What did you do at ropeup?

rob

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- castle rock on friday - bone, damnation, old grey mare and crack of doom

- remorse/iconoclast/hyperspace epic on saturday - a fun route to be finishing by headlamp for sure

- careno crags on sunday but the wasps were fawking insane! bk route and then the long drive home

I led 5 pitches. They were all 5.7 trad pitches. In the bigger picture that would be very small potatoes compared to what I've done in the past.

Since my accident last year I've been very cautious about climbing. When I got back to gym climbing and following longer pitches on sport routes that was a big deal, but my goal has always been to get back to where I was before then get even better. A couple weeks ago I led some sport climb pitches but that's not good enough. (sorry sporto)

Now I'm leading real climbs, and I even followed Jeff H on a 5.9 off width.

:moondance::moondance::moondance:

And a NA :brew:

Rope Up rules. :tup:

I did some really easy stuff in the canyon and even easier stuff on Castle Rock. Midway for the first time.

It was good to get out again after a long two years of tendon issues. That IPA really loosens up the joints.

Met a few cc.commers for the first time, Sherri and Kelly (Come out of the loft Kelly), Eric, Steve, and all those blurry people around the fire.

Thanks Porter, Ketch, and the wood bringers.

Midway for the first time.

It was this guy's first multi-pitch, Saturday afternoon.

Midway2.jpg

At the belay below this pitch he remarked: "this is getting kinda high up." Here, with the climbing easing up and the top in sight, I told him to stop and look around. He said "yeah, I know - it is kinda cool."

Here's another shot, 20 feet lower down on that same last pitch:

Ropeup_H.jpg

Blake, Allison, Lisa, Brendan and I we went to Ozone Saturday. It's fun not knowing grades or beta - you just see a line and start up it. We had sun all day and great views of Stuart dusted in snow. There were wasps everywhere, but they were pretty mellow and never stung anyone. We did skip one route with a large wasp nest in a key flake. A highlight was leading an orange slab/arete route with great views just as the sun's last rays swept up the wall. Blake and Allison may have some pics. Thanks for a great day guys!

On Sunday Michael, Luke, Allison, and Lisa and I went up to the Sam's hill area. We did Ski Track cracks, Oprah's navel, a 165ft 5.10 slab/overlap left of ON (Up zone?), a 5.6 flake route, and a 5.9 crack/face to the right. All were fun. A few of those could use chains instead of rap rings + faded slings in a death triangle. A shorter day, due to late start and early departure, but still fun.

I did jump in Icicle creek before we left. Come on in guys, it's not c-c-c-cold!

Yeah, it was great to meet people and enjoy the sunny weather! Ozone is worth visiting, and really fun to just climb and not worry about the ratings. Allison and I each had some fun leads, including Don't Forget Arete (5.9), near Sam's hill.

Thanks for rescuing the cam, Rad! ;)

I used to climb in Leavenworth quite a bit but only visited Castle Rock twice because it is right on Highway 2.

I found it to be excellent rock well worth playing on in spite of the noise. Be sure you have your signals worked out with your belayer. There were times when voice communications were not adequate. This would get worse with more parties on the rock. When we left there were six other parties starting routes.

Had fun leading all of R&D on Saturday under perfect skies. After the incident on the NF of Concord earlier this year, it was a little odd to be on something with this much exposure again...

Drank a bunch of beer and enjoyed the "sausage fest".

Great meeting all y'all.

Kudos to those that took newer folks up Midway. They'll be hooked for life.

Many of my old college roomates have Midway photos on their office desks or walls after all these years.

-------

The beer was great.

-------------

Rattlesnake Rock and piton tower were fun with some routes that are new this year.

We just got home tonight...wanted to squeeze one more gorgeous day out of this fleeting fall season.

Awesome weekend! It was great to meet some of the fine folks of cc.com and put some names to faces...shout out to Bug, Zonk, Ericb, Blake, Rad, Mythosgirl, Feck, Porter, MattP, Kurt Hicks... :wave:

Also got in some good climbing. Took Kelly up her first Icicle multi's(Saber and R&D) and finally got a clean lead on Classic. (woot!)

Another highlight was discovering a new restaurant in town: Dragonfly Bistro and Martini Lounge in the basement of the Bavarian Ritz hotel. Very hip place for der town. Urban, funky atmostphere with sushi bar, asian fusion menu, saki, and a dance floor. We got the sea-salt encrusted edamame, soba chili noodles and a light lime-infused curry. Yumm-o!

It was cool to finally put faces to some of the names I see on this site. Your all much better looking than I had pictured. Thank you Blake, Allison, Lisa, and Rad for the fun climbing, and for the patience (Blake) while I flailed about on Midnight Rock. Good Times, be back next year.

-Brandon

Blake, Allison, Lisa, Brendan and I we went to Ozone Saturday. It's fun not knowing grades or beta - you just see a line and start up it. We had sun all day and great views of Stuart dusted in snow. There were wasps everywhere, but they were pretty mellow and never stung anyone. We did skip one route with a large wasp nest in a key flake. A highlight was leading an orange slab/arete route with great views just as the sun's last rays swept up the wall. Blake and Allison may have some pics. Thanks for a great day guys!

On Sunday Michael, Luke, Allison, and Lisa and I went up to the Sam's hill area. We did Ski Track cracks, Oprah's navel, a 165ft 5.10 slab/overlap left of ON (Up zone?), a 5.6 flake route, and a 5.9 crack/face to the right. All were fun. A few of those could use chains instead of rap rings + faded slings in a death triangle. A shorter day, due to late start and early departure, but still fun.

Here are some pics...

117.jpg

Blake was batting the wasps away with a stick. Eventually he put the stick in his mouth and would get them out of the crack that way.

46.jpg

Lisa_D on a climb at the Ozone wall

212.jpg

Rad leading a climb at Ozone Wall

55.jpg

Lisa on Ski track Cracks

65.jpg

Me leading Sam and Cams

I did some really easy stuff in the canyon and even easier stuff on Castle Rock. Midway for the first time.

It was good to get out again after a long two years of tendon issues. That IPA really loosens up the joints.

Met a few cc.commers for the first time, Sherri and Kelly (Come out of the loft Kelly), Eric, Steve, and all those blurry people around the fire.

OK already...I'm out of the loft. Great to meet you, Steve, Zonk, Porter and Eric B (I think he jinxed me telling of his ankle injury...added a bit of a twist to mine walking down the trail from Sabre...go figure! Hope to see ya out on the rocks.

OK already...I'm out of the loft. Great to meet you, Steve, Zonk, Porter and Eric B (I think he jinxed me telling of his ankle injury...added a bit of a twist to mine walking down the trail from Sabre...go figure! Hope to see ya out on the rocks.