Into the Wild

dmuja

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to our own what?

Oh, I fall under the retardations catagory, huh?

its just the point that examining that kids life and calling him a failure/narcissist/etc is a bit silly. He died tragically. He failed at life. Its all good to sit around and judge him, if that makes you feel better. I think the real thing to take away from the book (haven't seen the movie) is introspection of your own dealio. How are you retarded? Is it better to burn out then fade away? Lets ride bikes.

to our own what?

Oh, I fall under the retardations catagory, huh?

its just the point that examining that kids life and calling him a failure/narcissist/etc is a bit silly. He died tragically. He failed at life. Its all good to sit around and judge him, if that makes you feel better. I think the real thing to take away from the book (haven't seen the movie) is introspection of your own dealio. How are you retarded? Is it better to burn out then fade away? Lets ride bikes.

Judging him does make me feel better. But not better than I feel when I am eating one of those orange creamsicles. Remember those from your childhood? I got a hankering for them a little while back and bought some. Whoolllyyyyyeee shite I forgot how good they are! And they have a weird, squeky plastiquy texture to them that make them irresistable. Oh I love those things.

I read the book and thought that he was a profoundly naive, narcissistic kid who was obsessed with his own righteousness, and the manner in which he treated his family was completely inexcusable.

Interesting that you make no mention of Chris's discovery that his father had not been divorced from his first wife when he married Chris's mom, and also fathered a child with the first wife after Chris was born.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an 18-year-old capable of forgiving their father after learning that, but maybe the ones who aren't naive and self-righteous would just take that right in stride.

I read the book and thought that he was a profoundly naive, narcissistic kid who was obsessed with his own righteousness, and the manner in which he treated his family was completely inexcusable.

Interesting that you make no mention of Chris's discovery that his father had not been divorced from his first wife when he married Chris's mom, and also fathered a child with the first wife after Chris was born.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an 18-year-old capable of forgiving their father after learning that, but maybe the ones who aren't naive and self-righteous would just take that right in stride.

Well, gee, that's par for the course for V7 - check out the monogamy thread.

Really? You found someone else naive and narcissistic, and judged their actions as completely inexcusable? Wow, what a surprise . . . :rolleyes:

I would venture to say that learning to forgive others is the second most important thing a person can learn to do.

The family I refer to includes Mother/Father/siblings. Krakauer discusses the impact that the guys choices had on his mother at some length in interviews that he's given about the book. I don't recall the book clearly enough to remember to what extent he mentioned this in the book.

this thread could have ended with this post, but it will probably end now because i seem to end alot of threads.

I remember thinking that everyone who lived in the suburbs and worked in a cubicle had "false" values and were so blind. Ah, the arrogance of youth.

Shit, I still feel that way and probably always will - at least I plan to.

JayB,

Would mom forgive you if you'd happened to crater while climbing?

The kid lacked experience and had a (too?) strong romantic vision near as I can tell. He also could not understand nor accept the poverty we have in the US.

Thank grog there are such types from time to time.

I'll see it if for no other reason than to piss off the people who have been brainwashed by fox "news" and comedian rush limbaugh to hate Sean Penn.

why are you so in love with the so called open minded "liberal media"? and do you think the fact that you just graduated from college and live in an overly liberal environment has anything to do with this?

I'll see it if for no other reason than to piss off the people who have been brainwashed by fox "news" and comedian rush limbaugh to hate Sean Penn.

why are you so in love with the so called open minded "liberal media"? and do you think the fact that you just graduated from college and live in an overly liberal environment has anything to do with this?

a more fundamental question is how could such a mental midget actually acquire a college degree from any university in the US.

Hey Kaka,Pink, do you have a degree? Pedigree?

For your love of Facts, and studies, and such, I find it hard to fathom how you can defend Rush Limbaugh in any way.

And I would say the same for Teddy Kennedy but that's just pre-emptive so you don't go off on some liberal-brainwashed-hippy-freak-Bush-basher thing.

I am all for Fox News existing. They present a bias from the other direction and we do need balance so there is not so much penulum swinging. But I puke at what they call news. Same with the other major media stations but again, that's just pre-emptive so you don't go off on some liberal-brainwashed-hippy-freak-Bush-basher thing.

I read the book a few days after it's initial roll out, and I remember being decidedly unimpressed. I couldn't empathize with the the man or his situation whatsoever. Frankly I think he got what he was asking for, so big deal.

I still think John's short stories were the pinnacle of his writings.

I thought the movie was pretty good. A tad too long for my attention, as I had to get up and walk around twice! The movie was done well and the scenery was great! It didnt really evoke any intense feelings one way or the other. I did appreciate and maybe even admire his ability to live for the moment. Reckless? I suppose. Unprepared? Obviously. Did he enjoy the adventures he made for himself? Overall, I would say yes. I dont doubt he had that invincible feeling most of the time and probably didnt care if he DID die - until he was on deaths bed, that is.

We are all a bit narcissistic. I cant help but think part of what he learned about himself and the world around him through his narcissistic ways would have been rubbed off onto others in a positive way. Its just too bad he hadnt thought things through completely.

Quite an adventure.

I love it when the resident Phi Beta Kappa crows about his academic credentials. :wave:

News flash for you, Tucker: you only fool the people who are fox news stupid. For the rest of us you're a seemingly endless source of amusement. The best comment today was, "I recall reading reports on studies of this." :lmao:

I am all for Fox News existing. They present a bias from the other direction and we do need balance so there is not so much penulum swinging. But I puke at what they call news.

Not necessarily directed at you, Bug -- but people who think the "mainstream media" is overly liberal don't have much credibility with me. Even NPR gave Dumbya a free pass in the leadup to the 2000 presidential election because they're beholden to the crumbs Congress bestows upon them.