6000+ Expedition Backpack Advice

greeneggs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can't fit into the gregory denali, you sure as hell don't need it! very comfy pack - heavy, but then that's hard to avoid when you're going for a big load anyway - though i used it for a month on denali w/ all smiles, i get far more use out of mine now humping the 80 lbs of supplies it takes to keep my family alive every week along the 4 mile loop to safeway :)

For heavy loads, I think the McHale carries it all better than anything else. They are heavy, but I wouldn't worry about an extra pound or two in pack weight when you are planning on carrying monster loads. The waist belt and shoulder straps on his packs are the most comfortable I've ever used - though they don't look like space age technology with rippled foam that self ventilates and matches the color scheme on your x-treme approach mobile.

I have a McHale monster that I have never used because it is just plain too big, but if fits I'd sell it for cheap (he charges a lot for the damn things). I'm 5'10, average torso length.

My climbing partner got a McHale's Super-Critical Mass pack this spring and I got a Denali. He's about 5-9 and I'm 6-5.

We are both pretty happy, but if you've got the $$$ (actually $$$$$+) I'd go with Dan McHale every time.

Everything was custom fit, choice of every option on the pack (strap size and location, pocket choices, material, etc.), and his "patented-all-purpose-pack-shrinker" turns a 7000+ pack into around 4500 in < 60 seconds.

The pack I have is what he now calls the Super-Critical Mass II.

It has the bayonet feature, which means you can add or remove the frame extensions that tower over your head, it has the bypass shoulder straps, and it is extra huge. It doesn't have a bunch of weird straps all over it, the sleeping bag compartment is huge, and you won't blow the zippers on one of Mr. McHale's packs.

I have had two other of his packs and I've liked them. The pack I currently use for 2-5 day trips is a McHale.

Regarding the Denali Pro, I've read many reviews indicating there is too many straps, the sleeping bag compartment is too small and the zippers can fail. Not sure if these issues have addressed with the '07/'08 models.

used mine for many years, including long exepedition and never had a problem - carries weight as well as having 100 lbs on your back can - don't see how the zippers could fail, as they're beefy as shit

they are not, however, fireproof - i incinerated my first one in the great fire of y2k - all that remained of it were the twisted internal frame rods and some scorched biners :)

Cilogear is a safebet for going light and enviro-friendly, but Dana Design classics AstralPlane line is the best. Plus you can still buy them from brand new with tags to used condition on eBay for anywhere between $60 to $200. Those packs will outlive you and the ride the really big loads comfortably.

I have a short-medium torso and found Lowe Alpine to be by far the best designer for people like me who carry big packs. Their classic stuff also last long as well (I roll with some with frequent hikers that still have old school Lowe packs from the 70s...so that lets you know).

I have bad experiences with Osprey and The North Face pack to recommend them.