KIDS/PARENTS -- this is a trial

RuMR

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealth C4 rubber Size 39 or 6 1/2. Used 1 day. Still has the writing on the sole as new. Also have a kids full body harness that also needs a good home for a great kid. Email me at Allen(at)livinginswflorida(dot)com or call 239-989-1106.

• 3 months later...

5-10 Aslum(sp) with Stealth C4 rubber Size 39 or 6 1/2. Used 1 day. Still has the writing on the soles as new. Needs a good home for a great kid. Hate to throw out. Email me at Allen(at)livinginswflorida(dot)com or call 239-989-1106.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

do you have anything in a size large/extra large (kids) for free in name brands or sleeping bags adult sized or any arcteryx backpacks or clothes also size 40 climbing shoes nice email at jimmyjames1998@yahoo.com for replys

i can also pay but free is awsome and it would need to be able to be shipped to northeast ohio

thank you

• 7 months later...

CAMP Easy Full Body Harness $20. Bought it in fall of 2009. I am a serious climber, but due to some medical conditions, I was not able to climb for my entire pregnancy. So the harness is very lightly used. Not the most comfortable harness, and the one gear loop is annoying, but they do the job. I have done hanging belays and multiple pitch raps in them. Retails for about 50. I live in Gig Harbor, but I can meet you in Tacoma or Seattle.

I don't check this site often, so please contact me on clee03m@yahoo.com

Edited by clee03m

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
For Free (or trade for maybe a 6-pack of good beer if you're local): BD Wizkid. 2004-ish model. Very gently used, like maybe 6-8 times at the gym...pretty much good as new. Pick-up in SW Portland or I'll ship it.

Did you ever find someone for that wizkid? I've got a 6 year old that's got to climb. Would you PM me?

Thanks!

Ok, my bad OP from 2008!

Still looking though...

Edited by RJNakata

at 6 and 42 lbs your kiddo may be a bit big for this:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/fraggle-harness.html

but for reference or other parent climbers getting there little ones out on rock - you've got to check this harness out.

I worked in climbing gyms for some years, did a lot of b-day parties - the standard designs that have not reworked the concept are outdated and can be awkward and often leaves kids ping-pogging around in a webbing cage.

the harness is great, getting on and off is a cinch for my daughter which is vital cause kids hate hanging around in a harness worse than adults

the simba is an old outdated design. its whats been used in gyms for years.

the fraggle is much more innovative and breaks the old design assumptions that simba and other designs reinforce. ping-pong inside of a webbing chamber.

tie in options with the fraggle put the knot and rope away from the kids face and out of their way, so they can focus on what they are supposed to, holds and climbing, not knot and rope to distract

the simba is an old outdated design. its whats been used in gyms for years.

the fraggle is much more innovative and breaks the old design assumptions that simba and other designs reinforce. ping-pong inside of a webbing chamber.

tie in options with the fraggle put the knot and rope away from the kids face and out of their way, so they can focus on what they are supposed to, holds and climbing, not knot and rope to distract

Whatever...never had a problem with ours...Been through 3 kids just fine...

thats cool.

other parents might like a better product that costs less

just as some who climb with only nuts and hexes for years stick with that and others choose to go with cams and active protection

its all choices, making sure other parents know there are innovations to the kids harnesses just their are innovations to adult harnesses

Its the exact same harness with the same tie in locations. Yeah, sure, its got some foam in the legs and over the back/shoulders so it looks fancy. Same thing though...

Also, the foam will limit how far down the legs close up, and the back can be brought down.

Hype euro fashion...

Cheers and stickin' with my nuts and hexes!

Uh no. Not at all.

Uh I own both. Have both. They are completely different.

Either go to a climbing shop, check one out, see your wrong or keep convincing yourself you can't possibly be wrong.

Either way doesn't really matter.

The harness is an all new design completely different and its awesome. I know because I've seen it in operation head to head harness vs. harness.

You have? You've tried them both out? You've seen them both in operation?

Its where the looping braces more effectively that you eliminate negative space between the shoulders and torso.

The simba combines zero padding, zero contour and negative space when the lil climber goes from standing in the harness to actually arrested on the harness.

The fraggles contours padding into the "looping patterns" not only make it a million times easier to get on little ones, as it gives clear step in points and then backpacks the upper half easily over, it also eliminates that dead space between the should and torso - that even when you fine tune the simba, going from not weighting the harnesses to weighting it, there seems to also be that negative space that equals movement within the harness on lower = bruising around shoulders where the straps go.

Its minor - but the buckles on the simba and other like designs pinch into kiddo. The buckles system with the fraggile takes that metal away from pinching points on weighting.

Getting on and off, so much more intuitive and easier. And when your putting a harness on and off a 3 yr old it makes a difference.

These are subtle improvements. And to the adult climber would seem kind of ridiculous, but kids want to climb even more comfortably and they make a bigger deal about pinch points on the lower. Given the fraggle is a less expensive product that introduces padding and better ergonomics, why stand against progress

being a thinner webbing and more pad it the fraggile may break down over the years more and may not translate as a hand me down harness - but who goes kid to kid with hand-me down harnesses? Replace em for your kids just like you do for yourself - it is webbing after all

the extra tie in on the back - the company says its for particular terrain. I think its just great for keeping the rope out their face. its a bit different lowering orientation with that tie-in point though

Good luck lowering a kid in less than vertical/overhanging terrain if you've used that back tie in loop. Lowering is the most awkward and terrifying experience in climbing for most children, why would you want to make it more so by using the back tie in loop?

I'd rather leave kids with a rope in their face that they can grab on to then set them up to bash their little faces into the rock on the lower.

Looks like very little independent adjustment possible with the Fraggle, chasing slack through the harness to those two buckles might suck and be time consuming. Getting a comfortable fit comes down to proper adjustment, and kids are usually impatient so you need to be able to make your adjustments quickly. Not seeing how that is gonna happen with the Fraggle.

For the same price as the tried and true super adjustable and durable Simba, the Fraggle doesn't seem to be bringing anything special to the market except hip new colors.

Thats why it has two tie in points

keep looking and speculating on what the harness does BASED ON PHOTOS

do you own one JoeR? So how again are you giving feedback on what they do and don't do?

And you've put how many different kinds of harnesses on how many different kids again?

Why do you speak when you have no real input on issues other than to troll?

Troll away I guess. It seems pretty ridiculous when you obviously don't have a kid climber or any real input about kids harnesses out of a lack in using them....

I work with kids, teens, and adults constantly helping them get on harnesses, in both rock climbing and ropes course situations.

Why so defensive? It is just a harness for climbing. How does my opinion have anything do to with you exactly? Please don't answer here so this thread isn't destroyed.

Climbing gear, the new Apple products.

• 3 weeks later...