NEW ICE CLIMBING AREA DISCOVERED!!!

marcus

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, not likely to fly here but they haven’t yet lost a sense of personal responsibility in NZ. They also realize that accidents are part of life and not always someone’s fault. I spent five months there about 10 years ago (unfortunately before I climbed). I stopped right where this thing is and took a guided ‘glacier walk’. They handed out super old hobnail boots and some big dude with an long old school wood axe chopped small but adequate steps up and down the glacier for us. It was all beautiful, sculpted blue ice with lots of running water and tons of small slots and huge gapers everywhere we were walking. There wasn’t much( or anything that I remember) in the way of a safety lecture. They just assumed people were smart enough not to fall in the crevasses. Being relatively new to international travel at the time I remember being amazed that they were allowed to do a ‘tour’ like that. I was comfortable but was thinking the entire time how easy it would be for a bad, bad accident to happen given all the gumbies and pretty sketchy terrain. It was refreshing to see something run so differently. I asked some locals about that and they gave me the impression that in NZ you can’t sue for monetary damages when accidents happen.

Hey there people

Glad you like the site!

We have just been open a few months but the centre is rocking! We have made climbs that are suited to everybody. 7yrs - 70yrs old have been on the wall. We have super easy walls like "Skid Mark" and spit you off climbs like "Jim Beam" check out the route map below.

The climbing is awesome and the whole area is definatly worth a visit if you in NZ

route map

http://www.hukawai.co.nz/PicsHotel/hukawaiglacier/Brochure/climb%20guide%20small%20file.pdf

photos

http://www.hukawai.co.nz/Hukawai_Glacier_Centre/PHOTOS_IDL=250_IDT=1994_ID=8534_.html

Actually, a place like that did fly for a while, right here in the U.S. Cascade Crags, now the Everett Vertical world, had an indoor ice wall. They had a few routes, from a simple 90-degree solid wall to a bunch of overhanging, difficult mixed routes. unfortunatly, when Vertical World bought Cascade Crags, they tore down the ice wall and put up more rock routes. Its a shame, but, as wfinley implied, they were probably worried about liability, even though Cascade Crags had it up for years. oh well.

So stoked...check it out: SWEET!!!

...sickness...omigawd...can't wait...

....omigawd...sweet. Sick...and sweet.

Dang.

NOTE: THE ORIGINATING POST TO THIS THREAD WAS WAS STEEPED IN A THIN VEIL OF SARCASM(HENCE THE 'SPRAY' FORUM HEADING) AND THUS ANY POSTS EXPRESSING GENUINE INTEREST OR GENERATING CONSTRUCTIVE DIALOGUE MUST BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY!

I feel sick now...(and sweet)...I think all those caps got me kinda pumped.