Marriage

i_like_sun

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a story on NPR a while back that delved into the divorce-rate stats a bit. Sounds like the divorce rate for better-off folks who went to college has actually been trending down since the early '90's, and the divorce rate for poor folks without degrees has been holding steady and/or increasing.

Always thought that it was interesting that atheists/agnostics had the lowest divorce rate of any "faith" group. People that fall into this category may well marry at lower rates overall, and marry later in life, and the stats may not take these factors into accounts, but I still thought it was interesting, especially when held up alongside the stats for Baptist/Fundamentalist folks.

Religion % have been divorced

Jews 30%

Born-again Christians 27%

Other Christians 24%

Atheists, Agnostics 21%

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

What do you people think of the institution? Whats the point in ever commiting to "till death do us part" when the US divorce rate statistics are so pathetic?
My advice is to not worry about what other people do or what other people think. Make your own judgment. Weigh the pros and cons and decide.

I've been married for 24 years.

I got married in July. I'm super stoked. I've known since day 1 that i met my soulmate. Cheezy i know, but true. Our pre-nup was no cable tv. In my vows i said i'd clean the litter box, and she said she's ropegun my up a multi-pitch 5.11, i'm thinking astroman (astrowoman).

I think folks in my generation throw in the towel too early. Working through difficulties relationships builds character and deep intimate relationship. We are far too selfish for our own good. Relationships are hard, but there is a grand prize for those who endure.

On the other hand, my parent's generation hung on too long. My parent's divorce was the best thing that could have happened - 25 years too late in my opinion.

Just got back from my Grandparents 50th :tup:

My other grandparents had they're 50th earlier this year :tup:

That said my parents are divorced...

Personally I think they got married too young. They've both effectively too much like they're respective parents to some degree.

Mrs. Selkirk and I waited quite a while, as did my Sister and brother in law, and I think it was a good thing. CBS is right though, definitely something to think long and hard about, but definitely worth it if your up for it.

Whatever you do though make sure neither you nor your fiance believe in that happily ever after shit!!! While it can be fantastic and worth every moment and sacrifice, it's a job and compromise.

I think folks in my generation throw in the towel too early. Working through difficulties relationships builds character and deep intimate relationship. We are far too selfish for our own good. Relationships are hard, but there is a grand prize for those who endure.

On the other hand, my parent's generation hung on too long. My parent's divorce was the best thing that could have happened - 25 years too late in my opinion.

so lets compoimise and drag it out for seventeen years.

The divorce rate in the US is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be...

First off, the divorce rate has been declining steadily since the early 1980s. Secondly, the divorce rate increases rapidly with each succeeding marriage - meaning if your first two marriages fail, your third is almost certain to fail as well.

When you remove subsequent marriages, the divorce rate for first marriages is actually only about 25%. If both parties have a college education, the rate is only about 10%.

Another interesting tidbit is that social scientists in the 80's did an expirement where they polled wedding attendees to see if they thought the marriage would last. It turned out that the guests at a wedding where able to predict with nearly 100% certainty if the marriage would last. So, make sure you have one honest friend, and listen to their advice.

Me, I'm married ten years and I couldn't be happier. Easily the best thing I've ever done and it gets better every single day...

A teenager walks into a pharmacy, intent on buying condoms for his upcoming exploits. But he knows nothing about them, so he asks the pharmacist for advice. The pharmacist takes him over to the rack and shows him the different packages. He picks up the single pack and indicates this is the starter. Then he picks up the 3-pack and says this is next once you get into a good groove and expect a few encounters over say a weekend. Then when things get even more lively get the 6-pack for a really big weekend. The kid looks at the rack and asks about the biggest pack. The pharmacist says "Oh that's the 12-pack- it's for married guys. One for January, one for February,....."

My wife and I just celebrated our 10th anniversary.

We are perfectly compatible:

We go on vacation and she sits in the spa while I hike/climb.

She doesn't drink beer, so that means more for me!

I'd rather be in the mountains - she'd rather be at the mall.

She watches reality TV incessantly - Top Chef, Rock of Love, Top Model, etc. I can't stand that shit.

Kidding aside, we have all the really important things in common, and almost none of the the little stuff. For me, that keeps it more interesting.

Agreed. It's nice that you have that understanding, but just imagine if your wife insisted that you accompany her on trips to the mall, sat home and festered while you were out climbing instead of pursuing her own interests, etc?

Scary-stuff. I've seen it. Look before you leap.

yeah, money is the top reason people divorce.

I thought is was sex.....or lack of.

Thats why people have affairs. Or at least why men have affairs.

Dude, women have just as many affairs as men.

True, but for different reasons.

I know of at least one marriage that broke up because the wife had a woman on the side.....