for a helping hand. If anyone would like to be a part of this, get in touch with me via myspace or from the main website. We are looking for gear companies, retail stores and any other businesses to donate whatever they can as auction items at the next fundraiser. The last party in Everett was a ton of fun and so there is talk about having one in Seattle pretty soon as well.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a big painting in my living room of Heybrook from the perspective of top of 3rd pitch of DH:

indexpainting.jpg

From the climbers perspective, the view from the upper wall is amazing. It would be sad to look out at a big clearcut. I know we have talked about this issue in other threads, but thanks for bringing it up Tony. Shame I didn't know about the October event.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So far they have $573,000. They need about $800,000 more to seal the deal. If anyone would like to help out, I need a content manager for the website. I'm planning on rebuilding it but I don't have the time to both build it and keep adding content as the board sends it to me.

I think they are planning on buying as much as they can before the expiration date if they can't get the full amount.

• 2 weeks later...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts:

Nick Harper, CLC Snohomish County Conservation Director, 425-303-2555.

Louise Lindgren, President, Friends of Heybrook Ridge, 360-793-1534

Groups rally to conserve Heybrook Ridge from Clear-Cut

Index, Snohomish County -- The Cascade Land Conservancy has joined with a grassroots group of residents, outdoor enthusiasts, Snohomish County elected officials and a generous anonymous donor to save a forested mountain ridge near Index.

Index is a hamlet in eastern Snohomish County just off Highway 2 in the Skykomish Valley. Efforts have been under way for several months to conserve Heybrook Ridge, 130 acres of mature forest that provides a stunningly beautiful backdrop for the town’s 150 residents and the many visitors to the area. The Index Town Wall is a popular rock-climbing destination.

Now all the elements needed for the $1.21 million purchase of the property are in place. Action by the Snohomish Conservation Futures Advisory Board, Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon and the Snohomish County Council are expected to come together over the next few weeks to make the conservation of the property a reality.

“"Our vision of a forest park that offers education as well as recreation will soon be a reality,” said Louise Lindgren of the Friends of Heybrook Ridge.

“Partnering with the CLC and local residents to purchase Heybrook Ridge allows us to provide a legacy to the residents of Index and the region,” said Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon. “Under the County’s protection, Heybrook Ridge will continue to provide opportunities for hiking and climbing and contribute to the natural beauty of the area.”

“This is a great example of a community coming together to preserve a local jewel that is central to both its charm and character. All of us owe a big thank you to the Friends of Heybrook Ridge for making this happen,” said County Councilmember Dave Somers, whose district includes the Index area.

“What a wonderful accomplishment for the resident of Index and the county,” said Maryanne Tagney Jones, CLC Board Chair. “The region will soon have a new park right on the edge of the new Wild Sky Wilderness Area.”

“Cooperation and partnerships are the key to maintaining the regions quality of life,” said Gene Duvernoy, President, Cascade Land Conservancy. “The Conservancy is pleased to have worked with the Friends of Heybrook Ridge, Snohomish County and the landowner, WB Foresters, to make this project a reality.”

The Cascade Land Conservancy secured an option to purchase the property which was set to expire July 31, 2008. The property was appraised at $1.21 million, which the landowners have accepted.

Friends of Heybrook Ridge are contributing $550,000, including $500,000 from an anonymous donor. Snohomish County through the Snohomish Conservation Futures voted Tuesday to approve $700,000 for the project. The Conservancy is exercising its option on the property and a sale agreement is being worked out with the County, Friends of Heybrook Ridge and landowners over the next week. Snohomish County Parks will be the eventual owner of the property with the Friends of Heybrook Ridge contributing additional funding toward trail building and interpretation.

“The smooth formation of this purchasing partnership showcases the importance of preserving Heybrook Ridge for our county. Conserving this forested treasure is a once in a lifetime opportunity and will benefit generations to come,” said County Councilmember Brian Sullivan, who as Chair of the Finance Committee, helped make funding a reality.

Besides the importance of the land to the residents of Index, the ridge's impacts reach far beyond them.

The forest regrew naturally, after an early logging of the ridge's old-growth timber, so it's considered an "outdoor classroom" for students of all ages. For example, a University of Washington, Bothell, professor, David Stokes, has taken students onto the ridge to study its ecology. Supporters also point to a new U.S. Forest Service program, More Kids in the Woods, which could be a natural fit.

Index also benefits. Its general store, B&Bs, and new Outdoor Adventures Center cater to hikers, climbers, and river adventure enthusiasts. Index and Heybrook Ridge will now become an important gateway to the new Wild Sky Wilderness Area.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to share among this great news. The celebration on

Saturday was a blast. Heybrook Ridge, 130 acres of mature

forestland above the Town of Index and directly opposite the Town

Walls, is now a county park. It was a partnership with the Friends

of Heybrook Ridge, Snohomish County, Cascade Land Conservancy,

and the landowners, W.B. Foresters. It came with the support of

many donors and hard work among the local community and many of us

who consider Index a second home. As the project manager for CLC

in Snohomish County, I was fortunate to provide the transactional

assistance and negotiate the purchase and assign it to Snohomish

County. Now, the Friends of Heybrook Ridge and County will

continue their amazing work for stage 2 to build hiking trails and

spearhead environmental education with the local community.

Thanks to everyone that gave their support along the way!

Click here for photos of the celebration

More background info can be found at:

Friends of Heybrook Ridge

Cascade Land Conservancy

Cheers,

Joe