Monogamy?

rob

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pets rarely master the art of whispering in your ear.!!

If so, you'd probably hear the same thing,

"Get your hands off me"

i never force the issue unless we do the handcuff-bedpost thingy.i met this girl who would play that no means yes thing all the time. some women demand it.

8 of 10 of my past love interests were married.

3 brothers wives,best friend's wife,boss's wife.2 wife's sisters. women go for what they need , when they want it.multitaskers.they all are still married.

in other words, the guy who claims to be so much above the animals and their base instincts w/r/t killing and war, wallows in the basest of animal drives w/r/t sex. :wave:

Do you think monogamy is a natural state of affairs for humans? I'm not so sure.

Has anybody here ever had an "open" relationship with someone? I know of a threesome (a woman and two men) that apparently are very happy.

Academically, I think monogamy is probably a cultural invention. But at the same time, it's hard to imagine it being any other way.

Food for thought.

Two parents a male and female is the best option for raising kids. If you do not like monogamy then I suggest you do not have children. Otherwise it is the best option of society and for raising kids. If Neither appeal to you, then don't get married.

Two parents a male and female is the best option for raising kids. If you do not like monogamy then I suggest you do not have children. Otherwise it is the best option of society and for raising kids.

I already am married (with children), and am quite happy in a monogamous relationship, as is my wife. However, we both know (and know of) several "couples" of three people. They seem happy and the children seem happy. It occurs to my wife and I that perhaps it is possible to love more than one person. Why not?

I also disagree with your comment that a male and female parent are the best option. I know two young children who are being raised by a lesbian couple. They are doing a great job, better than many male/female couples I know.

Why are three parents automatically bad, if everybody loves each other?

I thought it was an interesting thing to ponder. Don't you?

My neighbors are a lesbian couple who are raising their daughter. She is such a great girl that I hire her to watch my dog when I am out of town--IOW I trust her and she is dependable. Her parents are great-I get to go over there for BBQs and they bring me soup when I am sick. They seem like a normal family to me.

And I don't see three parents as bad. In our society of ever-changing family structures, people are going to continue to seek out what works best for them. More power to them.

As long as we keep insisting that people define their relationships in a strict format, people are going to keep being unhappy. When we support people along their own paths of discovery, we do them much greater service.

As long as we keep insisting that people define their relationships in a strict format, people are going to keep being unhappy.

That's how it seems to me, too. The few "non-standard" families I've come across struck me as very happy. I guess some people like chocolate, and some people like vanilla, and some people like chocolate AND vanilla?

As long as we keep insisting that people define their relationships in a strict format, people are going to keep being unhappy.

That's how it seems to me, too. The few "non-standard" families I've come across struck me as very happy. I guess some people like chocolate, and some people like vanilla, and some people like chocolate AND vanilla?

I don't see any problem saying what it best on average for kids growing up. The reality is very few families are average and deviate from the "ideal" in some way.

The ideal is parents who love they're kids, ideally love each other (or at least can be cordial), and keep the kids challenged and growing. Does it matter if it's 2 guys, 2 girls, or some other mixture?

I have a feeling Archie's neighbours daughter is probably better adjusted than a lot of kids from "traditional" families where the "parents" aren't happy.

Also, I think that people's capacity to love is nearly infinite.

However that must be balanced by our capacities for jealousy, selfishness, vindictiveness, pettiness, and general nastiness which also nearly infinite.

The ideal is parents who love they're kids, ideally love each other (or at least can be cordial), and keep the kids challenged and growing. Does it matter if it's 2 guys, 2 girls, or some other mixture?

yes, it does. nice PC try though.

kids need both a male and female role-model, so with same-sex parents, that missing role model needs to be filled somehow - ideally speaking that is.

yes, it does. nice PC try though.

kids need both a male and female role-model, so with same-sex parents, that missing role model needs to be filled somehow - ideally speaking that is.

male and female, or masculine and feminine? And why? Is it simply so that they have a frame of reference when interacting with the rest of us?

Conceptions of what a good Masculine roll model, and a good feminine roll model are vary so much from culture to culture, I wonder how much value they really have, except within that rather narrow group. When people lived and died within a few miles of where they were born, following the local social and familial norms may have been more necessary, but any more (especially in the US) we have the ability to create our own families and subcultures around us and can tune the people we associate with to our desires/beliefs. So I don't think that the traditional male/female has as much value as it used to.