Gore - Nobel

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reagan was a hell of a lot more deserving than Gore, and the absence of his name from the roster tells you more about the ideological precommitments of the folks in Stockholm than it does about the actual merits of the nominees.

Reagan did so much direct work for the abolition or reduction of standing armies :lmao:

But then the people in Stockholm don't matter since it's the Norwegians who decide the Peace Prize :lmao:

Reagan did more to prove the efficacy of terrorism in the mid east since the Stern Gang blew up the King David Hotel. Begining with selling out to the Iranians for the November surprise followed up with missiles so he could fund the contras. He then withdrew from Lebanon after a terrorist act, what a putz.

(from Wikipedia)

Nobel. According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Gore did none of that. Lame. :tdown:

Wikipedia is not a credible source…..you should know that.

Tony Blair?

The "people of Iraq"?

:lmao:

Nice list, dude.

Nice cherry-picking, "dude".

And yes, the people of Iraq are tolerating an intolerable situation, and trying to make peace where there is none. They aren't living in a 9 billion square foot mansion, and flying private jets all around the world, preaching a message they don't live up to (that has nothing to do with "peace").

There is prize money? The rich get richer…..

I believe there usually is; I imagine Gore will make a big announcement about donating the money to some group.

Other winners got money, but perhaps I'm mistaken about winning the peace prize.

Gore already gave away his winnings, IIRC.

His strategic initiatives put him in a more effective position to negotiate in a manner that effectively ended both the Cold War and, as you suggest, accelerate the end of the Soviet Union. There are some renegade historians who haven suggested that the coincident occurrence was non-random. Playing a decisive roll in bringing a 40 year old conflict in which the end of civilization via hostile exchange of ICBM's was a possibility that serious people had to contemplate, and which had spawned open conflict in a series of proxy wars might be considered consistent with advancing peace in some circles.

I'm curious what is a "renegade" historian. The amount of debt incurred by the US during his presidency was equivlant to the preceding 204 yrs. Supposedly our policy was to out spend the Soviets and push them into economic collapse. Were reagans policies the catalyst for their collapse or was it their chronically corrupt and inefficent economic system. That new debt trend line that was started and has continued until this day is one of the major reasons for the current frailty of the US dollar.

I was being sarcastic about "renegade" historians inferring a connection between the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

While ever-deepening poverty and worsening repression are inevitable under communism, and collapse is predictable - the date at which it occurs is not. Was the collapse destined to happen in the late 80's irrespective of what the West did? I think that's a difficult point to argue.