Into the Wild

dmuja

"Into the Wild"..

Ive known about Chris McCandless's story for years (vaguely in the back of my mind) and read the outside article a few times - not the book. I'll probably see the movie this weekend.

I don't think of Chris as "heroic", but I also don't think of him as inept or suicidal. The movie likely won't change much about my opinion of him or his actions.

In my early twenties (im 46), I experimented a bit with the wondering vagabond method of self discovery as did a lot of young men I new. Re-reading the story and planning to see the film has brought a little bit of that yearning (for lack of a better term) out from my past and I recognize "it" today as my desire to climb. IE, its the same thing I had then, just slightly more structured and technical. Although Im a dad, I guess I never completely grew up...yet.

So, Are you familiar with the story?

Read the Book?

Seen or plan to see the movie?

Do you see yourself in Chris/ he in you?

Are you now too jaded and "experienced" to be moved by someone elses (Chris's) innocence and passion?

Any deep thoughts about said topic?

...Maybe a "STFU NOOB?"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the book and I highly recommend it. The book is not just about McCandless. It features several other examples of "searcher" types. Krakauer saw a bit of his early self in McCandless and used his Devil's Thumb solo climb as an example.

I do think that there is a certain personality type that defines this sort of person. Perhaps someday they'll be able to even identify it in a PET scan. Who knows?

Basically, it's a type of fixed idea that becomes so strong that the details of the steps necessary to reach the goal become irrelevant. There is a blind faith. It's like a religious fervor but not focused on another personality or guru, but rather on an internal idea.

One of my favorite books for sure. I see a lot of his way of thinking in myself, but I don't see the need to be quite as cut off from general society as he was. I like to move around a lot and not be held down by my job and such, but I have found that a little money and something to come back to can really expand your options and make life easier. I can live pretty comfortably on enough money to pay the rent plus $150 or so for a month, or just the $150 if I'm not paying rent at the time. He very rarely worked and for the most part had no money.

Liked the writing and the stories within the story. but thought that Mccandless was another misguided soul. Reminds me, for some reason, of John Walker Lindh. Too much romanticism and not enough realism in one's ideology can be fatal.

Basically, it's a type of fixed idea that becomes so strong that the details of the steps necessary to reach the goal become irrelevant. There is a blind faith. It's like a religious fervor but not focused on another personality or guru, but rather on an internal idea.

Dat be deep (and accurate I think) CBS. Colin? Wayne? Erden? come to mind.

Dannible - your like still 20ish right? Yr like right there still.

Porter, the sound track is def kewl! Music makes or breaks any film if you ask me.

A last quick thought, maybe I won't harsh on noob Hood F/ups so much from now on.

Ok, it wasn't my last thought..

Back in my late teens early 20's, some friends of mine got air dropped into the Canadian Arctic for a long river journey. Among the highlights, they got charged by muskoxen (scary shit) and almost starved to death because there was no plane to pick them up - the chartered bush pilot had forgotten about them.

I read the book a long time ago, long enough that seeing the film was fresh and new. I walked out of the theater feeling really good. I like Sean Penn’s films, and I liked this one. I sort of wanted my family to see it, so they’d have half an inkling of why I cringe at the glass bubbles they live under and why I do some of the things I do that they consider reckless.

The film vs. the book gives two different treatments. Krackauer is skeptical, and he does question whether McCandless was naïve and reckless. He does recognize something in himself in himself, though, and paints a very human picture much like Caravagio did in paintings. Penn pretty much glorifies the Alexander Supertramp character as confident and self assured the whole way. Word was Leonardo was considered for the role. I’m glad he didn’t, but the effect was the same. Read the book.

Krakauer contrasts the trajectory of his own life with that of Mccandless. Krakauer corrected his, mccandless didn't so much so that it seemed like the boy had a death wish.

Reminds me also of Andrew Todhunter's Fall of the Phantom Lord, about Dan Osman.

I read the book and thought that he was a profoundly naive, narcissistic kid who was obsessed with his own righteousness, and the manner in which he treated his family was completely inexcusable.

True of most young people especially Ayn Rand acolytes,except possibly the family part.

I read the book and thought that he was a profoundly naive, narcissistic kid who was obsessed with his own righteousness, and the manner in which he treated his family was completely inexcusable.

narcissistic yes, But I don't agree with him being self "righteous" though if that was meant. On some level he had a deep belief I think, but if he thought he was "right" I don't think he would have put himself through such unpredictable challenges. He didn't know something about himself - there was a big doubt in there.

I think it might come down to having some of "it" is good and gets you to accomplish. Having too much is bad because it blinds you and will likely push you too far aka over the edge aka kill you. Whittaker? said once that "mountaineering requires drive, but if you have too much drive it will kill you." I guess I see that much in common with Chris.

I recently saw the movie and read the book many years ago and very much liked both of them. After reading the book, I didn't have a ton of sympathy for Chris McCandless. He had very romantic notions of what he wanted to do but that isn't an excuse for being woefully underprepared. He went into the Alaska backcountry without a map. Had he had one, he would have known there was a cable crossing for the river, not far from where he was. He also went into the backcountry expecting to hunt for his food having never hunted before and all he brought out with him was rice. There were other similar examples. Romanticism is great... but it is not an excuse for being unprepared. Krakauer saw a lot of himself in McCandless but when you read the stories of his Devil's Thumb experience and other climbs, he struck me as much more prepared for what he would face.

The movie didn't change my opinion in this regard. What it did do, however, was give me some more sympathy for the fear he must have experienced at the end as he was dying.

Interestingly, a friend of mine ran cross-country with him in high school. His response to the book was that as far back as high school, he was always coming up with crazy ideas of what he would do with his life. When he finally decided to act on it, he added, he was woefully unprepared.

I read the book, haven't seen the movie. But I agree with iluka on the overall take of the story.

I think it is probably more appealing the younger one is. I remember thinking that everyone who lived in the suburbs and worked in a cubicle had "false" values and were so blind. Ah, the arrogance of youth. It is hard to picture that having a home, a job, and a dog are really satisfying aspects of life when what you have instead is youth, ignorance, and energy.