What do you do for a living?

hefeweizen

I see tattoos as just one more version of the 'logoization' of the society. As the population explodes, I wonder if people in a more crowded, less personal society opt for billboard displays of individuality rather than relying on personality and behavior which they feel isn't going to get noticed anyway. Logos gain one easier entry into various logo clubs: the emo club, the hipster club, the clubber club. Furthermore, people have increasingly identified with their belongings. Logos on clothing, logos on cars, logos on body. I am what I own. In other words, I'm not quite good enough as is.

Just a thought.

No, no silly. It's to express their (collective) individualism. Passed a fat chick with the died black hair thing on a fixey the other day. She had a tattoo on the back of each ankle - an exploding firecracker on each, on the left it said "Cherry" on the right it said "Bomb". Oh, please.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see tattoos as just one more version of the 'logoization' of the society. As the population explodes, I wonder if people in a more crowded, less personal society opt for billboard displays of individuality rather than relying on personality and behavior which they feel isn't going to get noticed anyway. Logos gain one easier entry into various logo clubs: the emo club, the hipster club, the clubber club. Furthermore, people have increasingly identified with their belongings. Logos on clothing, logos on cars, logos on body. I am what I own. In other words, I'm not quite good enough as is.

Just a thought.

No, no silly. It's to express their (collective) individualism. Passed a fat chick with the died black hair thing on a fixey the other day. She had a tattoo on the back of each ankle - an exploding firecracker on each, on the left it said "Cherry" on the right it said "Bomb". Oh, please.

I think I ran into that one. Passed her while she was grinding up Dexter (whoohoo, passed the overweight emo on the fixie...Tour De France here I come! :rolleyes: ), only to be passed triumphantly and with no small measure of contempt ("Who's doing the passing now, buddy...") while coasting down to Fremont.

I'll guess the 'climber club' is accessed through appropriate advertising logos on the helmet and camper shell.

When possible, tattoos should not be visible and body piercing should be kept to a minimum. Nails must be clean and trimmed.

John do you think an employer should evaluate a prospective employee's tats when hiring?

Depends on the job function you are hiring them for. Obviously anything that is visible would have to adhere to any HR guidelines for sexual or explicit material... but beyond that I dont think it should matter.

I work for a rather large (understatement? :laf: ) global semiconductor company and we have no HR rules WRT visible tats beyond what I mentioned above... I'm asking as I'm unsure if I will work for them forever.

My g/f has many many visible tats and is the CFO of one of the largest realty companies in PDX... she deals with many many external clients/banks/etc and her CEO could care less if her tats are showing/that she has them because she is really really good at what she does...

I should add that for my job function I had to take some specific classes that dealt a little with dress among other things (customs, etc) for when I travel overseas. What was mentioned though wasnt specifically spelled out basically insured that unless one had tats on the hands/neck/etc that they would be covered as one is expected to dress formally. We are expected to adhere to those guidelines but I'm unaware of any specific repercussions.

When I started in the shipping dept, I got a half sleeve, the lower half of my leg done and stretched my ear lobes big enough to fit a Marb red through them. No problem considering my position, right? Totally appropriate.

When I switched to a cubicle job, out came the plugs, khakis and no more sleeveless T's. Nobody asked me to change the way I dress. I just realized that the stigma is still there in some corporate cultures and my development opportunities might be hindered by other's prejudice.

In the words of Dave Atell, tattoos are something that don't belong on your body, but you put it there to say something about yourself. Much like my rolls of fat, it doesn't belong there but I put it on my body to say something about me. "I don't like veggies"

But to get back on topic, I am a bean counter, part time student and a part time pet psychic.

He then took the full container, held it way over his head, and said “Energy is equal to the mass times the velocity squared”.

...and all this time I thought it was 1/2mv squared...

I hope anybody that wants an equation as a tattoo pulls out a decent mathematics text book to double check their work. It's a lot easier to tattoo paper if you use a pencil and eraser as the tattoo marking tool.

How about this one:

tat.jpg

He then took the full container, held it way over his head, and said “Energy is equal to the mass times the velocity squared”.

...and all this time I thought it was 1/2mv squared...

I hope anybody that wants an equation as a tattoo pulls out a decent mathematics text book to double check their work. It's a lot easier to tattoo paper if you use a pencil and eraser as the tattoo marking tool.

How about this one:

tat.jpg

I get it! That's her circumference...in meters! Ladies, those tats you acquired ain't gonna looks so hot when the small of your back is no longer the small of your back.

My wife's parents had an employee with a tongue stud working retail. They soon realized that nobody could understand her since she always sounded as if she were choking on something. They then required her to remove it during work hours. She liked her job and complied.

Well I don't know what she looks like, but you can learn something from the tattoo. Pi is an irrational number, so that may confirm what you already suspect.

She could really confuse people if she wrote it in binary

or hexadecimal

3.243F6A8885A308D31319........

I am always amazed that men assume we women will give a shit what you think when we are older. Believe it or not, as women mature into full-membership individuals, we tend to care less and less what you men think about our appearance. So a tat gets blurry just as the rest of our edges get blurry--so what? If you can't find something better than that to measure a person's beauty by, then I honestly feel sorry for you.