Marty Asked about hood river choss

area51

steep basalt/choss cliffs around Hood River?

I assume you know Elmo, seeing you are from Spokane. He has developed the bypass.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/washington/the_bypass/105882219

He also mentions some harder stuff here:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/pacific_northwest_partners/looking_for_portlandhood_river_climbers_who_want_to_train_hard/105853983

But I have not talked to him about it. Maybe he will add something here...

I have rapped some stuff on Broughton Lumber's land. It was a steep wall of balanced blocks (like 100's of em) above some moderately steep stuff. To much work/danger/private land for me to pursue.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

marty, the best choss IMHO is the boldering up at Rowena Crest, halfway between HR and teh Dalles. Similar to teh Happy Bolders with less pockets and less choss. Nice overlook of the Spit kiting spot too. Got a new Ocean Rodeo 12m Rise, handles like a 9m with the pull of a 16m.

BooYAH!!!!

take the old hwy from hood river to rowena (rowena road maybe?), when you see a bluff that runs about 1/4 mile along the road, 15' tall or so, you're there.

there's also more boldering (and probably some sportchuffing) down the other side (rowena side) from the crest, talus landings so bring padz.

good boldering out in the basalt scablands in the dalles too, between the hwy and the river after the river makes the big turn just east of the "secret spot"