Marriage

i_like_sun

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. wood nymphs and gay climbing partners: I can see how wives could start getting uneasy feelings like this. For the wife/husband of a committed climber they probably feel a lot of the negative parts of being the "other woman" due to all the attention and time climbing takes away from the relationship. But how it's different from someone being, say, a "football widow", is that the climber is often far away, incommunicado for days (and night!) at a time, instead of being kept tabs on, comatose on the couch.

Yes, and this is what makes one day climbs more appealing... and easier to get away with.

2. wood nymphs and gay climbing partners: I can see how wives could start getting uneasy feelings like this. For the wife/husband of a committed climber they probably feel a lot of the negative parts of being the "other woman" due to all the attention and time climbing takes away from the relationship. But how it's different from someone being, say, a "football widow", is that the climber is often far away, incommunicado for days (and night!) at a time, instead of being kept tabs on, comatose on the couch.

Yes, and this is what makes one day climbs more appealing... and easier to get away with.

And coming home bloody and exhausted - just like some parties I've been to...

;)

Here are some stats for those of you who think that living together before marriage is good and like a test-run of marriage...

Those who live together before marriage have higher separation and divorce rates.

Psychology Today reported the findings of Yale University sociologist Neil Bennett that cohabiting women were 80% more likely to separate or divorce than were women who had not lived with their spouses before marriage. The National Survey of Families and Households indicates that "unions begun by cohabitation are almost twice as likely to dissolve within 10 years compared to all first marriages: 57% to 30%." Another five-year study by William Axinn of the University of Chicago of 800 couples reported in the Journal of Demography that those who cohabit are the most accepting of divorce. In a Canadian study at the University of Western Ontario, sociologists found a direct relationship between cohabitation and divorce when investigating over 8,000 ever-married men and women (Hall and Zhoa 1995:421-427). It was determined that living in a non-marital union "has a direct negative impact on subsequent marital stability," perhaps because living in such a union "undermines the legitimacy of formal marriage" and so "reduces commitment of marriage."

Those who live together before marriage have unhappier marriages. A study by the National Council on Family Relations of 309 newlyweds found that those who cohabited first were less happy in marriage. Women complained about the quality of communication after the wedding.

Sounds reasonable. We didn't live together (although she had a "drawer" at my place ;) ) and have been married almost 19 years.

We shake our heads at some of our friends that had these HUGE expensive weddings. Then bought big houses, had a couple of kids and within a few short years all but one couple is divorced. Which doesn't really matter, but it's hell on the kids. They all say they're adjusting fine, but I can tell you that I know I wouldn't want to sleep 50% at one place and 50% at another. Especially when they have a new family and I'd be second fiddle. But I guess it's ok, as long as the parents are happy. :rolleyes:

marriage is fun - my recent favorite moment: my wife calls a chick i work w/, who last year i spent a fair amoutn of time w/ since we were working on some shit together - anyway, she calls this chick after a year and lays into her, threatening her and shit in the finest of ghetto-fashion-style - then she wigs out on me like i've got a plan to cheat on her all this time and not believing i've ever been out climbing anytime i've said i was over the last year (like, given the choice between dealing w/ bitches and all their stupid shit and being in the great church of the alpine, i'd choose some fucking wierd pdx-creature?) anyhow, now all my bidness is the world's bidness and damn, it feels good!!!

ha, ha - mah-whaj! creating adventure out of the clear blue sky for centuries!!! waht's not to love?

Ha! My wife would definitely do that!

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) all of my climbing buddies are guys, so I just get accused of some "brokeback" action!

She suspects that all the pics I bring back are photoshopped.

And I think she's mentioned something about me meeting up and climbing with some hot mountain woman that none of my friends ever talk about. (We've been arguing over the actual existence of any "hot mountain woman, but I think I've seen that thread before.)

My wife would never pull that crap…..the trust between us is impeccable……not to mention she is an outstanding rock climber. I could go for a week to smith with another girl and she would not think twice about it. Matter of fact one of my regular climbing partners is a girl…..where have you been Pink_chalk?

I'm here! Lets go climbing. Submit your hallpass today! :)

marriage is fun - my recent favorite moment: my wife calls a chick i work w/, who last year i spent a fair amoutn of time w/ since we were working on some shit together - anyway, she calls this chick after a year and lays into her, threatening her and shit in the finest of ghetto-fashion-style - then she wigs out on me like i've got a plan to cheat on her all this time and not believing i've ever been out climbing anytime i've said i was over the last year (like, given the choice between dealing w/ bitches and all their stupid shit and being in the great church of the alpine, i'd choose some fucking wierd pdx-creature?) anyhow, now all my bidness is the world's bidness and damn, it feels good!!!

ha, ha - mah-whaj! creating adventure out of the clear blue sky for centuries!!! waht's not to love?

Ha! My wife would definitely do that!

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) all of my climbing buddies are guys, so I just get accused of some "brokeback" action!

She suspects that all the pics I bring back are photoshopped.

And I think she's mentioned something about me meeting up and climbing with some hot mountain woman that none of my friends ever talk about. (We've been arguing over the actual existence of any "hot mountain woman, but I think I've seen that thread before.)

My wife would never pull that crap…..the trust between us is impeccable……not to mention she is an outstanding rock climber. I could go for a week to smith with another girl and she would not think twice about it. Matter of fact one of my regular climbing partners is a girl…..where have you been Pink_chalk?

Kevbone I once was like you. Now it trust but verify. When you think someone in this world is without desires you set yourself up for shit. Anyone is capable of anything in the right circumstances.

Kevbone I once was like you. Now it trust but verify. When you think someone in this world is without desires you set yourself up for shit. Anyone is capable of anything in the right circumstances.

Young, strong and beautiful? What happened?

sounds like what happened was, like any good Seahawk, he got "sacked" by someone who wasn't on his "team"

The success of a marriage is inversely proportional to the square of wife's propensity to NAG.

So true!

And this is directly affected by the man's ability to simply do his chores without being asked.

Being in a relationship where the expectation is that the total work necessary to keep the household going is one thing, being in a relationship with some chick that draws up a mental checklist of "chores" for her husband that she monitors continuously and enforces with nagging and terse comments is something else entirely.

I don't know too many men who'd object to the former, or who could live happily with the latter.

The success of a marriage is inversely proportional to the square of wife's propensity to NAG.

So true!

And this is directly affected by the man's ability to simply do his chores without being asked.

:lmao: :LMAO:

So, does it go both ways??? ;)

Why yes, I do go both ways. Does that help?

Not really, as men we were hoping that it was one sided so we could scream discrimination, and pout on the couch with beer and football :P