i have to quit sugar

sk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my one vice is pepsi. it wouldnt be so bad if i only had it now and then, but i drink it ALL the time! i need to quit, but it is hard to do. id probably lose a lot of weight, and climb without getting tired so quick.

good luck on quitting sugar! i hope it works out for you.

I think the trick is to give up all sugar, and after a while you'll lose your taste for it. Eventually, you'll even say "What did I see in this crap?" (Just like quitting an old boyfriend.) Just go totally without for a few weeks and don't look back...

I used to smoke 2 packs a day but quit years ago. I was never crazy about sugar, but briefly this year had a weakness for Hagen-Daas that started to increase until I just stopped before my waistline began to increase with it.

My one remaining vice is coffee. Mmmmm... coffffeee...

:tup:

Some people (myself included) have found that an occasional cleanse helps lower or get rid of sugar cravings. Like many things it’s not for everyone but I’ve found it helped the cravings the couple times I’ve done it in the past. I’ve used the “Master Cleanser” otherwise known as the “Lemonade Diet” with success. I like this one because as I’ve found I can actually function while doing it. Not going to be doing any heavy activity but at least you can go to work.

http://www.mastercleanser.com/

the "go without for a while" is the whole premise of South Beach, which is one of the few "diets" that make good sense and work for a lifetime. you start with 2 weeks of zero sugar/carbs/etc. to lose your taste for it and change your appetite to a more stable, less sugar dependent one. then you slowly add in good carbs (fruits, whole grains, etc). it's more complicated than that, but may be worth getting a book to check it out.

the "go without for a while" is the whole premise of South Beach, which is one of the few "diets" that make good sense and work for a lifetime. you start with 2 weeks of zero sugar/carbs/etc. to lose your taste for it and change your appetite to a more stable, less sugar dependent one. then you slowly add in good carbs (fruits, whole grains, etc). it's more complicated than that, but may be worth getting a book to check it out.

There you go. And I'm not on some trendy diet - I just stick to nutritious foods. Fresh veggies, grains, nuts, carbs, dairy, etc. I don't pay a publisher or a writer to figure out how to do that. I've read the chapters on nutrition in the marathon and other training books that I've read, and most of them agree with what I've been doing. Much of it is just common sense.

If you're really serious about this, first don't keep sugary stuff in the house. Even if it's just a little bit 'for guests' or whatever excuse you give yourself. And second, every time you get a sugar craving, do something to get your mind off of it. Stretch, walk around the block, make a cup of tea, etc... And of course you'll fall off the wagon occasionally but don't feel bad. Just start again the next day.

Good luck. That's a tough one...

Sugar is killing the health of our country. Everything has high fructose corn syrup in it these days. I started the Zone diet about 6 weeks ago and could not feel better. I had zero weight to lose, I just wanted better physical performance. It is crazy what this way of eating will do to/for you. I have dropped around 4-5% body fat but I have not lost a pound. I have kept all my strength and feel amazing.

Try it for a month or two. It will make a huge difference in your quality of life. It does suck at first though. Very litle bread, no pasta or rice and no sugar. All carbs come from fruits and veggies. I truly believe it is they way we were intended to eat.

help :cry:

i am a heavy addict since i quit smoking a little over a year ago.

This is America.

You need one of these things in your food or it aint food in America

sugar

fat

salt

Once in a while there is a nice blend of all three. Sweet Maui Onion potato chips. Yum.

Some people (myself included) have found that an occasional cleanse helps lower or get rid of sugar cravings. Like many things it’s not for everyone but I’ve found it helped the cravings the couple times I’ve done it in the past. I’ve used the “Master Cleanser” otherwise known as the “Lemonade Diet” with success. I like this one because as I’ve found I can actually function while doing it. Not going to be doing any heavy activity but at least you can go to work.

http://www.mastercleanser.com/

hey lady, i've done this cleanse a couple of times once for 12 days and i think once for 16 days....if you have any questions about it...it did totally squash my sugar cravings and has caused me to eat super healthy....about to go back onto the cleanse.

you all totally RULE!!! i think i just need to pick a date and just not eat it any more. this is harder than quiting anything else. with the kids in the house it is hard to not have treats. i don't want them to feel like they are growing up in a concentration camp (my mom was a total food nazi) but i am way out of control and packing on weight. I way more now than i have since i had my hysterectomy 8 years ago. i recognize that part of all of this is becuase i have been so injured and not able to do my normal stuff so i have sought comfort in food. just the idea of quiting sugar makes me feel nervous and shaky. stoopid addictions any way.

i think i quite smoking like 29 times before i really quit.

my one vice is pepsi. it wouldnt be so bad if i only had it now and then, but i drink it ALL the time! i need to quit, but it is hard to do. id probably lose a lot of weight, and climb without getting tired so quick.

good luck on quitting sugar! i hope it works out for you.

I was reading an article on vending machines in schools, and it said that one study was saying that one can of regular Pepsi or Coke per day means almost 10 pounds after a year for the average adult male.

I 'went healthy' about four years ago. I grew up in Texas, and on what I refer to as the "Texas Trinity": BBQ, Tex-Mex, and southern food (read: gravy). I still have a taste for the stuff.

I didn't subscribe to any diet plan. What I found that did work was incremental change . Making a massive 'swing' life change, such as cutting out all refined sugars in one whack, is really challenging, I think. If you've got the steely nerves to make that work, then you'll be fine. If you think you might not be able to stick with it however, you might think about just making one change at a time.

For instance, my first change was to stop drinking sugary sodas. Man, that was a bitch.

Next, I worked on integrating more fresh fruits and vegetables into my daily routine.

Next, I worked on eating 'till I wasn't hungry anymore, instead of eating 'till I was full. This one is a tough-y. I basically eat lightly all day, then pig out at dinner still. I excuse this because I run and climb a lot.

Trying to do everything at once is a recipe for making ones' self miserable, IMHO. Incremental changes give you intermediate results and positive feedback, which are essential to changing your food lifestyle. Why essential? Because the benefits are slow-coming. Sure, you can lose weight, but it takes months. Months of not doing the things you like doing now. I think it is crazy hard to make a huge change and just stick with it, which is why it doesn't work for most peps. The small changes allow you to say "wow, I kicked soda. What's next?".

Good luck!