Trango Flex Cams

Winter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of the new Trango's and I don't really like them. I've got 1,7,9 (smallest and largest, and then one in the middle) I hate the opposing lobe design of the smallest one - gunk is always getting in there and clogging it up, and the springs are quite weak - it doesn't have that nice resistance when you pull the trigger. The largest one is on the same diameter cable/stem as the smaller sizes, but it feels very "floppy" on the 9. It also has weak springs. That said, I like the #7, it's nice.

thx for the input - sounds like i should go with something else. maybe the c3s. trog, thx for the offer, but i'm gonna pass.

I've seen good reviews on WC zeroes, although I dumped mine after the first outing....too short to get to trigger in deep cracks on the smaller ones - I think they fixed it the next year with "long stem" version. Also rumors of single stem metolius coming out.

I have a couple of the larger flex cams, and they definitely feel a little floppier than other cams. However, I like them because they feel like they are about 1/2 the weight of the equivalent (older style) camalots on my rack. Not to mention cheaper. I haven't had a problem with them walking, though it's something I watch for.

A partner has a couple of the smaller flex cams, and I agree with the comments above-- they're not my favorite piece.

Yes the range is kinda poor on these guys and they do feel a bit soft. I have some that I use in the middle size range as you can buy two for the price of a BD. A good way to go for doubling up on size for a long hand crack. In the smaller sizes (alien sized) the Flex Cams are useless. I like C3s.

The direct offset lobe design of the 4 smaller Flexcams is licenced from Splitter. The idea is that you can hang off one lobe pair when placing in shallow pockets or pin scars (if you're into that kind of thing). Apparently Trango is going to "split" off the Splitter cams into their own category and have regular Flexcams down through the smaller sizes. Flexcams are certainly not the top cams on the market, but the point is that they are light and inexpensive - a good starter set or supplement to your existing rack.

Alright, I'm not picky as long as the gear works but I actually like the flexcams, especially considering the price! The smaller sizes (#1-4) are almost exclusively what I use in that range. I have a couple C3s but I only use them for narrow placements: the four cams of the flexcams make me a little happier.

In the hand-size range, they supplement camelots well since their range seems to fall right in between camelot sizes. So if you find a placement where a red camelot is slightly small and the gold is too big, the yellow flexcam will fit perfectly.

If you're looking for price point cam's go check out DMM 4Cu's. Love mine, quite durable no overly expensive, and reasonably light. For smaller size

Zero's get a :tup: in the small sizes (blue, yellow, gray) (I like the flexible stem, and extendable sling)

and

Metolius TCU's in the larger finger size (Blue through Red), gawd I love their action! :grin: nice and snappy.