Tell me this isn't true - Jim Anglin

Cobra_Commander

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts, it's completely shocking to all of us here and your words and thought are greatly appreciated.

My sisters name is Cheryll Anglin. Jim was my brother (in-law and in spirit). When I was a 15 year-old street punk (30 some odd years ago) he taught me what life was and that there was nothing that I couldn't accomplish if I put my mind to it. I owe him and my sister my life and I consider myself one of the richest individuals in the world for the opportunity to have been part of his life.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a regular here, but joined in order to duplicate a post that I made in a tribute thread to Jim on Supertopo, since many of Jim's family and friends seem to be here.

This is the supertopo thread URL: tribute

Here is what I wrote:

My thoughts are with his family and those close to him.

My chances to spend time with him were few, but even in that short span I could see that he squeezed every drop from the days that he had.

What a loss.

Readying a rap at Redrocks, 2003:

jim_on_geronimo_2.jpg

Leading Risky Business at Redrocks, 2003:

jim_leading_risky_business_1a.jpg

Following on Warpaint at Cochise, 2007:

jim_on_warpaint.jpg

Leading on the Rad Wall at Cochise, 2007:

jim_on_the_trad_wall.JPG

At ease at Mt. Lemmon, 2007:

jim_at_ease_at_mt_lemmon.jpg

Taking advantage of an empty campground at Mt. Lemmon, 2007:

jim_w_digiridoo.JPG

Topped out at sunset, Mt. Lemmon, 2007:

sunset_beers_on_top.JPG

Cheers, mate.

I recently came to know Jim through some shared route development at a new crag near the Gorge where we both lived. He was soft spoken, always friendly, no ego or bull. After several times climbing together, my impression was simply "really nice guy". It wasn't until months later that I gleaned from conversations with others and spotting his name with an FA in guide books that Jim was quite an incredible guy. He'd been in the rock world for years, made his mark on it, and after all these years still had a twinkling eye, happy enthusiasm just to be out, anywhere. I feel richer for having shared some time out with him. My sadness is tempered by the memories.

I am in vegas now, and it's the strangest thing in that I was thinking of Jim when Ujahn and I were coming down from dream of wild turkeys just yesterday, which I think I remember Jim saying was his fav climb in the world.

I was thinking of several related Jim things as well including the pics he'd posted of his last red rocks trip where my poor memory was trying to remember if he'd repeated turkeys with Joanne Uriste, the fa of that route. I couldn't remember the route, but I remember the sparkle in Jims eye which the camera captured.

Since Jim isn't hardly ever in my thoughts, I was shocked and surprised on the return trip to town from Turkeys to see several phone messages. (everyone who knows me knows I never listen to them so they don't typically leave them and I don't hardly ever get them) As I'm also down here for business, I assumed it was a crisis at work. This was shocking as I have a fully trained group who are conditioned to handle every extingency, so that I can go to ...say...Nepal, for 4 weeks and not carry a sat phone.

It was my friends leaving the message that Jim has died. My stomach tightened up, and I was in shocked disbelief. Jim was the kind of person that if we could all be a bit more like, the world would be a better place. His passing leaves a void in the world and a sadness in my heart.

It's nice to see Josephs pic of him on Beacon, it brought back a memory of Joseph, Jim and I doing Young warriors, and although Jim had been climbing out there a lot that spring, he hadn't ever done that route. Jim led the long 3rd pitch and sure enough got off route, despite our earlier efforts to describe that wandering 3rd pitch to him. His eyes were twinkling and he was fairly humored when we climbed up to see him looking exactly like a treed raccoon way the hell up the wrong direction belaying from an off route slab and pointed out the errors of his ways.

Goodbye Jim, my turn will come soon enough, but I'm sad you can't be here with us and checked out early. It is a reminder to all of us to treat each other just a bit better, to laugh at our fellow mans folies instead of yelling and displaying anger, to help out a soul who needs it, and remember that our end is all too near, sometimes shockingly so.

Thanks for the phone messages guys.

hello..

i want to thank you all for the stories and Pictures also...Jim was my uncle..it's nice to read the stories and see the pic, jim did not brag about what he did so it was hard to get any stories out of him..lol nice to read about it from the people he did it with...

I think the best thing to best discribe Jim was said above..you wanted to be like him...he was our familys Rock..and taught us all so much..

But im not sad for Him...he lived his life 100 times over..im sad for the little ones in our family who wont get to do the things with Jim we got to...he made life fun..

thank you all very much

Jarrod Miller

To my young boys (Caleb and Sage) Captain Jim is kind of a super hero. Their favorite night time stories are of the climbing adventures Jim and I have shared. I was so touched by the fact that even my 10 year old boy told his teacher that his friend Jim had fallen off of a cliff and died over the weekend. Jim was a friend, climbing partner and mentor to many.

To Jim's family, I am so sorry for your loss. The one thing I can say is that your life has been truly blessed by the years you have had with Jim.

If your kids (or you) ever need to hear of the adventures Captain Jim and I have shared please call me at any time, I am so pleased to relive these moments again and again.

Cody

541-954-9678

I want to thank everyone again for their thoughts and prayers. I wanted to write more before but it was too painful. But it is comforting to know that there are so many people that cared for and admired him.

I want everyone to know that in addition to the friend and rock climber that everyone here knows, he was a great father and grandfather. My childhood is full of the same kinds of adventures that many of you shared with him…exploring the wilderness around Dallas, Oregon where he grew up, rock climbing at the Skinner Butte Columns in Eugene, hiking around the Cascade mountains. Many of these activities we shared into my adulthood.

Although I already miss him terribly, it is more painful to think of my daughters growing up without their Papa. On his many trips down to Arizona he was always happy and patient, teaching them yoga in the back yard and taking them on short hikes. The girls were always excited when they knew Grandma and Papa were coming for a visit.

I was very fortunate to spend some time with him just a few weeks before the accident. On a walk to the park with my daughter, he said something that, in hindsight seems very important. My daughter was talking about the past, present and future, when dad quoted-

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that’s why we call it the present”. I think this quote is summery of how he lived his life. He crammed as much into every day as possible. From climbing mountains in Peru, windsurfing in Hawaii, rafting the Grand Canyon, his life was one adventure after another.

Something else he said in his last email when I was complaining about how much work I had to do after moving into my new house- “It's never the destination that life is about but instead the whole ride.” Although my dad has made it to his destination…I think he had a good ride.

His last words will always be memorable to me. He had a huge impact on my life and taught me so much…thanks dad.

John

I met Jim at the Menagarie a few years ago, i was about to climb Rawhide and Jim offered some beta. He was hanging out near there in one of the caves. He gave me some advice about the route and told me that right after the crux to take a look around. Resting on a good hold after the move, I laughed out loud at the plastic yellow banana stuck into one of the pockets.

Jim always had a smile on his face when I saw him and was always open to sharing information about routes and new areas. He will be missed.

Over the past few years I became good friends with Jim. Acctually I joined cc to pm him for information on the Menagerie. I always had so many qeustions for him about his routes and such. So eventually we met up to climb in the Menagerie. We instantly got along with our passion for aid climbing, the Menagerie, bolt replacement and other passtimes. After that Jim was a frequent climbing partner of mine, out in the Menagerie and at Smith as well as other areas. I went down to Yosemite this winter for my 21st birthday with Jim, we spent the day free climbing in the sun then went to hang out in the alcove on El Cap. Where Jim pulled out a bottle of schnapps and handed it to me with a "happy birthday". Now I hadn't really thought of going to a bar or anything but Jim made sure I got that birthday buzz. We sat there till the sun went down just telling stories from young vs old, Jims stories where always the best. Now we didnt get up any walls that trip because of snow, but it was an extremely memorable one in my book. Now this past Friday Jim called to let me know he was going to be out at Smith, I tryed to get him to come to the Menagerie, but he had already had plans with his wife to head down that driection. As always he was excited to climb but also was excited because he was about to take a little bit of time off climbing to enjoy some of the other aspects of life. Jim wished me luck and was already looking forward to hearing about what we climbed. That was the last I heard. I spent the rest of the weekend in the Menagerie until monday evening coming up with all sorts of new questions for Jim. When I arrived back to Washington where I'm living now, I finally plugged in my phone to check for messages. The first message was from a friend desribing the situation, I knew he was mistaken. The when the next message was from JR I knew it was true. Jim was a true inspirtation. For anyone whos repeated any of his routes at Smith or in the Menagerie, you know how competent of a climber he was. Jim was a mentor to me, I learned so much from him, and continued to do so. But most importantly he was a friend. And thats what I'll remeber.

Jim- I will miss you tons my friend. Till the next time I can ask you a question about some climb. As you would always say to me go tear it up!

-Tyler

P.S. You can be sure that your ledge will make it up Skull Queen this next time!

playing_oppossumsmall.jpg

Jim on the 2nd ascent of his own route "Playing Opossum"

callis_se_face_029_small.jpg

in his element in the Menagerie

Picture_004.jpg

scoping his own route "Bubbas in Bondage" on the PLW

IMG_0421.jpg

on a speedy ascent of the east face

jim anglin is a legendary figure in oregon rock climbing. his adventurous spirit and passion for new routes - in good style - is admirable and proud. his spirit will always live on and be inspiration to those that new him and to those that only knew of him. i'm unfortunately the latter and will always think of him as i walk down into smith and look up at the picnic lunch wall or as i pass cull's in space when walking the backside.

jim, thanks for being the person that you were and setting an example of what climbers can aspire to be. you will be missed by many and surely me.

condolences to the family and immediate friends of this wonderful human being.