Grivel's New Tools

Scoffster

Though I'm a huge fan of Grivel products and greatly appreciate all they do for the community, what's up with their new tools? Specifically, I don't get the head configuration. If the pick goes on the Matrix (Light or Tech) or Quantum one will have to replace the entire hammer/pick configuration. Who wants to lug one of them up a long route?

Bit Perplexed?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who changes a pick on-route? wouldn't you change a pick at the car or camp, and have a spare tool instead?

also couldn't you just have the bad set of tools be w/ the follower and the leader use the good set? i suppose you could have picks on multiple tools break, but that seems unlikely.

speaking of broken picks, i recall egratz finishing the lead of the last pitch of Nemesis with a broken pick..

who changes a pick on-route?

:wave: I have. Though I probably could have continued climbing the route in the condition it was in. I noticed it after having a hard time getting it to stick.

Wouldn't you change a pick at the car or camp, and have a spare tool instead?

Why wait to change out your pick out if carry a pick and key in your pack? I have never wanted to lug a spare tool on a climb, it is much easier and lighter to have a spare pick.

I've broken pics and this can happen more than occasionally. Grivel's hold up pretty good but I've heard of BD's tips snapping more frequently.

It seems more practical to carry only a spare pic up a long route or when you're in a remote setting for few days.

As for the rubber scrunchy thing, compare the head size of just about any BD or P/CM tool to Grivel's. Their new design is much smaller (at least 1/2 the width of a Viper or Quark) and I'd imagine a bit more difficult to rest your palm upon while working your way up 800m of neve. Hence the rubber scrunchy provides an alternative grasping point. (Another strike against this particular design.)

Edited by Scoffster

The rubber thing does not make for an alternate grasping point.

It's entirely cosmetic, as TtB supposed. And it's ugly IMHO.

That said, even the normal matrix tools are so much lighter than my taa-k-oons that I might get a pair. I've a pretty light touch, I have not broken a pick except by being an ass on top rope in a quarry, and I might try the light variant for the alpine. It feels good in my hand here in hot as crap (80degree) NYC right now...

Grivel picks don't break, they bend. If they break then you've done all you can. However, their tools will break occasionally. The racing wings didn't just disappear because they were too expensive.

I'm not sold on the whole forged head bullshit, but I have full faith in grivel. They have been at the head of every single evolution in the ice tool species. While other manufacturers have fine tuned and built upon their ideas, grivel is generally the first.

In regard to the head width. If you are busting up another 800m of neve after having climbed a route that required you to use a technical ice tool, then you'll be far more psyched that you are cramponing up neve and not post holing through powder. The skinning head will be the last thing on your mind, or at least for me. Besides the tool is wayyy lighter.

I've only used the Quantum Monsters and they are badass. I look forward the swinging the others in the line. I prefer grivel. But Most of the technical ice tools out there do the job. This quantum series tools are crazy expensive.

Hey ice season is upon us, hell yeah.

grivel pics dont break, I call BS! I left a inch off my cascade pic in Casade in Banff..! But I have heard many accounts in the recent of the pics bending a little. which until recently is abnormal. I have beat the hell out of their pics but until recently have had no issues...

I held and swung the new Grivel tool the other day, and liked the feel of it, but personally if I were going to get a Grivel tool I'd still go for the Alp or Light Wing because the one piece head just seems wierd to me. Gotta wonder how light is too light also. The Alp Wing is too light for some, and this is 100g lighter.