MADE IN CHINA! BD Cams

canadug

First off, it is important to understand that our manufacturing of goods, specifically pro, is being done in OUR factory in China. This is not an outsourced vendor operation. This is a Black Diamond built, owned, and managed facility that is operated and staffed by Black Diamond employees.

Are the BD employee's american? Because if you hire out as a sweet shop and call them BD EE's, you would be blowing sun shine right up our ass's.....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sure BD employees from Salt Lake are lining up and saying, "Please, pretty please send me to a country that is an environmental nightmare and shows even more disregard for human life than the Bush regime." Can only imagine the quality of BD employees that would actually choose that serious hell-hole over the low grade one of America.

Your assumption here is wrong. I happen to be friends with the lead person that BD sent over to set up the factory in China. He worked for BD and lived in SLC ever since graduating (we went to college together). After completing the factory set up, he decided that rather than come back to the US, he'd stay in China. He had to quit BD to do it--even though he loved that company. He is a top notch engineer and an awesome manager (as well as a great person). So take your assumptions about people, their motivations, and their abilities and shove them up your ass.

I am so sure BD employees from Salt Lake are lining up and saying, "Please, pretty please send me to a country that is an environmental nightmare and shows even more disregard for human life than the Bush regime." Can only imagine the quality of BD employees that would actually choose that serious hell-hole over the low grade one of America.

Your assumption here is wrong. I happen to be friends with the lead person that BD sent over to set up the factory in China. He worked for BD and lived in SLC ever since graduating (we went to college together). After completing the factory set up, he decided that rather than come back to the US, he'd stay in China. He had to quit BD to do it--even though he loved that company. He is a top notch engineer and an awesome manager (as well as a great person). So take your assumptions about people, their motivations, and their abilities and shove them up your ass.

The only assumption that he got wrong is that he thinks china has less disregard for its people than our Bush puppet does……Nobody has less disregard for its people than Bush does……

Only a drudge minimum-wage worker could say something like that.

1. The further from supervision (headquarters), the higher quality the employee. Management cannot afford to send below-average workers and managers far from their oversight. On the contrary, only the highest-caliber people would be considered for remote postings because only that class of employee has the combination of good judgment, long-term vision, and problem-solving ability to adequately protect the employer’s interests.

2. Believe it or not, there are people in the world who are unlike you: they are ambitious, driven, excited at being challenged with new problems to solve, new conditions to work within, and *opportunities* to succeed and create new successes. They have a wide vision about what is possible and they see the glass as perpetually half full. These sorts of people jump at the chance to re-locate to distant places and challenging conditions. They do so in order to prove their superior worth and ability.

The only assumption that he got wrong is that he thinks china has less disregard for its people than our Bush puppet does……Nobody has less disregard for its people than Bush does……

BULLSHIT!

You're and idiot.

You forgot about Dick Cheney.

Thats really cool that BD replies to inquires such as on this website and I have to say that gains my respect that they put the facts out in the opinion for their consumers to know.

It'd be cool if they could have someone produce a coherent statement with coherent reasoning. If having BD cams and protection made in the USA was good, as their ad copy stated, why is China better? As it stands now that flag waving bit looks more than a tad cynical given the size and scope of the rampup in their Chinese operations, as does the made in SLC by real climbers/skiers/bros crap.

Fair enough. Thats just what my boss told me when I was peddlin wares. I don't know too much of the ol climbing gossip. Scott said that Yvon was kinda worn out. I think did hear something about the lawsuit, whatever. I use BD cams I like them. Made the mistake of looking for some canadian beta, and a partner for tomarrow. Saw another gear post about cams I use (I rack Camalots and aliens, had a rough year). Glad to see none failed and I'm tired of hearing all hatin. I'll shut up. Rag away guys. Have a good winter, be safe.

Don't shut up.

We love a willing victim.

Feel the love.

Only a drudge minimum-wage worker could say something like that.

1. The further from supervision (headquarters), the higher quality the employee. Management cannot afford to send below-average workers and managers far from their oversight. On the contrary, only the highest-caliber people would be considered for remote postings because only that class of employee has the combination of good judgment, long-term vision, and problem-solving ability to adequately protect the employer’s interests.

2. Believe it or not, there are people in the world who are unlike you: they are ambitious, driven, excited at being challenged with new problems to solve, new conditions to work within, and *opportunities* to succeed and create new successes. They have a wide vision about what is possible and they see the glass as perpetually half full. These sorts of people jump at the chance to re-locate to distant places and challenging conditions. They do so in order to prove their superior worth and ability.

That's stated a lot better than what I wrote. Thank you for a more coherent post--well said!

Thats really cool that BD replies to inquires such as on this website and I have to say that gains my respect that they put the facts out in the opinion for their consumers to know.

It used to be that a number of BDEL employees frequented the climbing boards offering route info, equipment beta and testing. Chris Harmston used to be a prolific poster on rec.climbing and would pretty much pull-test anything you sent him--a lot of his research is still available. Now the only time you get an employee-owner from BDEL speaking up is when someone slags their product and then its only to do a marketing pitch.

In the vein of posting industry folks, look at Sterling, Trango, Mammut, Petzl and FeatheredFriends. (besides the obvious ;) )

BD has a policy of not replying to people on the forums. IMHO, they really need to think about that. I think it was amazing having Chris Harmston posting, he's one of opinions I really missed reading...

I only use cams I make myself.

Please do not describe your supply chain.

A few years ago I bought an impulse item: a couple little fake christmas trees lit with fiber optics. They could be battery powered but I also bought the optional plug-in power adapter. Just by accident I happened to notice in the cheapo-thin paper instructions with almost-too-faint-to-read printing the warning to wash hands after touching. Apparently there was lead somewhere in the whiteness of the insulation. I just tossed the whole thing out.

I also have qualms buying fruit and vegetables grown in far-away places where the long-term effects on my health from pesticide residues or whatnot might be low on the list of priorities.

However, money and jobs going from richer countries to poorer countries is perhaps overdue correction of imbalance and self-limiting unless an alternative to oil turns up.

And I have no qualms about buying Black Diamond gear wherever made.

Part of my peace of mind is likely the gift of ignorance. George Bush has shown you the future - in the time you waste trying to weigh all the variables the vacant-minded have done a lot of stuff and there wasn't a clear answer, anyway. Thank you, globalization.

I know companies are outsourcing their manufacturing to awesome places like Burma and China and Vietnam on account of those little kids working 15 hours a day in the sweat shops have the coveted "combination of good judgment, long-term vision, and problem-solving ability to adequately protect the employer’s interests"

Silly me, I thought it was a cost cutting measure . . .

I only use cams I make myself.

Please do not describe your supply chain.

I make them from Chinese scrap metal.

Side Note: I have a friend who works for Cargill. They mix grains that come in pallet-sized cardboard boxes and giant polyethylene bags. Because Cargill is a green company, just ask them, they recycle the cardboard and bags. Where does it end up? They sell it to China, where it is burned to make electricity.

Have a nice day...

I know companies are outsourcing their manufacturing to awesome places like Burma and China and Vietnam on account of those little kids working 15 hours a day in the sweat shops have the coveted "combination of good judgment, long-term vision, and problem-solving ability to adequately protect the employer’s interests"

Silly me, I thought it was a cost cutting measure . . .

I was responding to a post stating that the *Americans* who would work in China are, in essence, losers. You are mixing apples and oranges to apply my post to the local workers. I have experience with Americans employed by American firms who are sent abroad but I have no experience with local workforces.

I have no experience with local workforces.

Since the cams are being made by locals, supervised by locals and maybe 1-10 actual factual 'mericuns are involved, is it fair to say you don't know shit? :wazup:

and yeah, if they are good enough to manage and setup a factory overseas they'd be a loser to stick with BD......

The poster wrote "I am so sure BD employees from Salt Lake are lining up and saying, "Please, pretty please send me to a country that is an environmental nightmare and shows even more disregard for human life than the Bush regime." Can only imagine the quality of BD employees that would actually choose that serious hell-hole over the low grade one of America."

I repeat that my post was responding to this one: about Americans, not locals.