What do you do for a living?

hefeweizen

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PhD candidate physics :nurd:

I was training by climbing Mt Si with 2 x 2.5 gallon of water.

I would cut open the container so they could drain.

I went with a PhD candidate in Physics.

As the first container was draining he asked me if I needed the second container.

I said no.

So he said here allow me to apply physics to your method of empting these water containers.

I said sure, and how?

He then took the full container, held it way over his head, and said “Energy is equal to the mass times the velocity squared”. Then he slammed the container against a rock; the plastic split open and all of the water was gone in a second.

The container I had cut open was still draining.

Physics is cool.

Edited by sirwoofalot

Like gansta wear and so many other 'caution: danger ahead' fashion statements, tattoos have long since left counterculture for looking the part in the post modern mainstream habit of looking the part. With so many emo types sporting Russian prison tats, bankers with biker tats, and kindergarten teachers with smiley faces stamped on their asses (for real), it's hard to see most tattoos as anything more than a body art version of a Hard Rock Cafe. I've only seen one guy with ink that even approaches unique: a friend of mine sports physics equations on his arms.

Do people even show each other their tattoos when they first start dating anymore? It seems like that would be like "hey, wanna see my arms? I've got two of em" these days.

I can't help thinking that, 30 years from now, we'll be a nation of faded, frowning skulls, mer-manatees, and supernovaed stars.

I can't help thinking that, 30 years from now, we'll be a nation of faded, frowning skulls, mer-manatees, and supernovaed stars.

It already is. I remember someone saying that a 15-year or so old girl was on Alki Beach last summer, saying of women in their 30's & 40's "I can't believe how many of these old skanks have tattoos!"

About 25% of Americans under 50 have tattoos, 40% of Americans under 40. (2006 numbers.)

An article in U.S. News & World Report ranked tattooing as the sixth fastest growing retail business of the 1990's, right behind the internet, paging services, bagels, computers, and cellular phone services. I'm just wondering what the next fad will be, and if or for how long tattooing will remain popular, and if it doesn't, well, goodbye to the jobs for the folks in the 20,000+ tattoo parlors in America right now.

Not a criticism of tattooing, mind you. Just that it's been REAL popular in the U.S. for the last 20 years or so.

I see tattoos as just one more version of the 'logoization' of the society. As the population explodes, I wonder if people in a more crowded, less personal society opt for billboard displays of individuality rather than relying on personality and behavior which they feel isn't going to get noticed anyway. Logos gain one easier entry into various logo clubs: the emo club, the hipster club, the clubber club. Furthermore, people have increasingly identified with their belongings. Logos on clothing, logos on cars, logos on body. I am what I own. In other words, I'm not quite good enough as is.

Just a thought.

He then took the full container, held it way over his head, and said “Energy is equal to the mass times the velocity squared”.

...and all this time I thought it was 1/2mv squared...

I hope anybody that wants an equation as a tattoo pulls out a decent mathematics text book to double check their work. It's a lot easier to tattoo paper if you use a pencil and eraser as the tattoo marking tool.

sounds like you have a tattoo. let me guess: it's a skull, empty of course.

sorry, I fell asleep.

lemme guess your tattoo - a rapier?

no tats. doesn't mean i haven't had moments of wanting one. would have been a home job, but i came to the conclusion that the motivations underlying the desire were pretty much what booby guy wrote above.

no tats. doesn't mean i haven't had moments of wanting one. would have been a home job, but i came to the conclusion that the motivations underlying the desire were pretty much what booby guy wrote above.

thats the whole appeal, IMHO. they are barbaric logos, full stop

almost got one in Indonesia but realized that was just asking for it....