Grivel North America Hyalite Ice Breaker

John Frieh

Posting this for JoJo regarding the upcoming Bozeman Ice Festival:

Grivel North America is proud to present the inaugural "Hyalite Ice Breaker" INVITATIONAL; bringing 10 of the world's greatest climbers to Bozeman as they attempt to climb as many routes as possible in one day in America's most concentrated natural ice venue-Hyalite Canyon.

Our own local veterans, however, will be on hand to give the A-team stars a Montana-style whipping as they compete for over $2,000 in prize money on November 29.

But just because you might not be a world-famous climber doesn't mean you can't be part of the Hyalite Ice Breaker. Our OPEN Class on Saturday, December 1st is the world's only competition open to ice climbers of any ability and experience (as long as you can lead climb).

Separate Advanced and Recreational Divisions leave up for grabs a whole raft of top-notch equipment and apparel from Grivel and other sponsors of the Bozeman Ice Festival; and perhaps more importantly bragging rights.

Go big and take top spot in the Advanced OPEN Class and earn an automatic invite to next year's INVITATIONAL where you have the opportunity to climb and compete with the best ice climbers in the world, a chance at cash prizes and perhaps your name inscribed on the Invitational "Grivel Golden Ice Axe" -the Stanley Cup of ice climbing.

OPEN Class prizes will be awarded in both the Advanced and Recreational Divisions. Additional prizes will be awarded for other accomplishments, including: Top Men, Women & Mixed Teams, Top Team Under 21, Hardest Pitch, Most Pitches, Most Creative Team Name, Best Outfit and whatever else we can come up with.

Check the attachment for rules and such. See you in the canyon!

3803-IceCompFlyer.pdf

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As a reminder...

There are two days of Hyalite Ice Breaker. The INVITATIONAL is Thursday November 29th and is limited to 16 climbers. This is where Pete Tapley, Whit Magro and all the other hard core locals will be competing against Guy Lacelle, Sean Issac and others.

The OPEN division on Saturday, December 1st is open to everyone (that means you!) and hard core local knowledge will be less important than simply an ability to get after it at whatever grade you climb. The overall winner of Saturday's event get an automatic invite to the Invitational the following year.

We will score all the climbs and if you climb two or more routes above a certain level you are automatically in the "advanced" segment. Otherwise you will be in the "recreational" segment. So you can actually climb no harder than WI 3 and 4s and still have a chance to win prizes.

Hope to see you out here. We need you all to come out and help beat out the road so we can keep it open longer! BTW: the Sphinx is in and getting climbed lots and I'd bet Ice Dragons is in too. Come and get it.

• 3 weeks later...

The pro invitation only version ice breaker is Friday Nov 30th

The everyone else (i.e. the one you and I can enter) ice breaker is Saturday Dec 1st.

I will be in Bozeman Thursday night - Sunday night... anybody else headed over?

Should be any awesome weekend and a great way to raise money to save access to Hyalite Canyon! Schedule :rawk:

I got those days off work and am pumped for this event. nOOb, that I am, this will be my first time at an ice fest and doing some routes besides Alpental Falls.

I asked the BD rep last night at FF if there will be Cobras to demo. He said their first batch of 50 will be ready next week and he is hoping to skim a couple off. Still there should be plenty of Vipers to demo.

I got those days off work and am pumped for this event. nOOb, that I am, this will be my first time at an ice fest and doing some routes besides Alpental Falls.

Awesome!

If you dont already have one (this means you alpinedave :laf: ) the guidebook winter dance is being offered @ 20% off for the fest... I'd say pick one up while they're on sale as you will only end up coming back after you visit the canyon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...