North Face of Hood

pdk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine that things are formed up yet, just a guess. Might take a little while longer. Things might clear up enough today for you to get a glance, so go take a ride around the east side and let us know.

Historically, November/December are the best months for the route, but I'm sure there's a lurker out there that's done it in October.

Yeah, i don't remember ever getting up there this early in the season before. But its been colder/wetter than usual. I think the key is to get good conditions while still being able to drive to cloud cap. Because i'm lazy.

I was up there over the weekend, don't have time now to dig out the camera and post pix right now but will try later tonight.

Seems to me that the gullies were not "in" - mostly a bit of fresh snow over rock. It looked like there might be a couple of icy runnels off the cliffs climbers left of the N face.

more later- stay tuned

here's some pix from last sunday, I was thinking of getting in some turns on the snow dome but a combination of a late start and the trashed condition of the elliot crossing turned it into a jaunt with skis on my back...

This one is from near where the temp. bridge used to be - there's now a huge gully there where you can practice your batmanning skills on the fixed ropes

north_side_oct_7.jpg

then here's one from a bit farther up the Elliot:

north_side_close_oct_7.jpg

It was sure beautiful up there on sunday. I was hiking in my polypro shirt and sweating while all around it was cloudy and drizzling. At the time there was a dusting at the TH and along the way up it got deeper with drifts up to my knees. the dome looked like it had ample freshies, with the upper crevasses still open, but I'm sure all that has changed with the warmer temps...

It was perfect conditions and truly a windless, beautiful day. We wasted an hour at one point when I decided the somewhat snow covered main trial looked better than the ridge and ended up kicking steps through some REAL hard snow for a hundred feet or so while hanging on to Savio but we still made it to top of the hill in about 4 hours. He is a real trooper. Of course the 5 cup thermos of cocoa he packed helped a lot!

I would call by close of business day today and ask specifics. With the forecast for 15" - 20" of snow by Sunday at 6K (and lesser amounts as low as 3500') I'll bet they shut the gate today. Even if they do not the road may be impassable anyways. Just the mud made it interesting in spots last Sunday for my old Sentra.

Hood River Ranger station Phone number is 541-352-6002