[TR] Sumallo Headwall - Zero Gully 10/27/2007

Don_Serl

Trip: Sumallo Headwall - Zero Gully

Date: 10/27/2007

Trip Report:

I was gonna head back down to the seracs on Baker with a few buddies, but one of the guys I contacted mentioned doing something in the alpine cuz the weather was gonna be suitable. This got me thinking, and Zero Gully seemed to fit the bill - fairly close to town, short approach, and a nice climb for the autumn. In the end Fishstick, GR, RT, and I left town at 5 and arrived at the end of the road at 8 after a lard-puck stop at McDonald in Hope. Btw, there's a gate on the upper valley road 1/2km beyond the forks, but while it's chained, it's not actually locked. We got Graham's RAV4 to the flats below Silvertip - beyond that, it's now ATV terrain.

We got away from the car just before 8:30, hit the end of the road in an hour, and crossed the meadows and scree-fields to the snow in another half-hour. Here we cramponned and harnessed up, and by about 10:30 were crunching up hard neve with 5cm-10cm of surface snow of varying consistencies. Once into the gully proper, we encountered wildly varying conditions, from sections of very hard old neve to deep, punky, energy-consuming spindrift-slabs to a few places where the points actually scrabbled on dirt and/or rock. A couple hundred meters up, RT (who's a newbie) reached his comfort limit for soloing, so I roped him up and led and belayed a couple pitches. However, belays were pretty much non-existent with the gear we brought ( a few screws - useless! and a half dozen tri-cams - managed to place one... ), and we were gonna have to downclimb the route (very time consuming), so at 12:30 at about half-height I decided to shepherd RT back down while Fishstick and GR continued to the top. By 3pm we were back at the road-head, and at 4 the others caught up to us, having taken another hour to reach the col thru some "very funky snow" and "badly rotten ice". Sporty! By 5 we were back at the car, and it started to shower at 7:30 just as we got back into Vancouver - I love it when it happen that way!

Summary: the cirque is awesome, the approach is cake, and the route conditions are 'entertaining'. take a handful of thin pitons and leave any and all other gear at home. it'll stay good till we get heavy snow...

there's a Michael Layton photo in the gallery that shows roughly current conditions:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=27&size=big&cat=&si=zero

i'll try to get a cpl more up once i get some digitals from GR.

cheers,

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to thank GR, Fishstick and especially DS for inviting me to their trip. It was an eye-opening experience for me and a great introduction to what 'couloir soloing' is like. Halfway up the gulley I lost some of my nerves and vocalized my discomfort before I got myself in trouble and perhaps turned a good day into a bad one for everybody. DS graciously put me on a rope and we turned back. Thanks DS.

This my first time in the Sumallo area and had no idea how beautiful it could be. With a little more experience I hope to be back.

Once again thanks to the 3 for taking me.

RT

all 7 would have been welcome - there was quite a bit of pretty deep flogging where the spindrift had packed in.

then again, there were some cool sections of 50 degree HARD neve too...

way different than 'last time'! ain't snow and ice wonderful that way.

cheers,

Are you sure it was a grizz? They were attempting to reintroduce them into the area about 5-10 yrs ago, but I think most of them were either shot by hunters, or managed to make their way back to the Coast from where they were unfortunately taken in the first place.

Nice!! After trying this route during the Spring 3 times, I'm switching my plans to early Fall for next year. Fred's guarantee'd me he's not going back again. Oh, and for anyone going, there's a nice sized grizzly that patrols the road. Might be asleep now though...

Jmace and i just got back from zero gully, we climbed it & went on to summit sumallo peak, great shape, good times, look out for loaded logging trucks on the road and they are locking the gate now...

Pics:

ct13.jpg

The cirque

condish.jpg

The route

ctspindrift.jpg

Spindrift welcome party!

ctlowtrav.jpg

ctsteeper.jpg

ctcruxin.jpg

ctcrux2.jpg

cthightrav.jpg

cthighgully.jpg

cttopout.jpg

Climbing photos from the route

ctpayne.jpg

Payne and Jesse on way to summit of Sumallo.

ctsumallo.jpg

Summit cap of Sumallo Peak's SE summit. There is a NW summit that is the same approximate height just hidden in left of photo behind foreground rocks.

ctsilverride.jpg

Rideout with silvertip behind. Traversing over to the Silvertip-Rideout col is NOT the fastest way off Zero Gully. Downclimb you must young Jedi!

We ended up placing a soft iron pin and an abalakov for rap anchors and downclimbing the rest of the gully. The pin was superfluous, we started rapping 30m too high, but with double ropes would be in the right postion. It seems like there must have been more snow and thicker ice and less bare rock than last week as per Don's report above. We could not find any kicked steps from last week and in fact most of ours from the way up had been filled in by spindrift on the way down.

We took a couple thin pins, a couple screws and a couple Tricams. All could have been used. I suppose pickets could have been used too but if you spend a lot of time belaying on this route you will have a very late day out at this time of year.