mt adams condition

dwellcome

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams is in kick your ass condition. The trail is 99% covered with snow from the intersection with the round the mountain trail upwards. It took us 8.5 hours to reach pikers peak, at which point we were exausted and called it a day there. We made it back to the trail head in 3.5 hours.

I highly recommend a very early start, we started at 5am and I wish now we had started by no later than 4am. We moved fast for the first two hours over the iced snow, making it to about 7900'. But as the sun came up and started softening the snow things got much harder.

Above the lunch counter there is at least a foot of new snow which I was sinking about 6" inches into with each step. Once you crest pikers peak, that seemed to go up to about 12"-16". The only two guys I know that made the peak that day (they left the trailhead at 4am), said it was another 2 hours to the peak. If you don't have steps to follow it will be very rough.

It was an absolute blue bird day and no wind. The sun was just beating us down on the Suksdorf ridge up to pikers peak. We both got wicked sunburns on this section.

Post holing was very bad in the afternoon on the bottom half of the mountain (lunch counter) and down to about 6600'. I'm 6'7" 215lbs. and was going into my thigh.

All that said we had a great time and at least I now have a good excuse to go up again. I'll post some pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

My bro and I did the Stormy Monday Couloir yesterday, its on the north side. The conditions were pretty good, easy approach still and super solid tool placements on the steep stuff. The snow was all quite hard and we made good time moving over it since we didn't have to deal with any post holing bs. The wind was crazy strong though, it actually blew us over while we were standing on the snow slopes below the route.

Conditions for skiing the South Spur are in great shape as of today. Even the SW Chutes look good. Very little wind after sunrise. On way down, made it past the around the mountain trail junction before having to hike back to the car, although the skis took a few rock hits near the end. Nothing a file can't fix. Picture or two in gallery.

I am thinking of going for adams this weekend (11/10). I would leave Saturday (tomorrow) after work and camp somewhere around 6-7000ft, then go for the summit on Sunday. Does anyone know what the current snow conditions are going to be like? I would really like to ski it rather than hike if the snow is in reasonable condition.

until today there was some snow at the 6000 ft level but not much. the conditions for this weekend are going to be miserable. high winds, very low temps (teens) and tons of snow. here is the forcast for the next few days for about the 9000ft level of adams.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=PDT&llon=-121.708747&rlon=-119.856247&tlat=47.027084&blat=45.174584&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=28&map.y=114