[TR] Riglos, Spain - Various 8/22/2007

Trip: Riglos, Spain - Various

Date: 8/22/2007

Trip Report:

IMG_3064.JPG

Riglos Spain....sorta sport climbing......kinda bolted.....sorta ran out......sorta crappy conglomerate.....really overhanging......sorta one of the most classic series of walls in Spain and fairly terrifying!

IMG_3044.JPG El Pison - One of the main bigger walls to climb in Riglos.

So this summer the boss and I decided to stay in Spain and explore the Pyrennes for our European (6 week) he...he...he. vacation. Anyways, after spending about 4 weeks in the mountains, we got rained and snowed out and had to drop down to the foothills to escape. Normally you don't climb in Riglos during the summer. It's only a fall and spring destination. But the temps dropped enough that we were able to squek out a couple days of climbing.

IMG_3049.JPG The boss on Espolon Ademelo. An easy "classic" that we managed to get up.

IMG_3047.JPG Climbers pulling hard on a shourt route. The thing about Riglos is that it is super steep. Some route are almost impossible to retreat because it's too steep. Another thing, unlike Montserrat, which is conglomerate as well, the rock at Riglos is OK. So you might ask the question why climb there? Well, after the terrifying part passes, it's pretty fun.

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

Most routes are sparsely bolted. In reality, this type of rock is really hard to protect. Where there are cracks, the rock is bad. Thats why most routes are totally bolted. I say bolted in a very conservative way. The bolts, where you can find them, are fairly spased apart and most routes here at least have pitches of 10+. And they are super overhanging. At Riglos I aided 10- and 10+, while a week early I was onsighting at about a billion times harder. Thank god the hard parts are fairly well bolted. Due to the crappy rock, you often see people take wingers!

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

It's really a great place to climb. The actual town is right below the walls so you could almost toss a rock into the bar....and order a strong drink while on route.

IMG_3052.JPG

Typical house at the base of the routes, or at least about 5 minutes away. I guess the person in this house had had enough. Look closely to see if you can find the Spanish flag of surrender!

Gear Notes:

rope, rack, balls and some draws

Approach Notes:

5 minutes from the bar seat to the start of the routes.

Edited by TimL

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic