[TR] China Bend - Several 10/13/2007

Marty

Trip: China Bend - Several

Date: 10/13/2007

Trip Report:

Team Spokane, and Team Gay met at 8AM at team Gay headquarters (My house. And no, we're not really gay, that's just what Team Green (They enjoy the wacky tabaccky) calls us so don't go trying to sign us up for gay chatlines and stuff. Keep your rainbow flags and pink triangles to yourself. If I catch you trying to pinch my butt at Smith Rocks next time I see you there will be a war, Okay?). Team Pullman was already at the cliff. They spent the night after bouldering at Liberty Park on Friday. They were very motivated.

After our alpine start, and grocery store stops we got to the crag at about 11AM. Why so late? Well picking the proper selection of energy drinks and crag goodies takes time. Also the Kettle River bridge is out and now it takes a little longer drive to the cliff.

A typical start of the day, Team Spokane member John Keene warming up on Pork Sausage, 11b. Everybody loves Pork in the morning

psausage.jpg

Team Gay member Marty Bland hasn't been climbing lately but did step up and warm up on A River Runs Through it, 11c. If you study the photo, you will notice an absolute lack of any muscle definition what so ever. Very sad conditioning.

portly.jpg

Even more disturbing perhaps, is the attentiveness of his fellow team member and belayer in this photo. superbelay.jpg

At any rate the day progressed and got a bit cloudy, which was good for sending. Team Gay member Bryan starting up his current project, Evil Betty, 13a

evilb2.jpg

He was not a success on this trip and will return to face this enduro, pumpfest in the future, where he will likely crush this monstrosity of a route.

Mike Boccino, of Team Pullman was succesful. Here he is sending Game Warden, 12dgamewarden.jpg

Perhaps the highlight of the day was Team Spokane's Johnny Goicoccea,(sp but I can't ever even hope to spell that guys name anyway) and his near ascent of the Overoptimistic Local 14a. He'd been working it and this was the day to send, especially when the clouds rolled in and cooled the temps. He started the route, made it through the crux, but on the easy terrain at the chains, he broke a hold and was off. Couple photo's:

The crux set up:setup2.jpg

And the crux sloper stick. You know its a bad hold when you can see the top of it and you're standing on the ground.thestick.jpg

At any rate, there was some sun, great sports action, and sore shoulders at the end of the day. It doesn't get any better.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lworth to wenatchee, E on 2 until hwy 25 N (reardon? davenport?), 25N to 395 at kettle falls, can't see how that could take much more than 4 hours. unless the alternate route because of the kettle river bridge is that much longer. barstow bridge and up over the hill?

Spotly, there are some 10's and the 11's are well bolted, endurance (no hard moves just big holds and pumpy) routes that even if you don't send, they are fun to climb on. It aint like minne, you can actually fall without hitting the ground.

Drater I am a part time kiter these days. Kiting does jack for your fitness. Especially the after kite beer drinking.

Liberty Park: Well its all chipped so if you dont like it don't come: Here's my miniguide:

libpark.jpg

1. Home of the Homeless V5

2. Pipe Hittin' Niggaz V8

3. Walk the Earth V9

4. Cant remember v9

5. The Naturalist v7

6. Carrie v6

Best bouldering in spokane.

andyf, i've got a friend that just relocated back to the laurier area, not a climber but has some geologic awareness, put him on the search for big granite boulderfields and boldering sized limestone roofs.

early returns are promising, i'm hoping to go check them firsthand before the snows fall.